#1 07-15-2017 10:01 am

Adriel
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 39

What's the best Books, Software and Website for Learning 2D Animation?

What books and software programs do you recommend for learning and creating 2d animation?
I have Sketchbook Pro and been playing around with the flip book feature. I have zero dollars so I am more interested in free software and possible video links or websites that help with learning 2d animation for free but I am also interested in the best software for 2d animation for when I can afford to use it. I also love learning the history of animation so any links or books about that would be awesome! I love this website and I am not sure why I have been away for so long but I want to keep learning and create my own animation stories.

I am currently rereading back on these list of books below and going back to basics to learn 2d animation. 2D animation is what I initially wanted to learn before I learned 3d animation in school. 3d animation was the only available subject I had access to in my location.

Timing for Animation
Acting for Animators
Eadweard Muybridge
Character Animation Crash Course
Animation by Preston Blair
The Animators Survival Kit
The Illusion of Life

#2 07-15-2017 5:21 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Re: What's the best Books, Software and Website for Learning 2D Animation?

There are a number of resources online as well. Aaron Blaise would be my first suggestion, he's a superb teacher, and really dives into the theory of things, also demonstrates the technical side.  https://creatureartteacher.com/

As for software that is free, I love Pencil2D personally for doing quick pencil tests. The learning curve is really non-existent.  If you can draw, you can use it. https://www.pencil2d.org/

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#3 07-15-2017 6:12 pm

Adriel
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 39

Thank you Ryan Hagen.  I love Aaron Blaise! I'll see if I can find more stuff he teaches on 2d animation. I know he has recommended T.V Paint which looks awesome. I will look into Pencil2D. Is it possible for me to see any animation you have done on Pencil2D Ryan? Or any 2d animations you have made would be fun to see.

#4 08-09-2017 7:30 am

Julian87

I am learning 2D animation at the moment. Last month my company needed a 2D explainer video. I ordered it at www.vidzal.com , impressive work, not bad.

#5 10-24-2017 9:42 am

johnsonanna946

"You should get a good animation book that covers all this stuff"

in my opinion, this book *The Animator’s Survival Kit* will help you!!

animators survival kit
If there’s any book that every animator should own it’s The Animator’s, Survival Kit.

This is a no question must-have resource covering basically every single subject about animation. You’ll learn about timing, pacing, motion, weight, posing, and all the 12 basic principles of animation.

Even professional animators keep a copy of this book nearby. It’s an incredible resource and it should be a staple in your animation journey.

It is fairly dense so you might not find much use for it right away. But in time as your skills improve you’ll be able to reference this guide over and over again with consistent success.

In my opinion, this https://actonvideo.com/ website has great learning skill you check this out!!

Actonvideo
SCRIPT
VOICEOVER
PUBLISH
STORYBOARD
ANIMATION

Board footer