#1 08-09-2017 7:01 pm

Max_Animation

Showreel advice

Hi, everyone. Okay, so I hope this is the right place to post this. I am an animation student who has recently finished doing his undergraduate degree in 3D animation and I'm starting to put together a showreel of my work to show employers. I want to make a human walk cycle but don't have any human models to do this with, my question is this: is it a smart idea to use other people's models for creating a showreel walk cycle? I don't know wether this would be considered plagiaristic, I hope to understand this now so I don't mess up my first showreel. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 08-09-2017 7:42 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Re: Showreel advice

Free rigs(humans) are always being used in reels.  I would use one of those. You can find some in the resources of the site here, or many other places.  Animation Buffet is a good resource as well as Highend3d, and there are some relatively inexpensive rigs out there available for purchase.  Hope that helps.

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#3 08-09-2017 9:20 pm

Max_Animation

Ah, good. Thanks smile I appreciate it

#4 09-22-2017 8:27 am

Animationalerts

Hi Max_Animation,

I can understand what is going on through your mind. I will try my best to explain you in simple words. Please refer this article and i hope you find many doubts cleared there.

http://www.animationalerts.com/how-to-b … -animator/

Now coming to your question, Can you use 3d models from internet and use them in your portfolio? Answer is yes, you can but make sure you are using free rigs which you can download easily from sites like highend3d.com.  Second in the end credits, please mention something like Rigs provided by highend3d.com. And most importantly do not use them in any commercial use. And if you have any problem, Please reply here.

Thanks and Happy Animating.

#5 09-25-2017 11:22 am

DeanLee

Thanks for this.

Board footer