#1 07-25-2011 8:14 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Mc 13: the sneeze

Hello guys and girls,
With summer being a ripe time for hayfever, it seemed most fitting to produce this fortnight's (finishing monday 8th) challenge on sneezing!

Sneezing seems a wonderful challenge for animation due to its anticipation and involuntary reaction. Some catch us unawares and spring up when least wanted or expected. The moment the sneeze is released, pretty much anything could happen, so be creative and have a play with the idea.

To give you an example of a possible solution to the challenge, please check out this beautiful animation by Stina Boberg, inspired by Sneezy the dwarf.

Direct Link

Again the animation could be aware between 75-125 frames. If you have any questions about submission requirements, please check How-to-Participate section for more details.

Most importantly have fun!

If you wish to see more of Stina's recent work, please check out her 11 second club thread.

Thank you!

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (08-01-2011 5:34 pm)

#2 07-28-2011 3:27 am

ankitgokani
Helper
Karmojo: 19

Re: Mc 13: the sneeze

wow man nce topic i am in let the fun begin

Keep animating!! be motivated...
Student of Animation for life

#3 08-02-2011 7:44 am

Patrick Kern
Rockstar
Karmojo: 74

Found some really nice ref on the web :-)

Direct Link

cheers Patty

#4 08-02-2011 6:15 pm

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

#5 08-03-2011 8:00 pm

stacey1983
Tipster
Karmojo: 24

Hey Guys big_smile

Finally got around to do the blocking stage, havent keyed any facial expression yet but please give any feedback as that would be brill, and if I uploaded it wrong again, let me know.

Direct Link

#6 08-03-2011 8:36 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

hey stacey, as much as I would love to see people tackle these challenges, not sure if it would benefit you tackling simplier ones first. This reasoning is based upon also checking out your reel. There are a few big ik popping issues and your walkcycle on the black rig needs some work. Possibly a few ball bounces, pendulums etc may help. Then a vanilla walk cycle. I think you have some really great ideas and look ambitious to do well, just believe with a little patience first, you could be flying.

#7 08-04-2011 12:35 pm

stacey1983
Tipster
Karmojo: 24

lol yeah I know I need to improve on my showreel, I was considering to start from the basic but if you suggest I need to, then I shall cos at the end of the day, you know much more about this than I do big_smile

but could you possibly give me feeback on this weeks challenge until i finish ( don't like starting what i cant finish lol) and then I shall have a look at the old challenges for the basic smile

cheers for the suggestion though

#8 08-07-2011 7:58 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

hey stacey, sorry about the delay. I think there are many, of which looking at your reel, I'm not sure if you're going to be able to fix.

The hand moving at start, it looks robotic. Although an audience would know its done on computer, the idea is to create the illusion of life, pull the wool over the audience's eyes. Here you clearly see the rotations of the wrist. Both timing and posing are off. If the hand was going to move to that extreme, it would most likely also affect the rest of arm.

The sneeze, I like the idea of the sudden reaction. However, not following a smooth arc could work in some stylized cases, otherwise, it looks like he goes back, stops in in air, then falls. And everything moves at the same time.

Moom's final left elbow position looks forced. And there is no weight placed upon it as he pulls himself up.

There are many things that could be fixed, however to understand all of them, you would benefit from doing an easier exercise where there is less to think about. Its why its often a bad idea to leap straight into the monthly competitions. Its all cool and exciting to be able to act with the rigs, but the whole understanding of movement is based upon simplier exercises such as the bouncing ball and pendulums. Animation Mentor introduce a new aspect per exercise. First ball with legs, then spine, then arms, then pantomime, then acting. And this is a long process with some of the best advice in the world.

I wish you luck of course, and cheering you on to be massively successful. Just take your time

#9 08-08-2011 2:42 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Is this due by the end of the day or did I miss it? I got a late start with the confusion-over-how-long-a-fortnight-is, and I'm still working on my sneeze.

EDIT: Here are the keys, semi-timed out. Obviously pretty dang early here...

Direct Link

Last edited by JKR (08-08-2011 3:40 pm)

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#10 08-08-2011 4:32 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

hello jkr,
looking good and I love it that the challenges are attracting 2d entrants, something I have been hoping for from the start. I have seen another animators sneeze, which is also 2d smile

the challenge always seem to officially end on the monday, but unofficially, its posted a few days later. When do u believe u will be done??

Also, just need deciding now upon the next challenge. decisions, decisions! smile

#11 08-08-2011 5:29 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Well as animators we're never REALLY done, are we? smile

But as far as when I can get it to a point where I'm at least okay with submitting, I could probably get it there by the end of the day if I spend most of today on it. So I'll try to get it tied down a little better by the end of the day and post the link here. Thanks!

