#1 07-09-2007 7:52 am

aaroncmt
Rockstar
Karmojo: 76
Productive!

MyDemoReel

Hey guys I've just finished putting together my Demo Reel.  Let me know what you think.  All crits and feedback are most welcome: 

Direct Link

Cheers!

Aaron

Kiwi Animator

#2 07-09-2007 1:23 pm

Lokihaus
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 37

Re: MyDemoReel

page unavailable... no dice.

#3 07-10-2007 9:50 am

aaroncmt
Rockstar
Productive!

Lokihaus wrote:

page unavailable... no dice.

Sorry about that, I'm not sure why it wasn't working.  It was wierd, I clicked on the link and it went to a yahoo page.  I checked out my site, then clicked the link from there and now it's working?  Wierd.

Anyways, if the above link still isn't working try going here and then clicking on the icon pic of my reel... that should work:

http://www.geocities.com/blueneptunek3/aaroncmt.html

Cheers,

Aaron

Kiwi Animator

#4 07-10-2007 1:50 pm

Lokihaus
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 37

the first thing that jumps out at me is, start and end with your best stuff.  I think the "socks" clip is really well done and would make for the perfect ending for your entire demo reel... leaves the viewer thinking, yeeesss, I WANT to see more!

I say keep the girl as your opening shot.  And to keep it shorter and just have your best stuff, I think you could cut out the little bouncing ball w/ a tail and cut the following shot of the turn.  Not to say that they're bad, but just not as strong as all your other stuff.  I'd also look at the limp as a possible cut.  You know the saying... "less is more".

The only edits I would make to any animation would be the door pull.  It is a great idea but the character doesn't do anything when he sees he's in space... I'm "wanting more" from that little guy!  big_smile 

nice music selection, too... not too subtle and not too strong.

#5 07-11-2007 12:15 am

squeakykleen
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 30

I wrote this as a responce to the critique you wrote of mine but i might as well post it here as well"

cool professional feel. The only 2 things that sort of bugged me was [1] the ball with the tail sort of defies some basic laws of physics. secondary movement of the tail is cool, but the actual ball doesn’t really rotate at all so it makes it look unnatural. I would have it rotate to “look-up??  before it jumps and when it drops the tail would force it rotate down as it fell.  [2] for your raptor “jog-cycle?? ; I used to love dinosaurs when I was a kid and I remember reading that the raptors claws only came up for an attack. Obviously its just a theory, but it makes sense that if the animal relaxed then the effort to lift a big heavy claw on it the toe wouldnt be worth it. In fact because it was so heavy when the toe was relaxed you would probably get a secondary action of the claw rising and falling with the momentum of the foot. I think its cool though that you chose a more relaxed jog rather then a highspeed chase run. makes it seem more realistic because it was after all just an animal, not some evil killing machine.

The more I use a computer, the more that I want to draw with my pencil. The more I draw with my pencil the better I get at using the computer.

#6 07-11-2007 4:50 am

aaroncmt
Rockstar
Productive!

Thanks Michael (Lokihaus) and J (Squeakykleen) for your feedback,

Thanks for that, Michael.  I wasn't sure if the music would be too much.. thanks for your comments on that.
Yeah, I've got a lot of feedback about the 'socks' animation.  Yeah, maybe the end of the reel would be a good place... I've had comments that putting it at the start is a good place, too.  Yeah, you're probably right... I should cut out the bouncing ball, 180 turn, and walking stick clips.  I just don't have that much content right now to show... In the near future, that will hopefully change. 

Thanks for your insites, 'Squeakykleen' (J Saunders).  Yeah, I guess I should take another look at the bouncing ball clip... I may cut it all together, though and have most of my shots just character animation shots.  Good point about the Raptor clip.  I hadn't thought about the toes like that before... I think I need to focus on the secondary animation in general. 

I've just found out my site has reached it's quota limit... so I've uploaded it to 'YouTube' in the meantime (I apologise for the poorer quality in advance... not sure why it came out like it did) If anyone else would like to crit... here's an alternate link:

Direct Link

Cheers,

Aaron

Last edited by aaroncmt (07-11-2007 4:57 am)

Kiwi Animator

#7 07-12-2007 2:23 am

squeakykleen
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 30

i love secondary action. i love machines with many difrent peices that work together Ive been a bike mechanic for 6 some odd years, and have been taking apart and putting back together everything thing since i was i child. id probaly be a decent rigger if i didnt hate math. another thing with your raptors run cycle is that it is exactly that, a cycle, "a loop." wich is good, becuase it shows organisation but at the same time you run in the the same sort of problem that you told me, where it gets a little floaty because its so mechancial. Its cool that you pointed that out to me, because i always concentrated so much on just getting the walk cycle to link properaly that i didnt even think to try and make it more natural after i copy/pasted the cycle one after another a few times for my demo.

The more I use a computer, the more that I want to draw with my pencil. The more I draw with my pencil the better I get at using the computer.

Board footer