#1 10-23-2017 2:24 pm

zethicus
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

Which is the better resume?

Hello guys!

I've been working on my resumé and I wanted you guys to give me your opinion, initially I had a resumé that had a Languages section and a Hobbies and Interests section, but a friend told me to ditch those and pump up the Experience section by adding the freelance work I've been doing lately, as well as adding the workplace's website so they know it's the real deal.

It would be awesome if you could give me your opinion and tell me which do you think is best and why.

Here's version 1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Z_L … 1NET212WHM

Here's version 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Z_L … XAzTkpWLTQ

Thanks!

Last edited by zethicus (10-23-2017 2:27 pm)

-Zeth

#2 10-24-2017 6:32 am

Arterial Tree
Celebrity
Karmojo: 68

Re: Which is the better resume?

Personally, I would go with version 2, as I think the detailed list of your experience is more helpful for recruiters. However, I think you could still make some slight changes:

- Add the languages section from version 1 to version 2. With a lot of animation jobs requiring you to move overseas, being able to speak both Spanish and English is, in my opinion, a big asset

- Remove the 'Other Skills' section. This is probably just me, but what you have there reads a bit like marketing jargon. If you want to keep this content, then perhaps try working it into your profile and describe there how you are ambitious and a team player etc. (bad example, "I particularly enjoy the technical challenges of character rigging as well as being able to work closely with the animation team in order to provide them with the smoothest and most expressive rigs possible").

- If you can, perhaps try to include the web address for your demo reel or your website. I only mention this because it is possible that somewhere along the line during the application process, your resume might get separated from your original application and any links to your reel or website might get lost. Of course, recruiters could google you to try to find your reel, but if you can remove any extra work for them, it will be more beneficial for you.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Hope they help.

All the best!

#3 10-24-2017 11:54 am

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

Honestly
Your best resume is your demo reel - I would put more time & focus into that

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#4 10-26-2017 2:32 pm

zethicus
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

Arterial Tree wrote:

Personally, I would go with version 2, as I think the detailed list of your experience is more helpful for recruiters. However, I think you could still make some slight changes:

- Add the languages section from version 1 to version 2. With a lot of animation jobs requiring you to move overseas, being able to speak both Spanish and English is, in my opinion, a big asset

- Remove the 'Other Skills' section. This is probably just me, but what you have there reads a bit like marketing jargon. If you want to keep this content, then perhaps try working it into your profile and describe there how you are ambitious and a team player etc. (bad example, "I particularly enjoy the technical challenges of character rigging as well as being able to work closely with the animation team in order to provide them with the smoothest and most expressive rigs possible").

- If you can, perhaps try to include the web address for your demo reel or your website. I only mention this because it is possible that somewhere along the line during the application process, your resume might get separated from your original application and any links to your reel or website might get lost. Of course, recruiters could google you to try to find your reel, but if you can remove any extra work for them, it will be more beneficial for you.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Hope they help.

All the best!

Thanks a lot! It does help me quite a bit! Cheers!

KyleG wrote:

Honestly
Your best resume is your demo reel - I would put more time & focus into that

The demo reel is intended for supervisors and creative people on the studio, most recruiters out there just take a glance at the resumé and if they don't think you're able, they won't even pass the demo reel to the supervisors.

-Zeth

#5 10-26-2017 2:58 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

I prefer the first one, with the graphics.  I would definitely recommend building a professional looking resume, it says a lot about your character.  It's like wearing a dress shirt and sweatpants if you don't.  I personally looked at resumes after watching reels, when I was in a position of hiring, but if the resume was poor, it always made me think, "if they don't care about this, why would they care about what i'd ask them to work on?"  So while I agree with KyleG, I also agree with you.  Why not make a great looking resume? 

I'm not a fan of the dark theme to it, that would be my only critique at this point.

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

Board footer