#1 05-22-2010 11:32 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

Edited until further Notice

Edited until further Notice

Last edited by Camaro (06-06-2010 10:00 pm)

#2 05-23-2010 5:00 am

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

Re: Edited until further Notice

I love this idea, the main issue I have with this format is only having 24 hrs for each competition. I really worry that with such a limited time frame, not as many people will be able to participate. I guess my solution to this is have it last all week, but give a time limit for how long you're suppose to work on the animation. This time limit could change based on what the challenge is (dialog, pantomine, acting, etc) So people have all week to find the time to work on their animation, but when they sit down & start, they can only work for 6 hrs (or whatever time limit we come up with) A lot of people have jobs, families, or busy schedules & only giving them a 24 hour window to compete will really limit the number of entries.

This is pretty much the exact same format that CGTalk uses for their Speed Modeling challenges & I suggest we do something similar, but obviously change it from modeling to animation. You can read about their format/rules here
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. … p;t=124788

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#3 05-23-2010 6:29 am

robcat2075
Celebrity
Karmojo: 68

Make it a four hour time frame.  See previous post in other thread on how that works.

Make it never about dialog.  I believe there's already a dialog event going on somewhere here.

"3D animators have pencil envy" - Robert Holmén
The world's most beloved Heavy Push
This is only a... my gallery of CG tests
I'm a 2D Wannabe...  drawings and 2D animation tests

#4 05-23-2010 8:26 pm

evilanimator_13
Helper
Karmojo: 12

It'd be really Cool & Fun, if we have a week instead of a single day ! & as KyleG said, we can fix a duration of time , Participants have to animate , after all we are doing this to improve ourselves, I hope everybody would be honest smile . And Can we try doing' Pantomime & Body Mechanics only ? as we have the Dialogue competition always going' on , just my view smile

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."    - Walt Disney

sumitarora06@gmail.com

#5 05-23-2010 8:36 pm

rarneson
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 51

Maybe extend the time depending on the complexity. 1 week for a body mechanics animation. 24 hours for a multi-bouncing ball. 4 hours for a walk cycle. 3 days for something inbetween. Etc... You can also run multiple shorter sessions during the week so if someone misses one there will be another along shortly.

http://www.wheretheheck.net/demoreel.htm | Updated! (8/28/2010) | \m/

#6 05-23-2010 8:44 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Yeah these ideas are coming together. I'll edit it sometime today.

#7 05-24-2010 8:09 am

robcat2075
Celebrity

At risk of beating my point to death I'll copy and paste here

Kenny Roy's Animation Showdown© worked this way...

You sent an email to an address and it would auto respond with that week's topic.  Always something elemental like "Bored to curious" or "Falling Down".   It was never a dialog or audio situation.

Then you'd have four hours from the time of your first email to send back an clip.  That way you could do your four-hour frenzy any time of the week that was convenient to you and not have to clear out a particular night.

At the end of the week all the entries were posted and we'd vote on them.

I suppose it would have been possible to "cheat" by using a pseudonymous email address to get the topic  early in the week and just pretending to have spent only four hours on it by using a different address at the end of the week.   But since there were no prizes at stake I don't think that happened too often.

I also liked the explicit guideline that it was not about the rendering, just the animation.

I prefer the idea of a four-hour challenge rather than a possible 1 week production.  It leveled the playing field for everyone whether they only had four hours to give to it in a week or could have spent 40.

I see it as sort of the animation equivalent of a gesture drawing.

I'd also add that there's obviously no posting of WIPs during the week. Submit your entry and chill until everyone else has too and then everybody can look at them all at once and comment.

Advantages:

-It doesn't matter what time zone you are in or what day of the week you have free.
-you just need four hours free in the one week window.
-the short time frame means simple topics,  minimum duplication of regular 11sec club focus
-simple topics are where a lot of 11 secers should be looking instead of dialog anyway
-the short time frame reduces the "i only had a few hours!" stuff.
-the short time frame keeps people from obsessing over something of minor importance.
-one per week is infrequent enough to not wear people out.

Doing a different challenge every day... I know that sounds like really hard-core and intense but the reality is not many people will keep returning to that when they have real stuff to do in their lives.  Once a week is a lot.

#8 05-24-2010 3:22 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 52

so do we have a final say yet? lets get this thing started! the kenny roy's animation showdown thing. though i still think there should be dialog in it.. it doesn't hurt to put one in... and if no one wants to join it, then we can take em out... once a week is perfect..

just some pointers i would like to stress out:

-keep topics simple!
-once a week
-1 forum for each category(pantomime, body mechanics, dialog)-still keeping things simple
-all wips go to personal work section
-final work will be posted on their respective forums(moderator locks forum until it is time to pass in animations)
-all work must be uploaded via dropbox or playable in quicktime format for better critique

camaro seems to do well with putting all the ideas together. It'd be great if you did..

