#1 07-25-2017 9:13 am

kamengtaiv

Please help me constraint 2 hands (HumanIK rig) onto a prop

Guys, i really need your help and if you can help me, i will apreciate it A LOT!!!
So from over a week i've been digging the Web for a tutorial to constraint both hands into an axe, but the other hand isn't following the object properly. Then today, i came across this tutorial, but it didn't work for me.
https://vimeo.com/35580686
I did what exactly the autor said and it still doesent work at all.
Thank you in advance.

#2 07-25-2017 12:48 pm

random_person

Re: Please help me constraint 2 hands (HumanIK rig) onto a prop

Can you explain exactly how you used the constraints and how it doesn't work?
If you want you can upload the file somewhere and I'll have a look. It's just hard to understand what's the problem from your description.

#3 07-25-2017 1:23 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

I like to recommend zvParentMaster for constraining things like hands to an object, it's very straight forward.  Make sure to watch the video on how it works.

https://www.highend3d.com/maya/script/z … r-for-maya  <----script

Creators site with helpful info  http://www.paolodominici.com/products/zvparentmaster/

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#4 07-25-2017 1:47 pm

kamengtaiv

Thank you guys for your responses, anyway, i've used zvParentMaster before and i did indeed try to solve the issue with the help of the script, but whenever i select the hand and the object, it says that: # Error: Exception: file C:/Users/Kamen/Documents/maya/scripts\ZvParentMaster.py line 568: You must select one or more slave objects and a master object
@Random_Person
So basically, i'd like to do an animation wich involves swinging an axe, i parent the right hand to the axe and it's parrented and works, but when i try to parent my right hand to the left hand, so the left hand has to follow, the left hand doesent follow correctly, like when i rotate the right hand to the upper position, the left hand rotates down instead, or when i rotate the right hand to the left, the left hand rotates to the opposite direction. I've been searching for the solution since a week now and i cannot solve it. It's so annoying that at the point, i nearly was about to almost punch or kick my monitor for the 7th time big_smile.

#5 07-25-2017 4:41 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen

That means you're trying to parent something to nothing.  Select the hand control, then the animation control on the object you want to parent it to and click the constrain button. 

i parent the right hand to the axe and it's parrented and works, but when i try to parent my right hand to the left hand, so the left hand has to follow, the left hand doesent follow correctly

That statement says, you parented the right hand to the axe, then you attempted to parent the right hand AGAIN to the left hand.  Instead, parent the left hand to the right.  That will solve that.

Ryan
Animator

#6 07-25-2017 7:23 pm

kamengtaiv

Hello RyanHagen, thank you for your suggestion!
I am 100% sure that i've selected the right hand and the object when trying to parent them using the zvMaster script, but when i tried a different rig (Stewart), using zvParentMaster indeed worked.
I tried the other thing you suggested, but that unfortunetly didn't work eighter sad((((.
Please keep in mind that i am working with a HumanIK rig.

Last edited by kamengtaiv (07-25-2017 7:24 pm)

#7 07-25-2017 8:59 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen

I have not used HIK before, so I can't speak on that, but I would think the theory would apply to that as well.  Is this rig being referenced into the scene?  If so, in order for zvParentMaster to work, you need to open the actual rig file(not reference it) and create the necessary nodes for it to work.  If you look at the "help" page for zvPM you'll find more information on it there.

Ryan
Animator

#8 07-26-2017 10:02 am

kamengtaiv

Yeah, i import the model instead of referencing it because i know zvParentMaster doesent work with referenced models

#9 07-26-2017 1:00 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen

It does work with referenced rigs, you just have to set up the nodes in the rig file for it to work when referencing.  It sounds to me like you're constraining the right hand twice and it's averaging between the two.  If that makes sense.

Ryan
Animator

#10 08-19-2017 3:26 pm

jay-ay

First of all, from what you said, I agree with RyanHagen. It sounds like you're trying to parent the right hand twice. What is the driving object in your scene? Are you: (A) using the right hand to control the axe, and the left hand remains the inactive follower? Or (B) is the axe the one you will be animating, and both hands follow the axe? If it's (A), then the right hand ctrl should be the parent to the axe ctrl, and the left hand ctrl can be the child to either the right hand ctrl or the axe ctrl. If (B), then the axe ctrl should be the parent to both right and left hand ctrl.

I watched the tutorial you linked and what confuses me is that he didn't tick the "Maintain offset" checkbox in the parent constraint options. Usually when I don't tick that option, it tends to lead to weird constraint behaviour in my scene. Maybe that's just me, I'm not sure if that's what's causing the problem for you, or if you'd tried it and still produced no good result. All the best in figuring this problem out.

Board footer