#1 07-12-2007 2:18 am

frank
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 33

First acting Scene July

Hi my name is frank. I been doing cg animation for two years at school: walk cycles etc. I will appreciate any comments for my blocking
thanks

Direct Link

#2 07-12-2007 3:28 am

Adriel
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 39

Re: First acting Scene July

Hey Frank. big_smile

Welome!

First off I think you should fix your camera cuts. The first shot isn't bad but when you cut to your next shot the camrea goes passed the 180 degree rule. When two charaters are talking and you rotate the camera over 180 degrees it makes it look like the characters jump to the other side of the screen and it can get confusing for the viewer.

Have you tried acting it out and filming yourself? It will help a lot with getting really strong acting poses and find little details you might not of thought of in your mind. Try to make the poses more stronger and have better silhouette of the poses, mail, and knife so the viewer can know right away what is happening.

I hoped I helped and I look foward to see your next update. smile

#3 07-12-2007 3:52 am

praveen
Tipster
Karmojo: 27

hey frank, since it is in the 'very' primitive stage in blocking... I've nothing much to comment of... but there is one thing i want to point out.... "THE CAMERA CUT" in the beginning... it was looking like the 'characters' were 'SWITCHED' all of the sudden. Sure there is a work around... usually with Live action Camera (especially on shoulder-overs)  people wont go for a 180 degree CUT.. instead they choose a partial angle "favoring" the initial angle.. just to avoid such confusions. Hope i am clear with following illustrations...

CLICK ON THE THUMBNAILS FOR LARGER VIEW

http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/20227/2006343181118439125_th.jpg

http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/20042/2006343566966496869_th.jpg

looking forward for the next edit,
keep it up.

-praveen
{ Edit: OOOOPPSSS....   lol  Adriel, first came up with the post when i was painting the image... anyways, he gave a better explanation... hope you understand it more clear now... }

Last edited by praveen (07-12-2007 4:13 am)

#4 07-12-2007 6:49 am

Grim Eddy
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 32

yes, the compostition of the characters is really uncomfrotable. where the characters exist in a scene is completely psychological. in your case the character with the red shirt starts out on the left, and the character in the silver starts out on the right. our minds automatically tell us that the left side of the screen is to be associated with the red shirt guy, and the right side is for the silver guy. it is very important to keep the characters on their respective sides of the screen, or at least relative to each other. if they are not set up like this it is very easy for our minds to catch it, and we instantly think something is wrong. and if you allow the audience to notice something like that, it takes them out of the scene, and that is the absolute last place you want your audience: out of the scene.

what i just described is known as the 180 degree rule, as adriel as said above. basically, draw a line going from one character to the next. think of that as a wall. whichever side you start on you must stay on; your camera cannot pass through the wall the characters create. that will ensure that your characters stay in the same psychological place. i learned this in my storyboarding class, so i'm sure if you pick up a book on storyboarding you will find it in there.

good luck on the rest of your animation, i look forward to your progress!

Animator in Progress

#5 07-12-2007 2:17 pm

frank
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 33

thanks for your comments. I was watching over the edge they use a similar camera cut but not exactly. This help me a lot

Board footer