#1 09-30-2007 4:23 pm

red3d
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 51

Competition audio file choices

This isn't a complaint, but just a request for future audio file choices. One club member already commented that  September's audio file is not the kind you would want to put on a demo reel (which I agree with). On a side note, my 9 year old likes to sit with me during voting time and make comments (she's very good at spotting problems in animation), but I don't think I'm going to have her listening to "farty and bloated" over 40 times this month because I think I'll be hearing that phrase long after the voting period is over smile

What I think will ultimately serve the best interests of the club members for animations they can put in their demo reel are audio clips that have a great range of emotion without swear words or scatological humor.

Just my $0.02

#2 09-30-2007 4:35 pm

DharAM
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Re: Competition audio file choices

I agree that bathroom humor is frowned upon in a demo reel, but every now & then its OK for 11SC to put some variety. Afterall, 11 SC used to be the 10 SC so in the grander scheme of things this is a small deviation. Maybe once a year is alright to satisfy those who can't resist this genre of humor ? smile

"Technology doesn't make the motion picture, people do. You're not an animator just because you can move an object from point A to point B. (You're) someone who breathes life into a character, which is something the software and technology can't give you."

- John Lasseter

#3 09-30-2007 7:54 pm

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

Hey Red3D, thanks for the feedback!  Sorry to hear you didn't like the September audio file, I didn't realize it was offensive.  We try to choose clips that everyone will enjoy, though I'll admit that we did have a bit of fun with September's clip.  smile 

I do think it would be perfectly fine for a demo reel if you wanted to put it on there, what they're saying isn't overtly crude or scatalogical (though people can certainly interpret it that way in the animation if they want), and even if it was, bathroom humor is sort of integral to the US feature animation industry these days.  :p 

But yeah, we'll be back to a serious clip for October, hope that one works better for you!  Thanks again!

#4 09-30-2007 9:40 pm

GingerDave
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

While i agree that its something that i wouldnt put on my showreel (mainly due to me not being good enough yet)

But i think as an animator you could be asked to cover all sorts of things, and toilet humor isnt so far out there. Shrek anyone?

The Dude abides

#5 10-01-2007 5:07 am

MattG
Tipster
Karmojo: 25

I just wanted to say that I agreed about this one... this is a funny (and fun) clip, but I wouldn't have let my kids watch any animation I did to this clip yet.  So I didn't do any.  For the same reason, I wouldn't have put it on my demo reel.

Yes there are some crude references in current CG films, but they usually don't use the language so explicitly.  (The worst I can think of is the dung beetles in Ice Age 2 taking all their carp with them... And I still don't find it an appropriate joke for my kids. smile  Yeah I'm probably a prude that way.)  I don't think we need to encourage that trend by putting it in demo reels, and you never know who might be offended when you send your reel out.  My 2 cents.

#6 10-01-2007 5:44 am

aja
Administrator
Administrator

Got it, we'll be sure to avoid anything bodily-function-related in the future.  smile

#7 10-01-2007 1:17 pm

brendanfagan
Celebrity
Karmojo: 64

I think Farty and bloated is fine. They are not swear words. They are human body function. (Oxford dictionary)

If Disney and Pixar can use these words why can't 11 second club.

Honestly. come on. and Im sure your kids hear worst at school

Last edited by brendanfagan (10-01-2007 1:26 pm)

#8 10-01-2007 2:47 pm

Warbringerd
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 33

I have to agree that while farty and bloated are not exactly swear words, and most companies would not really care about these particular words being on a demo reel (provided that all your peices don't contain the same words), that they are not necessarily everyones idea of humor. If the clips were perhaps used say once a year (april would seem to be a good time) then they would for the most part apease those who like the humor and still have 11 clips for those who do not. 
   Just a thought.

#9 10-01-2007 4:32 pm

brendanfagan
Celebrity
Karmojo: 64

Thats a pretty good idea..

#10 10-01-2007 4:49 pm

red3d
Model Citizen

aja wrote:

Hey Red3D, thanks for the feedback!  Sorry to hear you didn't like the September audio file, I didn't realize it was offensive.  We try to choose clips that everyone will enjoy, though I'll admit that we did have a bit of fun with September's clip.  smile 

I do think it would be perfectly fine for a demo reel if you wanted to put it on there, what they're saying isn't overtly crude or scatalogical (though people can certainly interpret it that way in the animation if they want), and even if it was, bathroom humor is sort of integral to the US feature animation industry these days.  :p

Just to be clear here... I didn't think the clip was offensive and I'm certainly not trying to force my sensibilities on anyone, but with such an abundance of really good audio clips out there I was merely suggesting that going down the road of bathroom humor/bodily function jokes isn't really necessary. Yes, they are in a lot of current movies, but I can't say I'm very fond of that sort of humor and I'm guessing there might be recruiters who are of the same opinion. Why do something that might hurt your chances for employment? Now if someone gave me that shot to do for work, I'd do it, no problem.

If the members of the club want audio clips of this type, it's fine with me. Why not take a poll and see if people want none of it, once a year, or more often.

Last edited by red3d (10-01-2007 4:53 pm)

#11 10-01-2007 5:30 pm

bdelporte
Tipster
Karmojo: 28

There are no fart sounds in this clip, he is describing a medical (food sensitivity) problem.  People seem to choose to take offence at almost anything. If he had said, “breast cancer

#12 10-01-2007 6:15 pm

Anthony
Celebrity
Karmojo: 61
Power Voter
Productive!

