#1 09-07-2017 10:07 am

pixel_xyz

Compensating animation from space-moving to inplace-moving

Hello everybody, i hope you can help since i'm really hitting my head on the wall for this thing i need to do.
I have a character in maya climbing down an escalator, for a videogame (unity). I have animated it so that it moves through the real space in maya, that is, it moves away from it's root controller, either horizontally and vertically. The animation works fine.
Now it's time to put it back on the spot, because that's how the tech guys need it.
I'm using a parent controller to do that, which moves the whole character, trying to compensate its overall motion. But i cannot. The problem is: i don't know how much the keys should move to compensate the right amount of up and down and forward IN THE WHOLE BODY, keeping the slow-ins and slow-outs intact.
If you had any suggestions that would be highly appreciated! thanks a lot to everyone! wink

#2 09-08-2017 1:57 am

Easy619
Productive!

Re: Compensating animation from space-moving to inplace-moving

Do you have reference to go off of? The worst thing to do is guess when animating. You could do a rough block to see how much you should move each body part if you don't have reference.

"Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." - Will Smith

#3 09-08-2017 7:35 pm

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

Re: Compensating animation from space-moving to inplace-moving

"it moves away from it's root controller, either horizontally and vertically. The animation works fine.
Now it's time to put it back on the spot, because that's how the tech guys need it."

You should talk to the tech guys - most all game engines have what is called "root motion" which allows animation on the character to not have to end/start at the origin. Usually a joint is picked that will define how far the character has moved through space and at the end of the animation (in engine) the character's placement is auto updated

not sure what engine you're using but here's a simple how to for Unity

Direct Link

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

Board footer