#1 10-30-2007 3:41 am

dbag333
Tipster
Karmojo: 27

Working full time?

I know with enough time, quality wise, my work is competitive for entry level animation. but ...

am I fast enough?

I'm working full time at the moment, and if everything goes perfectly during the week, I can get 20-30 hours outside of work in on personal projects, but that is with top notch disciplin and sacrificing errands and such.

How many working on 11-second material are working full time?

And for those of you with industry knowledge?  bout how many hours does a 11 second, one character piece usually get alloted?

Like if one of these shots were to be assigned on a feature film, what would the deadline be?

-happy animating.  And I lookforward to submitting again in the future, once work settles down.

-dbag

Last edited by dbag333 (10-30-2007 3:41 am)

#2 10-30-2007 7:57 am

MrDriver
Tipster
Karmojo: 28

Re: Working full time?

Hi there,

I'm working fulltime in the cgi business. Most of the time as animator but sometimes I do other things as well like modeling.
I commute 4 hours a day, so for me it's kind of difficult to find free hours for 11 second club. I tried this month but it was
somewhat difficult. But I do enjoy it so it's worth spending some hours on it.

I don't know how many hours I've spend on my animation. Maybe 4 work days? I see myself as a slow animator
sometimes. But I'm working on that smile

- Peter -

#3 10-30-2007 5:44 pm

alonso
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 45

yeah, I'm working right now and I think I'll barely scrape an entry in this month. Been staying up til 1 many nights to make it happen, and it'll be a little rough, basically I've only had time to put one pass on things, and I won't have time for a polish pass. It's nice though because I can finally see my skill improving. I've picked up speed by having more experience, I go in and do things once now, instead of doing them with a lot of doubt and second guessing and fixing and changing, do it once and move on. Smoothed out from the root, so I only have to smooth out my curves once. And then going through basically straight ahead and keying in small antic's and follow throughs with the poses. I learned on this project to use head and arm align if I have it, so I don't have to counter animate the arms and head for little torso shifts. So basically experience and confidence have allowed me to speed up because I do it good enough the first time through because I know what it looks like at various stages I don't have to worry that I"m on the wrong path.

I can't remember what big studio schedules are right now, I'm thinking they'd get a week for a project like this, but I may be making that up. I bet you could find it in one of those ask the pro threads over at CGTALK or CGCHAR

-Alonso

#4 10-31-2007 1:30 am

DharAM
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

I work full time, not in the industry. After work I have quite few animation assignments since I've been involved with the production of the Tinwoodman of Oz. 11 SC gives me a nice break from the TWO project, but my toughest time is coming up with an idea for the clip. The animating part, well, that's a different story since I don't have a solid foundation - but at least I try smile

Oh, and the time; practically all after work hours and weekends are consumed by animating. 11 SC takes me two weeks from start to finish.

Last edited by DharAM (10-31-2007 1:33 am)

"Technology doesn't make the motion picture, people do. You're not an animator just because you can move an object from point A to point B. (You're) someone who breathes life into a character, which is something the software and technology can't give you."

- John Lasseter

#5 10-31-2007 3:42 pm

chopsokey
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 54

i'm full-time at a medium/small studio (anywhere between 15 - 50 people depending on the project)
i'm employed as an animator/ generalist. unfortunately the generalist is more in use these days.
mostly due to mocap projects, all the rage with game companies at the moment.

for 11 seconds full character animation, i'd expect about a week as alonso predicted.
some companies i know get longer, but some i know they get less. up to a minute a week.
for myself in production, ideally i'd like a bit longer. say a day a second to really polish things off. i wish.
a lot of time gets lost approving with the director, then longer with the client.

hopefully i'll be able to squeeze some time in for next months compettition
i'm feeling pretty rusty ....darn mocap sad

Andy Miller

#6 10-31-2007 3:56 pm

MrDriver
Tipster
Karmojo: 28

chopsokey wrote:

.... up to a minute a week...

Wow that's terrible.

- P -

#7 10-31-2007 4:00 pm

chopsokey
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 54

yup...and it shows.

some companies just want blocking i guess....straight to video for them.

Andy Miller

#8 11-03-2007 2:48 am

dbag333
Tipster
Karmojo: 27

Excellent, Thanks guys.

For some reason I had in my head about 40-60 man hours for 10-11 seconds.

Ya, I'm in preschool TV right now "animating."  and its really just shoot it out.  Bout 10 seconds a day.  Not a lot of character stuff, so when they need it , its hell, cause there is no time.

Valuable learning experience though.  I think I'd rather rig/shade/comp then have to animate this fast.  Keep practicing in me free time untill I can get on a better production.  Nothing worse then feeling like you might fail, at making a poor quality product.

The 11 second club is really taking off.  Some of the entries this time are really improving.  All the same school with the guy in the red shirt?

happy animating,
Stew

Last edited by dbag333 (11-03-2007 2:49 am)

Board footer