So do you guys think just becuase you animate to a dialogue that has the words "farty and bloated" a recruiter wont even consider you for a job. Even if the animation good. I do agree if the gentures are offensive then it may hurt your chance of getting a job, but if you can fine a creative way of animating to the words with out being offensive then it could be a good thing. I don't know, i do see where Red3d is coming from, but i don't agree that dialogue was a bad one just that some of the animation done for it may have been a little inappropriate.

#13 10-01-2007 6:16 pm

aja
Administrator
Administrator

Whoa there!  This is starting to sound kind of tense.  smile 

Everyone's going to have a different idea of what's appropriate and not, and it's great to get feedback on the audio choices here.  Based on this, I think it's perfectly reasonable to avoid bodily functions and such in the future, just like we already avoid swearing and such, so we'll keep it in mind from here on out.  Like Red says, there's plenty of other types of audio we can choose from.  smile 

Thanks again guys, this is good to hear!

#14 10-01-2007 9:01 pm

Ninja Dodo
Tipster
Karmojo: 26

I have to say the "farty and bloated" didn't even register with me. I was just laughing at "your mistake indeed". It took me a while to even realize which line you guys were talking about again.

Hypothetically:
"Calvin... Why do you keep calling me Calvin?"
"Calvin Klein. That's your name isn't it? It's written all over your underwear."

Would this line from Back to the Future also be disqualified due to incidental use of the word "underwear"? I think dismissing lines because they make a passing reference to something that could with a great deal of imagination be construed as offensive to someone somewhere is kind of ridiculous.

Last edited by Ninja Dodo (10-01-2007 9:02 pm)

#15 10-02-2007 8:25 am

Mythsnlore
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79

Wow "farty and bloated" doesn't even register on my radar of offensive things, but sure, having a neutral audio clip is good.

#16 10-02-2007 3:55 pm

eric s
Administrator
Karmojo: 26
Administrator

I think the issue that this thread really illustrates is that it's important to be aware of other peoples' sensibilities.   Not just to take them into consideration, but to really be aware of what they are.

Many people are not offended by this particular f-word.   Some people are.  And I think it's good to know that some people are, and that maybe you wouldn't want to chance that the person watching your demo reel doesn't like this type of humor.   Would you be denied a job because of your choice of an audio clip like this?  By itself, probably not.  But remember that your reel will be in a stack of dozens or even hundreds.  If it comes down to you and someone whose reel has no bathroom humor at all, then the odds look a little different.

If you think that people who are offended by this f-word are prudes, then simply imagine that the person watching your reel is a prude and think of what their reaction would be.

I think that the analogy of "breast cancer" is slightly misleading (though that does sound like it would be a downer of a clip!)   smile   

Just to give another example, I know someone whose demo reel included a clip that used the word "boobs" in it.  The context was neither sexual nor crude, but it still made me think that maybe someone wouldn't be comfortable hearing that in a demo reel clip.

Or, on a slightly different scale, ten years ago you wouldn't have heard the word "ass" anywhere near family entertainment.  You wouldn't even find it in a network televsion show for adults.   But today, "ass" is all over the place... standards of taste change, I guess.   But I'm still not sure I'd include an "ass" line in an animation clip, even though it's become pretty regular fare.   And the f-word in question is certainly making its way into regular (and even children's) entertainment... but I know there are people who are still uncomfortable with it.

Of course everyone draws the line of what is distasteful to them somewhere different.  And sometimes people are completely unpredictable (I find this particular f-word in pretty bad taste, but I'm perfectly okay with the other big F-word... go figure!   Not that I'd include the big F-word on a reel, simply because it doesn't offend me).   

As long as you're aware that there are people who may be uncomfortable with things that you're totally fine with, I think you're well on your way to judging what may be appropriate for a demo reel.   smile

The world is full of diamonds; go out and find them.

#17 10-02-2007 7:19 pm

red3d
Model Citizen

When I started this thread I wasn't complaining about the September audio clip. I was just registering my feedback that I hoped future audio clips would not go further down this road because in my opinion it was unappealing.

I am not asking that the site be sanitized for children. I was merely commenting that I would do my due diligence as a parent and not have my daughter looking over my shoulder during voting this month because at her age their love of potty humor can get downright annoying after awhile. smile

While fart jokes have certainly gone mainstream, so has explicit sexual material. The fact that something is mainstream doesn't necessarily mean that it's desirable by everyone.  This isn't about being PC and certainly no one was being intimidating here. The breast cancer comment was off-base. A more appropriate response would have been "No, I love this kind of stuff, keep it coming!!". We're just giving personal preference feedback here.

#18 10-02-2007 10:16 pm

gittens7
Rockstar
Karmojo: 72

i don't think there is anything offensive with the clip, when did the word fart become a bad word? nor can i see it damaging your demo reel if the animation is tastefu.
Oout of all the entries i think there were like 1 that was really distasteful, i'm a little confused on what  was so disturbing about this clip and i echo what gingerdave said about shrek and a lot of  other movies,  that  you have  probably taken your kids to see have a lot more adult offensive humour then farty and bloaty,  i don't know its not really that serious,
keep animating

Last edited by gittens7 (10-02-2007 10:19 pm)

#19 10-03-2007 1:29 am

DharAM
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

I didn't think the clip was offensive, but I read somewhere (Animation Mentor Newsletter maybe?) that "bathroom" jokes are not recommended for a "demoreel". And I think the reason alluded to was that it is an old cliche, nothing original, the most juvenile subject matter. And that's why you don't want the recruiter to see it in a demoreel. I happen to agree with that.

Other than that..... fart away lol

"Technology doesn't make the motion picture, people do. You're not an animator just because you can move an object from point A to point B. (You're) someone who breathes life into a character, which is something the software and technology can't give you."

- John Lasseter

Board footer