#1 10-27-2017 3:23 am

imjustinanimator

Feedback For a Game Attack

Hi yall! I have been fiddling with this for a little bit trying to make it snappy but also believable in weight. It was for a shot in a game animation class. I was hoping some of you wonderful people could give me some critiques and suggestions on bettering it! Thanks to all!

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/196897#264792

#2 10-27-2017 5:09 am

NAbreu

Re: Feedback For a Game Attack

Hey imjustinanimator,

Pretty nice attack. Good timing and some nice posing too! smile

I made some comments on your syncsketch. The biggest things for me are:
1. Make sure your character doesn't hang in the air in the exact same spot for multiple frames. You can have cartoony hang time, but he should still be translation up or down slightly. Not just frozen. I made a sketch of what the curve should more or less look like in the graph editor. I hope it makes sense.
2. The action of him rising to his feet at the end has him translating too far to the right and in too short a time (to quickly). Its very jarring. My suggestion in the sketch is to have him land over his front foot and then step back and up into his idle pose again. that would make more sense mechanically for how you have him landing as well.

Hope that makes sense. Rock on!

#3 10-27-2017 10:03 am

snuffymcsnuff

Yeah, what NAbreu said, your hangtime is the main issue here. After the kick the body simply locks in position instead of travelling up. I'd also suggest having the arms drag behind a bit as she comes down, to make for a softer, more rounded arc as they settle.

#4 11-09-2017 10:52 pm

imjustinanimator

NAbreu wrote:

Hey imjustinanimator,

Pretty nice attack. Good timing and some nice posing too! smile

I made some comments on your syncsketch. The biggest things for me are:
1. Make sure your character doesn't hang in the air in the exact same spot for multiple frames. You can have cartoony hang time, but he should still be translation up or down slightly. Not just frozen. I made a sketch of what the curve should more or less look like in the graph editor. I hope it makes sense.
2. The action of him rising to his feet at the end has him translating too far to the right and in too short a time (to quickly). Its very jarring. My suggestion in the sketch is to have him land over his front foot and then step back and up into his idle pose again. that would make more sense mechanically for how you have him landing as well.

Hope that makes sense. Rock on!

Thanks so much! Really Helps!

Board footer