#1 07-09-2007 5:39 pm

squeakykleen
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 30

my demo reel

hi, i just finished a 3d school [and looking for internship]. i used to love the 10second club and am happy that it has more or less come back. i cant wait to go after the next months competition. in any event here is my demo, i am interested in finding out what other animators think and their advice.

http://jsaundersstudio.com/video.html

Last edited by squeakykleen (07-09-2007 5:40 pm)

The more I use a computer, the more that I want to draw with my pencil. The more I draw with my pencil the better I get at using the computer.

#2 07-10-2007 10:02 am

aaroncmt
Rockstar
Karmojo: 76
Productive!

Re: my demo reel

squeakykleen wrote:

hi, i just finished a 3d school [and looking for internship]. i used to love the 10second club and am happy that it has more or less come back. i cant wait to go after the next months competition. in any event here is my demo, i am interested in finding out what other animators think and their advice.

http://jsaundersstudio.com/video.html

I just finished checking out your demo reel.  You've got some interesting content in there... Was that an 'All Black' rugby player in the second shot?  I'm a big fan of the All Blacks myself.  Anyhow, my comments are as follows:

Overall it's entertaining and the material you have is fine, but it's a big floaty throughout.  When the guy is pushing the piano, he should really put his back into it.  Really exaggerate that push... get his center of gravity a lot lower.  Exaggerate in general I'd say... Push the timing you already have... Have some bits faster than others.  Watch Ice Age and you'd know what I mean.  The T-Rex shot is good, but why is he chasing the rugby player?  You don't need the photoshop clips in there if this is for an animation job... that bit will be ignored.  I'd say with the animation you do have, add more breakdowns and or keys... don't have it all move at a constant speed, that is what's making your shots float right now... Keep going, though... your shots are definitely getting there! 

If you have the time, also let me know what you think of my demo reel... please be as brutal as you like:

http://www.geocities.com/blueneptunek3/aaroncmt.html

Also good luck if your entering for this month.

Aaron

Kiwi Animator

#3 07-11-2007 12:10 am

squeakykleen
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 30

Re: my demo reel

thanks for your advice, though i have some bad news about the "all blacks" rugby player, it isnít, though i did look at some rugby reference for running with the something ball shaped in his hand. Itís a model and rig I built my self. Its actually suppose to be an egg, but it doesnít matter, I just wanted "a run-cycle" that wasnít just "a run cycle". There were a few things that i wanted to try and show, run-cycle human, run-cycle dino, interaction between characters... so I wrote short and just animated pieces of it. Thatís why I photoshoped one of my storyboard panels just to show that I have an understanding of the pipe line.

Iíve started to re-do the piano though, and ill take your advice about breaking up the run cycles to make the less floaty.  Thanks for the tips. And I want to go after this months contest. Good luck to you as well.

As for yours, cool professional feel. The only 2 things that sort of bugged me was [1] the ball with the tail sort of defies some basic laws of physics. secondary movement of the tail is cool, but the actual ball doesnít really rotate at all so it makes it look unnatural. I would have it rotate to ďlook-up

The more I use a computer, the more that I want to draw with my pencil. The more I draw with my pencil the better I get at using the computer.

Board footer