#1 09-26-2017 3:08 pm

RedEyes_Cat

I need a few tips for my first demo reel

Hey guys, Im looking for my first job as a junior 3D Animator and I'll need a cool looking demo reel for that. Any advice can help, from how to improve the animations to tips on editing the Reel itself.

Also, I used copyrighted music on this one. Is that frowned upon?

Direct Link

Last edited by RedEyes_Cat (09-26-2017 3:19 pm)

#2 09-27-2017 7:35 am

snuffymcsnuff

Re: I need a few tips for my first demo reel

It's a good start, but ask yourself what kind of animation work you are looking for. You're starting your reel with a creature run cycle now so my immediate thought was that you're hoping to be employed in a game studio. If you're looking for more character acting oriented work, I'd say you need to put an acting shot sooner. That being said, I probably wouldn't put the acting shot you do have at the start, the arms are twinning a lot. With some tweaks to offset the arms it'd work better.

I'm also not sure about the martial arts shot. The beginning is good, but the last flip and twist is a little odd, he seems to travel too far a distance for it to make sense, gravity-wise.

The length is good, wouldn't make it any longer unless you have something really, really good that needs to be in there. If not, no shame in cutting a shot, only your best work should be showcased.

As for the music, the only issue you might run into with copyrighted music is that youtube/vimeo might remove it automatically some day, so I'd suggest finding some free music before that happens (vimeo usually offers a bunch of choices for free when uploading your video).

#3 09-27-2017 1:33 pm

RedEyes_Cat

Awesome! this was super helpful. I am indeed hoping to be employed in a game studio, so I'll just cut the acting shot.

#4 09-27-2017 2:26 pm

snuffymcsnuff

I wouldn't necessarily cut the acting shot altogether (it's still helpful for game studio leads to know that you can do character acting). But it needs work to really shine. If you have the time, I'd suggest fixing up the martial arts shot (the twist flip portion of it anyway) and either rework the acting shot to have less twinning on the arms (and the laugh would benefit greatly from more exaggerated shoulder up/down motion) or make a new acting shot. You can of course also cut it, that's really up to you.

Did I mention that I love that the dance shot is synchronized to the beat drop? That makes a good case for keeping the copyrighted music anyway smile it's a lovely shot.

Last edited by snuffymcsnuff (09-27-2017 2:30 pm)

Board footer