#1 06-12-2018 12:03 am

jonathan810

WIP June Competition

Any tips on the animation? or something else that i could put in?

https://youtu.be/JCFoGlPK1-E

#2 06-12-2018 12:24 am

heymikey
Rockstar
Karmojo: 80
Power Voter
Productive!

Re: WIP June Competition

You could improve the camera layout of the shot by moving the characters to opposite sides of the frame from each other...right now they both occupy the center of the frame, which is ok if that's really what you want, but my advice would be to move the boy a little left so that he is looking to screen right, and then move the girl a little right in the frame, so that she is looking left...that way when the camera switches it is clear they are speaking to one another.

#3 06-12-2018 12:33 am

jonathan810

Alright, thank you for the advice, I'll incorporate it. Anything else? Should they occupy the same frame as well or should they keep to their own frames just looking at the opposite sides of the frames?

Last edited by jonathan810 (06-12-2018 12:45 am)

#4 06-12-2018 3:32 am

JasonL

The poses blend from pose to pose (in a bad way that you aren't given enough time to read them) and there are too many of them. Try picking just a few poses and put in a moving hold for those poses. The poses you have are too many and too quick so they "float" from pose to pose especially with the guy at the beginning. Also remember you shouldn't make a pose for every accent in the dialogue instead pick the key ones and then polish those.

Do the same with the eyebrows and facial expressions. There should be a few key poses that express the emotion and allow the audience to read it. Also always think "can I make this pose clearer?" or "how can I exaggerate this pose?"
In terms of exaggeration I don't mean over the top acting but making things clearer.

#5 06-16-2018 12:51 am

peyjune

Hi Jonathan! I agree with what the others said and in addition

The first pose the first speaker does is a bit confusing. Try talking through the dialogue and see what's natural. I don't think the big, forward facing arm gestures helps enforce the dialogue

My other big thing is the mouths don't move a lot. The most important part of acting is the face and hands. Lets see some dramatic mouth shapes!

#6 06-17-2018 1:56 am

jonathan810

Ok so, I've eliminated some of the big forward stretching arm motions and worked on the camera angles. Do you guys also think that he still has too many poses in the beginning? I've also played around a bit with the timing so it looks a little less floaty. Throughout my time of animation, I've been known to have a pretty big problem with blending everything in so it looks floaty. Cheers to you JasonL, you picked out my flaw pretty quickly haha.
The next step is to put in more facial gestures. Before i do this though, I usually want to make sure that all the big animation poses are ok and they flow correctly. Aside from the facial features, do you think the animation needs to have different motions. 
(I don't know if you guys do this as well but I also act out while animating and keep reviewing it to see what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately playing it so many times also numbs my mind to thinking that it's correct.)

https://youtu.be/8sRsGrFUQRc

#7 06-17-2018 11:32 am

hardias

Hi Jo

In the first shot, i think you just animate the boy with one hand (right hand), so we can see clearly the acting and the thought process of the boy. So when he say "Yeah, I mean we know...", you have a reason why he act with 2 hands. Oh and you must force the pose when he say "yeah". Still have to reduce some poses from his head so you can make some arcs.

From what i listened, the pose you used to hit the table is "DIDN'T in shot 2.
The girl still act floatly after she hit the table too. And you have different poses from the last pose in shot 2 and the beginning pose of last shot.

Hopefully usefull

Last edited by hardias (06-17-2018 11:45 am)

Board footer