Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#2 02-09-2018 5:04 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Re: 2018 February Competition Brainstorming Thread

Maybe you could kick off the conversation with a thought or two when you post these threads! wink

I love this clip for two reasons. 1) I love the movie, ha ha and 2) it allows for SO MANY OPTIONS! Finally! Plus the voice work is beautifully done since one of the actors is literally doing voice work (Tom Servo).

Concepts abound. You can reveal what the rhythmic pounding might be, which can be either serious or a joke, or you can leave it a mystery and focus on the two characters thinking and talking. As always, I think the key will be to brainstorm MANY ideas (never just one!) and then see where your imagination takes you.

If I wasn't knee deep in starting a new business (cough cough Weekend Panda indiedev shameless self-promotion cough) I would adore tackling this clip. Hopeful that once the new company gets rolling I'll have some time to do an entry later in 2018!

Some quick ideas:
- You can focus on the word "nominal." What interesting scenarios would this word apply creatively to? Maybe it's in a Zoo or Nuclear Plant where "nominal" is NECESSARY (or bad things happen!). Maybe it's in some place where nominal results don't make that much of a difference, like a factory that makes snowglobes.

- You could, if you wanted, have the focus be the rhythmic pounding and have the characters speaking off in the background or something, even in just silhouette form. This could be a unique approach, even if it would likely take a hit voting-wise as people would complain about you hiding the main speakers. (Bah, this is about getting good practice in, not votes!)

- The echo on the pounding reminds me of a drum. Perhaps it could be something like a marching band scene where guys are stealing the equipment in the background and loading them onto a big truck with each BONNNNNG sound.

Last edited by J.K. Riki (02-09-2018 5:09 pm)

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#3 02-11-2018 3:54 am

Andzl99

One question, can my animation last for 18 seconds? big_smile

I need the aftermath reaction if allowed

#4 02-12-2018 1:45 am

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

As long as you don't change the audio in any way, you can have more animation before or after the sound file, sure. Just be careful, because it's hard to sell a shot when some of it is silent and some of it has sound. It can feel jarring to your audience if suddenly everything goes silent but stuff is still moving on the screen.

---

#5 02-12-2018 2:37 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

@JK Riki

I will start throwing some ideas into the pot when I post these.  Sometimes I get a bit busy and want people to have a place for talking through ideas.  I will do my best.

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#6 02-26-2018 6:38 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

RyanHagen wrote:

@JK Riki

I will start throwing some ideas into the pot when I post these.  Sometimes I get a bit busy and want people to have a place for talking through ideas.  I will do my best.

I understand that! No worries, just a suggestion. I do appreciate you making the threads each month. Just trying to drum up conversation around here! The community always helped me back in the day, and I know these days it's not quite as active. Nice to hear from folks. smile

---

Board footer