#1 09-03-2017 2:15 pm

dillonbrannick

Subtle September Wip

Hi,
Second time doing an 11 second club. I want to go for subtlety in my acting for this month's. Any advice is much appreciated.

Direct Link

Last edited by dillonbrannick (09-03-2017 2:18 pm)

#2 09-03-2017 6:59 pm

dillonbrannick

Re: Subtle September Wip

just working out the some of the head poses, getting a feel for it.

Direct Link

#3 09-08-2017 5:35 pm

dillonbrannick

working through the timing, not too worried about being on model at this point, want it to be relatively there thereabouts though.

Direct Link

Last edited by dillonbrannick (09-08-2017 5:37 pm)

#4 09-10-2017 12:37 am

dillonbrannick

figuring out the body, wanting as little movement as possible with just emphasis on the last.

Direct Link

#5 09-12-2017 9:26 pm

dillonbrannick

Thinking about what to do with the other character and worked through the mains animation a bit more.

Direct Link

#6 09-13-2017 6:13 pm

dillonbrannick

worked through the body a bit more, and did some minor alterations to timing, not sure about the bounce around frame 70.
Also the settle at 156 isn't great, it's too abrupt should slow in quite a lot right at the end of the movement. And at frame 42 sometimes when I watch the abruptness works for the word took, but then other times I find it jarring.

What's next I think is to really tie down the forms and fix those timing and spacing issues as I go, and also work through the other character a bit more cause that sink down after she delivers her line is a bit ropey.

Direct Link

Last edited by dillonbrannick (09-13-2017 6:18 pm)

#7 09-19-2017 5:02 pm

dillonbrannick

I don't know. I have the hair in but I'll have to take it out cause otherwise the eyes won't be visible at frame ~226 and that whole beat depends on them. So I may just leave him with real short hair. Still working on the secondary character.  I think I can go ahead and clean up the boy as he is now.

Direct Link

Last edited by dillonbrannick (09-20-2017 10:09 am)

#8 09-20-2017 7:50 am

davini

are you going to paint it?

#9 09-20-2017 10:13 am

dillonbrannick

davini wrote:

are you going to paint it?

like cleanup and colour? Yeah I was hoping to

#10 09-20-2017 1:12 pm

davini

nice. I hope you get in time.

#11 10-07-2017 7:21 pm

dillonbrannick

Hey, I was a bit dissapointed with how my piece did this month. It scored 4.71 and placed 58th. There was only one comment on the submission which pertained to to the secondary character which I agree with but I can't imagine that could be the only reason it went from an 11 to a 4/5. Not that I think it's flawless otherwise, I don't. But I feel like I'm missing something more than just minor animation problems but actual acting/performance flaws, and it's something I want to improve on.

Direct Link

I hope it's okay to do a follow up post like this

#12 10-07-2017 9:56 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Hello DillionBrannick,

Note sure if this helps, here are a few of my thoughts. Personally, I am of the belief that 4.75 is a good score. I would have ranked it around there, but simply because i'm one of those who vote over where it would rank historically.

Now, in terms of style, I think you have a style that clearly communicates the mood of the piece. The acting is kept contained, which is a good thing, as it suits the mood of the piece. However, I am a big advocate of traditional Disney style animation. I would have encouraged you to break down the construction of the character, so you could rotate the head in perspective. Quite a hard task, that plenty of animations have proven unnecessary. For example, early Simpsons. Southpark and cut out animation is exempt from this.

I like the darts used to communicate his thought process, however, we see little in terms of contrasting eye shapes. The tone of the dialogue means this is ok, as the mood doesn't change a great deal. But together with the lack solid drawing (perspective change), it reduces the strength of the piece for me. Also the facial features are stylised, but could do with more anatomy.

The pivot point of the neck feels wrong, as does the relationship with the spine. This is most noticeable on big movements, like the early look left at the start.

I like how you are dragging the wrist etc. but the hands do change in volume. Like the difference is huge between when the hand is placed on the arm, and the breakdown drawing prior. Again, style may permit this.  Around the two second mark though, the arm does feel bendy and broken.

#13 10-11-2017 9:03 pm

dillonbrannick

I guess it was because it did worse than than my last entry, and I guess I just had a feeling of not progressing. And of my opinion of good animation not necessarily lining up with the popular opinion or maybe I was just a bit blinded by pride for whatever reason. I so glad you got back to me, I really appreciate, and even just some aspects being broken down has helped me rethink where my focus should be to improve.

Honestly I just didn't do any character design dev for the piece, just jumped straight into it, so you're absolutely right that is something I could definitely work on (I of course don't usually do that, only for doodlanimations, which is really how this was treated at the beginning; just something to do in my down time), and actually get a proper feel for the character before animating in terms of 3D space.

yes thank you, eye shapes, I think I was more at a loss as to what his mood changes were and because there's no major one I didn't add in those nuances for the subtler changes. Yeah I probably should study a bit of anatomy, I've been out of life drawing for quite a awhile as well so that probably hast't helped. Do you/anyone have any good anatomy book recommendations?

Yeah the neck that is quite bad and was not unnoticed by me.

I'm not sure I mind the arms, that was all intentional of course, but I definitely take your point on volumes, I've been trying to flip rather than onion skin to get better with them. In college we only did so much traditional and once you're on computers you just use every crutch to hit project deadlines rather than actually learn the fundamentals properly (haha ore maybe that was just me).

Thanks again!

#14 10-11-2017 9:35 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Hello again,

If it helps, I'll admit I tried to win 11second club, on my first time of trying. I came low. I then hoped to win it a second time. I did even worse. Note, animation takes time to get good. Your next entry and one after may be around the same mark. But its about pushing through. It can be a painful journey as you put your heart into it. I have had a long hard time to get where I am now and its hopefully only just starting for me. I have so much more to learn, which both scares and excites me.

Also, the grade you received is not that much worse, so don't see this as a backward step. Particularly as its the smallest amount, so depends how people vote at the end of the month.

Regarding books, I recommend Samantha Yousseff's book, while Stephen silver's recent book on character design is also proving helpful in terms of understanding shapes. There is also website proko and free online life drawing, though in person is always better (the image is not flattened for you).

#15 10-13-2017 8:41 am

Easy619
Productive!

thelittlepenguin84 wrote:

Hello again,

If it helps, I'll admit I tried to win 11second club, on my first time of trying. I came low. I then hoped to win it a second time. I did even worse. Note, animation takes time to get good. Your next entry and one after may be around the same mark. But its about pushing through. It can be a painful journey as you put your heart into it. I have had a long hard time to get where I am now and its hopefully only just starting for me. I have so much more to learn, which both scares and excites me.

I agree.

"Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." - Will Smith

#16 10-13-2017 2:59 pm

zethicus
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

Most of us started with the red ribbons and moved up to blue, you've started with two blue ribbons, don't give up, animation is hard, very hard, and it takes a long time to master. Keep up the good work!

-Zeth

Board footer