#26 05-22-2010 7:03 pm

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

Re: animation challenge anyone?

Hmm, you know, normally we really drag our heels about creating new forums, since we don't want the main index to get overcrowded, but I think you guys are on to something with this.  So it'd be a separate forum, and inside would be threads for each mini-challenge?  Or would each mini-challenge have different threads for start/finish/results/etc?  Would people post their WIPs in that forum, or in the personal WIPs forum?

#27 05-22-2010 8:30 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

Yeah I'm thinking one forum dedicated to the challenges themselves, we can sticky this thread and another official rules/how to/faq thread, and then every other normal thread would just be details about the competition. And to keep things tidy they would just post their WIPs in the regular WIP forum. Of course, being that it's a short challenge, their WIP might well be the final product.

So basically there would only be one thread for each topic, with the details, a discussion about it, and people saying they want to enter. Then they simply post their final product when completed. I suppose there would need to be a separate thread to compile all the results and have a poll for the winner, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Unless anyone else has some different ideas...that makes the most sense to me. We would also need some official challenge "refs" so not everyone is going nuts and starting random challenges - in which case I volunteer myself smile

Last edited by Camaro (05-22-2010 8:32 pm)

#28 05-22-2010 9:43 pm

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

I like the idea of keeping the WIPs in the Personal WIP forum, since yeah, it'd keep it a lot cleaner in the new forum.  Maybe all the finished pieces could go in a single "finals" thread, to make it easier to view all of them at once? 

As far as choosing a winner, you guys can do whatever you want, but be aware that making it into a contest can really change the "tone" of the challenge.  People take winning pretty seriously.  smile  It can also be difficult to wrangle up enough voters for a forum-based system, I've seen this done many times, and you'll often end up with, say, 10 entries and 15 voters.  Not really a statistically useful sample.  smile  But yeah, whatever you guys want to do.  I'm thinking I might combine the "News and Announcements" forum with one of the others, since it's a little redundant now, and that'd free up space for a new forum.

#29 05-22-2010 10:51 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Sounds good aja. Once we iron out the details, I'll begin drafting a Rules/FAQ thread. And yeah I definitely agree that this should indeed remain a "challenge" rather than a "competition".

#30 05-22-2010 11:42 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 52

wow sweet. a lot happened since yesterday..  I agree with aja.. id be better as a challenge.

Strive beyond the obvious... there you will find ART.

www.angelostacatalina.blogspot.com

#31 05-23-2010 2:46 am

robcat2075
Celebrity
Karmojo: 68

ChocoBilly wrote:

How would that work? Is that like an audio file (or written description) shows up at a certain time and entries have to be in by 4 hours after said time?

Kenny Roy's Animation Showdown© worked this way...

You sent an email to an address and it would auto respond with that week's topic.  Always something elemental like "Bored to curious" or "Falling Down".   It was never a dialog or audio situation. 

Then you'd have four hours from the time of your first email to send back an clip.  That way you could do your four-hour frenzy any time of the week that was convenient to you and not have to clear out a particular night.

At the end of the week all the entries were posted and we'd vote on them.

I suppose it would have been possible to "cheat" by using a pseudonymous email address to get the topic  early in the week and just pretending to have spent only four hours on it by using a different address at the end of the week.   But since there were no prizes at stake I don't think that happened too often.

I also liked the explicit guideline that it was not about the rendering, just the animation.

I prefer the idea of a four-hour challenge rather than a possible 1 week production.  It leveled the playing field for everyone whether they only had four hours to give to it in a week or could have spent 40.

I see it as sort of the animation equivalent of a gesture drawing.

"3D animators have pencil envy" - Robert Holmén
The world's most beloved Heavy Push
This is only a... my gallery of CG tests
I'm a 2D Wannabe...  drawings and 2D animation tests

#32 05-23-2010 3:01 pm

unit187
Helper
Karmojo: 14

robcat2075 wrote:

You sent an email to an address and it would auto respond with that week's topic.

Something of that kind is the best solution it seems.
The thing is it is kinda hard for people who have significant time zone difference to participate if the challenge scheduled at the time which happen to be late night or probably daytime when they are at the work and obvious can't join the challenge.

#33 05-23-2010 8:14 pm

evilanimator_13
Helper
Karmojo: 12

Glad to see evrythings working in a very Cool Manner  ! ! Completely agree with Unit187 , regarding the timezones & Robcat2075 ,regarding the time used by the Participants smile Cant wait to see things Working smile

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."    - Walt Disney

sumitarora06@gmail.com

#34 05-24-2010 5:31 pm

dgreen7463
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 58

This sounds like fun!!

#35 05-26-2010 12:04 am

ieatp
Tipster
Karmojo: 29

i'll be down for this.  i need a lots and lots of practice.  my idea ..... a thread is made with a topic for the challenge... say its "Guitar Hero".. we would animate someone jamming on a guitar.   people post wips and stuff in this thread for feed back. 
then the mediator or comp leader will make another thread for final entries.  only entries can be entered at first before deadline.  in same thread the mediator stop comp entries.  and say it voting time.  we all look at the entries and vote on top three.  we enter our choices 1.2.3 then a lil comment on our choices if u want.  example:

1. bob-  i like this because of that
2. jill-  that was awesome i really liked.......
3.  fred - bla bla bla.   

at end of voting phase the results will be added and u have a winner for that challenge.   

instead of just character animations we can do inanimate objects and bring them to life.  try to portray an emotion or something thru acting. 

just an idea.

EDIT:  smile  didn't see the other thread.  unofficial rules and stuff   nvm

Last edited by ieatp (05-26-2010 12:09 am)

#36 05-26-2010 1:07 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

so who is willing to moderate this? like maybe 1 each category? and can the moderator join as well?

#37 05-26-2010 4:19 pm

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Well I've been uber busy so someone else is going to have to take over and get things going. I still have to edit the rules thread.

#38 05-27-2010 2:23 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen

ok.. lets get this thing started... ill come up with a topic this weekend.. hopefully camaro finds time to edit the rules.. can i get a tally of the people willing to join for next week?

#39 05-27-2010 7:49 pm

unit187
Helper

I will join for sure, just need to find some time besides main work smile

#40 05-29-2010 10:08 am

evilanimator_13
Helper
Karmojo: 12

yeah !  Count me in, lets hope time matches my timezone smile

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."    - Walt Disney

sumitarora06@gmail.com

#41 06-03-2010 8:11 pm

dennisvolkerts
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 50

i would love to do some mini challange smile so.... lets stop talking and start then! tongue

#42 06-04-2010 7:07 am

unit187
Helper

the one who came up with the idea gave up, thats what happening

#43 06-04-2010 8:08 am

Kreator
Upright Citizen

Well I've been super busy and haven't updated the FAQ thread, but once I do there's no reason we can't get it going.

#44 06-04-2010 4:28 pm

ivanlancaster
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 37

No worries Camaro, thanks for doing all this for us in your spare time smile looking forward to the challenges.

Board footer