Good luck figuring out the next challenge, too!

---

#12 08-08-2011 6:49 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Cool wicked. Just to let you know, the presentation of the challenge will be delayed by a day, but for a good reason. Something to help the 3d people.

For those who wish to get a head start though, the challenge will be to leap from a diving board. Suggested by Wolfor and a great challenge it could be smile

#13 08-08-2011 8:37 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Yow, next challenge is a tough one! Fun, though.

So here is my final sneeze. It's still missing a few dozen in-betweens (I wanted it to be smoother) but the basics are there. If I had another year and a half I would redo it about five times until it matched what I have in my head. smile

But the timing is decent enough, I think, and it works alright. Time to get back to drawing practice so I can get my characters more consistent and dimensional!

Direct Link

---

#14 08-08-2011 9:16 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Apologizes on the toughness. Wolfor's idea, but its a goodun!

Your sneeze looks cool. May I ask is this pen and paper or if not which software did you use?? I'll mention it in the post, which may encourage others to explore a similar option.

I'm pleased to report, there have now been three recent entries that are 2d smile If you have time, I know my friend Elliot would love to hear your thoughts on his swing. Thank you

p.s. @paddy, the sneeze is pretty sick. I found it a while ago and it put me off my sandwich!

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (08-08-2011 9:17 pm)

#15 08-08-2011 9:21 pm

Jesse

OK I have been trying to get one of these done for so long, next one IS GOING TO HAPPEN! But I need to get a head start. Diving board eh? GREAT idea! I already have a couple concepts swimming around in my head. I'm going to start playing around pending official MC announcement!

If I don't get this next entry done, I need someone to come to my house and beat me with a large fish please.

-Jess

#16 08-08-2011 9:34 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Hello jesse,
great to hear you participating. I think you helped Robbo with his 'making toast' acting piece a few months ago and I have kept track of your comments since. I'm also a big fan of JKR's passion for traditonal animation. Big smiles to see you both involved.

If you wish for a headstart, you should find a diving board set up here through this drop box link. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10299684/springboard.rar Its been produced by Wolfor, and we hope to host it on the blog so people can practice this body mechanic exercise in future.

The only reason for delay is a quick example is being produced to give a few people an idea of what to do. If you already have a few ideas, don't fret to start. Average frame count for this is 100-125 at 24fps, while it should be produced to a 16:9 format. Hope you have fun!

#17 08-08-2011 9:35 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

thelittlepenguin84 wrote:

Apologizes on the toughness. Wolfor's idea, but its a goodun!

Your sneeze looks cool. May I ask is this pen and paper or if not which software did you use?? I'll mention it in the post, which may encourage others to explore a similar option.

I'm pleased to report, there have now been three recent entries that are 2d smile If you have time, I know my friend Elliot would love to hear your thoughts on his swing. Thank you

It's 6B graphite stick on good ol' animation punched paper over my home made light table:
http://www.fredthemonkey.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/LightDesk_byJKR.png
http://www.fredthemonkey.com/blog/?p=333395
Normally I would use a Col-erase blue pencil, but I've been moving towards graphite and I really love it. It rubs off more easily, but the feel is great. Not quite as great as charcoal, but if I try to animate with charcoal I imagine I will make such a mess I might never get clean. smile

I'd be happy to chime in on any others, where do I go to do that?

---

#18 08-08-2011 9:56 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

thank you JKR. Elliot's is held within the swing exercise on this post http://blog.11secondclub.com/2011/08/mc-12-swing.html

If you're able to, I'm not sure if you wish to write any comments on post itself for him. Maybe it'll encourage other people to do leave feedback too.

Thank you for your tips on the pencil. Just trying to find an easy method to get 2d people more involved. There's a few posts on the blog which are aimed at 2d, I just gotta sift through them and label accordingly. If you haven't seen it yet, you may find this one particularly useful http://blog.11secondclub.com/2011/04/dr … -doug.html

If you know of any others, please let me know. Some you mention may of course not be appropriate, depending on content. But if they are, it could lead to helping more 2d artists. Thank you

#19 08-09-2011 12:25 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Commented! I linked back to the Helpful Hint here at 11 Second Club on "Back and Forth" which really shows some nice moving hold stuff. Those were some very well done entries, now I feel like mine isn't good enough and want to go do it better! I guess I'll just put that effort into next months mini challenge.

EDIT: Blast, all I can think about is improving that sneeze now! Lol, I have WORK to do! tongue

Last edited by JKR (08-09-2011 4:17 pm)

---

Board footer