Strive beyond the obvious... there you will find ART.

www.angelostacatalina.blogspot.com

#9 05-24-2010 3:25 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

I like rarneson's idea.

I have a little question though. These challenges are made for us to practice, right? So I'm just woundering how much comments and critique people will get on their work? I mean, if a challenge one week/day/hour is to make a walk cycle, will I get any critique here or would I be better of posting it in the Personal Work-forum?

Don't get me wrong, I love this idea, but maybe somebody could clarify this question a little.

(quote from wismeier)

I think you will get better and more critiques since we are all conjoined to doing the same topic. plus it will be mandatory to use quicktime format for better viewing... thus better critiquing... There aren't guarantee's but if lots of people join in, this can really be something.. hopefully thats the case...

#10 05-25-2010 5:37 am

regi536
Helper
Karmojo: 11

Nice ...

#11 06-06-2010 9:57 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Edited. Revisions in bold.

I'll go ahead and get started unless anyone has requested revisions for the rules.

#12 06-09-2010 4:04 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

I would ask that everyone read's the revisions in bold and note to only post your WIPs in the OTHER WIP forum. We want to keep this area limited to the challenge results itself.

#13 06-09-2010 12:39 pm

dennisvolkerts
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 50

i think its a better idea to post it here in a a topic called mini challange Work in progress. im also a bit confused, but hey... this mini challange has just been started this week.

#14 06-09-2010 5:14 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

In my opinion this forum should be ONLY for the competition to keep things clean. The only way you should show a WP for a challenge like this is if you take it past blocking. Then post in the OTHER forums (I don't care which one). Otherwise, only post your final result in the appropriate thread.

Also, feel free to post feedback in the challenge thread itself.

Last edited by Camaro (06-09-2010 5:16 pm)

#15 07-16-2010 3:30 pm

robcat2075
Celebrity

Camaro wrote:

1. Download DropBox (https://www.dropbox.com/)
2. Register an account (it only takes a minute)

At one minute they were just getting "Josh" to Africa

#16 07-18-2010 6:37 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Hey there XitZist,

Firstly, I've actually been thinking about this lately, and your post has given me an idea of something to try from here on out. But, I'll answer your questions first.

1) Yes, you can, and that's the idea you have given me. I'm going to experiment with it and not have a due date, so you can participate at any time.
2) Yes
3) The time limit is indeed 24 hours. You can check each individual challenge for a specific time-limit, but besides the ball bounce, they've all been 24 hours. This means that you pick whatever 24 hour period best suits your schedule, and animate within it.
4) TBD simply means To Be Determined - meaning I've gone and overhauled the schedule and will post it tomorrow, along with the changes.

I hope this helps. Good luck smile

#17 07-18-2010 6:58 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Edited pretty much the whole post. The new format will start tomorrow.

#18 07-18-2010 5:13 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Well hopefully we don't have to worry about people "hitting and running" the challenges. In any case if they only want to participate in one of them that's their prerogative.

As these forums are still relatively new, it does have some kinks to be worked out. The first 6 weeks turned out pretty decent, but I would like to see more participation, and in my mind this new format is the best way to do that. If things are a little less formal maybe it'll encourage people to enter more.

#19 07-19-2010 8:40 am

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

When does the next one start?

#20 07-19-2010 4:47 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Sorry, meant to start it yesterday. Guess I lost track of time.

#21 08-04-2010 5:21 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

I have some suggestions.. Ive been observing and I think its a good idea that the challenge is open with no end.. I also think it would help attract more participants if the mini challenge would be a place where you can post things and critiques would be more then just brief... It would also be a good idea to have wips posted here as well.. I dunno.. since week 1, thats what is happening..

#22 08-04-2010 6:15 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Well, the way I see it, the challenge is far too short to post WIPS. It's only a 24 hour period, and so far people have been saying they've only spent 4-5 hours on the challenge itself, that doesn't really warrant posting a WIP per se. And because of that the only thing they need to post is the final thing, and in my mind it's easier for them to just post in the personal works section and not clog up this forum with tons of separate threads. If you didn't notice, I'm a stickler for clean posts and threads. I'll even go back and delete a post if I edit it and no one else has posted after just so I don't see the "Last edited by Camaro at such and such a time" thing.

I dunno, it could be just me and how I am, but I prefer to have the forum clean.

Board footer