#1 06-20-2007 8:55 pm

heklopez
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 36

Hector Lopez June Competition

Heres my blocking stage. Havent done much with the mouth, yet. Let me know what you guys think.

www.vimeo.com/clip:217876

Thanks.

#2 06-20-2007 9:48 pm

Claymation
Celebrity
Karmojo: 61

Re: Hector Lopez June Competition

Hey man, nice start!  I really like the pose on "life", nice contrast there.

Keep it up!

#3 06-21-2007 2:43 am

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

Hey Hector, this is looking great!  Great choices, great contrast, love where it's going.  Don't have a lot to say for this pass, but you might think about working on making the fingers look more stressed in the final pose, clenching the table or something, and be sure to switch the arms to IK when they're touching the table!  smile

For what it's worth, her hand is tangenting the wine glass on "town", which isn't necessary since you can stage the glass, and if it's not hard to do, you might think about scooting the chair back just a hair when she does her quick move forward....  these are super nitpicky though, keep going with this!  smile

#4 06-22-2007 3:35 am

Anthony
Celebrity
Karmojo: 61
Power Voter
Productive!

Big Hec this is looking great. I really like that move forward.

#5 06-22-2007 10:14 am

aaroncmt
Rockstar
Karmojo: 76
Productive!

Not too bad.  Maybe don't have her lean forward like that the whole time, though... keep going, it's looking good.

Kiwi Animator

#6 06-22-2007 4:41 pm

Mythsnlore
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79

I very much like the setting idea here and bussiness with the plate. Right now "life" seems really melodramatic, but if that's what you're shooting for then you're definity on the right track.

Great stuff!

#7 06-23-2007 12:11 am

alexzemke
Helper
Karmojo: 19

Looking good, Hector!
I like the head shake at the end.
Are you blocking on 2's and 3's?
If so, rock on!

Alex Zemke

"Sleep is for dead people!"

#8 06-23-2007 8:16 am

heklopez
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 36

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Here's second pass in spline. So far I've roughed in the dialogue and played around with the timing a bit.

And Alex, yeah I just about did blocking in 2's and 6's. This way it's not too crazy once I switch to spline.

www.vimeo.com/clip:219663

Thanks again.

#9 06-23-2007 2:01 pm

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

Looking good Hector!  The first half has a bit of swimminess in it, on her hand and body as she withdraws into herself, so keep an eye on that as you go further with refining.  And now that you've got the arms in IK when they're on the table (good!) you're going to need to put a little love in them to make them not look IK at all (bad!).  smile  Be sure to have her body motion influence the hands on the table a little, like dragging them back a tiny bit when her body pulls back.  We move our hands around more than you'd think when they're resting on things, and I've found that I can't usually let a hand on a table be completely motionless for more than about 8-10 frames before they become noticeably IK.  The motion is very subtle, but it's there.  smile 

Also be sure to get some lovin' in on those fingers, show them "peeling" off the table when she lifts her hands instead of moving as one stiff unit, and get some antic and overshoots on them when she's using her hand to gesture. 

The eyes are looking unnaturally "locked" on their target when she's doing her big head shake, but it's been so long since I've animated a character with pupils, I don't remember what the trick is for avoiding that "locked" look!  smile

Overall this is turning out to be a good strong piece, great acting choices, great facial performance, now it's just a matter of refining and polishing!  Good luck, and let us know when you have a new pass!

Board footer