#1 03-17-2008 1:34 am

yam
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 55

MAR WIP - Maestro

Hi, All!

I ve been trying to participate this contest since 10sec, but never got, so I decided this month I will. So, this is my WIP up to now; I spend about 25h on it. The lowman is a maestro, and not sticked yet, but he will have a sheet of partition on left hand. Hope to finish it this time. All comments and critique are really welcome. Sorry my bad English.

Direct Link

Last edited by yam (03-17-2008 1:39 am)

#2 03-17-2008 2:24 am

erikwestlund
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 44

Re: MAR WIP - Maestro

Nice weight and energy Yam! Lots of polish in what you have done so far.

Hand gestures and poses have a lot of believability. The one main exception to this is the left hand staying stationary towards the end. I like how you use the change in weight, shifting body weight around to create reversals in the line of action. Very good use of pantomime. Rhythm of head/jaw on the words "...a huge section" works. Its a nice approach to adding emphasis to the line being spoken.

I assume the face has not been touched yet, hence why not change in expression.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Last edited by erikwestlund (03-17-2008 2:25 am)

#3 03-17-2008 2:55 am

yam
Model Citizen

Hey, Erik!

Yes, I did a "Italian" aproach on this maestro, with a lot of gestures, talking more with hands than with mouth. The left hand and face is a bit more WIP than the rest. But Im very motivated, so next update I hope to deliver a complete preview.

Thanks your kind words.

#4 03-23-2008 4:32 am

yam
Model Citizen

Hi. Some poses more, terrific after 200fr because the computer interpolation, but I couldnt resist and post it. With frame counter this time. As aways, critiques are very wellcome.

Direct Link

#5 03-23-2008 5:25 am

eric s
Administrator
Karmojo: 26
Administrator

Hi Yam,

I like a lot of your ideas and the direction you're heading in.  A lot of really nice realistic motions--excellent!   smile   I have two notes that I think would help improve things:

1) Some of your gestures feel a little busy.   For example, around "section of my music," the screen left hand is doing a lot, and it distracts my eye from watching the rest of the action.   I think that if you could find a way to simplify some of your hand gestures, it would help to feel the poses that you're actually hitting.

2) Who is your character speaking to?   I don't get the sense that he's talking to anyone in particular--even a sideways glance at a specific point once in a while will help give the feeling that this character exists in a real space and is actually communicating to someone.

Good luck with the piece--I look forward to seeing more!

The world is full of diamonds; go out and find them.

#6 03-23-2008 6:50 am

flowerman
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 30

Some of the gestures makes him look like he is wrapping to some sort of hip-hop music. I think you should tone those down. Other than that its looking nice. I really dig the first one.

Last edited by flowerman (03-23-2008 6:51 am)

#7 03-25-2008 7:34 pm

animone
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 36

its looks like what the charector try to do withouth paper in hand.......
and last of the part u have to work ....
that is natural motion.......

#8 03-25-2008 10:51 pm

Chab
Tipster
Karmojo: 30

Good work. As said before, the motion is realist.

I can't said what he is doing at the end. Is he hiding because it's horrible that his art isn't recognized? Or it's to hard for him? It should  be more apparent.

Keep going, only a few day left.

Charles

#9 03-25-2008 11:14 pm

lawtan
Participator
Karmojo: 7

Hi!
Great work! I like this realistic animation but i feel that you should work on the pauses.
Sometimes, the guy seems to be floating, sometimes he almost mixes one movement with next.

Sorry my bad English too!!!!!

#10 03-29-2008 12:28 am

yam
Model Citizen

Hi, Everybody! Thanks for your incemptive words.

Im a bit delayed... but Ill try my best next few remaining days to push this animation further I can, so, indeed I have short time to follow your advice, I ask for them, cause I think its most important to learn than finish, at this stage of my animator aprendice life heheheh

eric s: Thanks your words, really! I follow your advice and cut off some concurrent gestures, let me know what you think. And I interpret this "dialogue" more like a monologue, that some guy is complaining with himself, in a very eccentric and introversive way to express his feelings. Actually I was between monologue and interaction with spectator in the beginning, and I choose monologue, putting the partition to interact with.

flowerman: heheh the "hip-hop" gestures was toned down

animone: Now he have his partition in hands.

Chab: Thanks for remind me about the time... tongue hehehhe The final gesture, when he embrace his head with left arm is because hes desperate, cause he realise hes on a situation he could do nothing. And youre right, the final part, more than the rest is in progress, and its not showing this expression clearly. Still the same on this update....

lawtan: Hi! Youre right, Im working on pauses and curves, but still in progress, so you see most of it adjusted by computer yet, Im trying to fix it. Thanks!

And about natural movements, its a good thing or it was expected to be more cartoonish? In this case, I put some Italian characteristic on this character, so I can practice more hand gestures. Let me know what You guys think about.

A little update, with more hands (not finished), the partition (draft but I intent to redo it after all, so you can consider it finished hehehhe), still very draft after he stands up, and 0% of facial expression and -20% of lip sinc. Critiques are very welcome. Thanks!

Direct Link

#11 04-01-2008 3:37 am

yam
Model Citizen

Half finalized... And Im half dead... Never work so quickly to try finish some animation... In true, have never work as animator... Im studant, so, as aways, Your critiques are very welcome. Thank you.

Edit: I mess it up changing the camera at last minutes, so the last part become non clear. Ill render it again!   XP

Direct Link

Last edited by yam (04-01-2008 3:43 am)

#12 03-19-2009 10:02 pm

yam
Model Citizen

Update, but still WIP:

Direct Link

#13 07-11-2009 5:08 pm

yam
Model Citizen

Hi! This is an update, and I fell this is my limit; I realise its not perfect, but cant see how could be improoved.... so Ill apreciate a lot for any comment or chritique. Thanks!

Direct Link

Last edited by yam (07-11-2009 5:09 pm)

Board footer