2017 August Competition Brainstorming Thread

Discuss

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#2 08-01-2017 2:54 pm

Roawb

Re: 2017 August Competition Brainstorming Thread

...If you're lost on ideas i can think of one straight away, animate yourself having shot the moderator who picked this to be this months soundbite for August. he could be playing a piano, sniper shoots him, he face plants on to the keys at the last second.

Thing is immigrant and shooting someone is just a really weird sensitive for a possible reel piece or am i just being paranoid.

Last edited by Roawb (08-01-2017 3:13 pm)

Protect us, oh, Lansbury, from rude teenagers,. from soup that is both too hot and too cold,. and from anyone who calls but please have people call

#3 08-01-2017 5:13 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Roawb wrote:

...If you're lost on ideas i can think of one straight away, animate yourself having shot the moderator who picked this to be this months soundbite for August. he could be playing a piano, sniper shoots him, he face plants on to the keys at the last second.

You're more than welcome to do that, strange way of thanking people for providing you with a place to come together as a community and compete for something you can't get unless you attend Animation Mentor or similar online school. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Ryan
Animator

#4 08-01-2017 8:01 pm

TheManyMadMasks

May want to emphasis the "no political statements" rule this month. Personally think you might be asking for trouble, but I also have faith in the community. Here's hoping for another good round of entries.

#5 08-01-2017 10:34 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

''Don't use anything overtly offensive (this is not the place for crude sexual humor, extremely violent imagery, or intolerance towards any culture/religion/gender/etc.) This is also not the place for political statements of any kind. ''

In fairness, I'm pretty shocked at the choice of audio. Somebody was asking for Hamilton, but still an unusual choice. Hopefully, as always, there will be some good ideas to solve this puzzle.

I do like the conflict of PTSD. But setting the scene is going to be tricky. Could also be a conflicted news reporter/photographer

#6 08-01-2017 10:52 pm

Roawb

There is nothing i hate about this place its legendary. i owe to mods at least a decade of thanks.
sorry. was banter that i couldn't resist to joke about.

Protect us, oh, Lansbury, from rude teenagers,. from soup that is both too hot and too cold,. and from anyone who calls but please have people call

#7 08-02-2017 4:42 am

DonMarks

Honestly my main issue with the audio clip this month is not that is a musical bit, but the inherent weight to the context of the dialogue/lyrics.

The dialogue starts with a person literally or metaphorically pointing at a person ("Spot him"), describing this person as an immigrant who has had their reputation ruined. America (many of the users on this site I am sure are American) has "forgotten" this person, and then the speaker identifies himself as having shot (either literally or metaphorically) this person. All of this with the current political undertones of the media in general,  and the added music to boot really makes this a very difficult clip.

Personally I dig it. It's forcing me to contextualize the clip in a way that has the same weight as the subject matter. With that in mind, I do think this month's clip is asking a lot more of its animators than usual, not just in their technical execution, but in their ability to tell a story or frame a world.... all while making sure not to offend anyone.

Tall order folks. Lets do this.

#8 08-02-2017 11:20 am

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

Try and think outside the box and find replacements for words in the song

"shot" doesn't have to mean firing a gun - it could refer to shooting photography

"him" doesn't have to be a human

"immigrant" - the definition means a person who comes to live in a foreign place - this could be a deer in a hunters backyard, an astronaut on an alien planet, etc

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#9 08-02-2017 2:19 pm

DonMarks

I definitely agree... but I again would like to point out that this was an inherently controversial sound clip.... maybe in the future may be best to heir on the side of safety and not ask the animators to rely fully on symbolic meaning for a major chunk of the whole dialogue.... words like "Immigrant, Forgot Him, Shot Him" with a pretty emotional undertone are going to invoke pretty intense feelings, regardless of intent, no?

Also I've started boarding for this shot and plan on tackling a difficult subject. I'm confident that my work won't be skewed towards any political agenda, one side or another, but it will be more of a social commentary than I'd usually aim for. After looking at the rules and guidelines for the competition, I see nowhere that states that political commentary content is purely forbidden from the competition. I'd like to make sure that I don't spend a month on a clip that has no chance of being featured. Can you verify that I can in fact employ social commentary in my scene as long as there is no crude violence etc.... as outlined in the guidelines?

Last edited by DonMarks (08-02-2017 2:26 pm)

#10 08-02-2017 2:55 pm

ThirdRate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx_PefIH8Gw at around 3:25 they are singing the lines, might be good for facial reference if people are a tad stuck?

#11 08-02-2017 3:16 pm

DonMarks

Helpful, but again, please note the general angst and emotional struggle exhibited in the voices, and even their facial expressions, again compounded with political overtones regarding many of the words used in this dialogue. I simply ask that these kinds of elements are at least considered going forward. Hopefully next month's clip is a funny, breath of fresh air. smile

Last edited by DonMarks (08-02-2017 3:16 pm)

#12 08-02-2017 7:30 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen

@DonMarks, "Social Commentary" can be taken in different ways depending on the audience.  I would say it's safer than blatantly siding on a political agenda, but it could still be taken in a way other than you intend. I would say keep it friendly in general but go forth and create, perhaps show your thumbs/boards and we can be of more help.

Ryan
Animator

#13 08-02-2017 8:27 pm

zethicus
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

I for one am excited to see singing pieces, the one from Les Mis had some very awesome submissions

-Zeth

#14 08-02-2017 10:03 pm

Easy619
Productive!

Im curious to see augusts entries. Should be interesting to see everyones take of the dialogue.

"Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." - Will Smith

#15 08-03-2017 10:57 pm

Takkun_Chan

...this audio clip...
*facepalms*

😂😂😂😂
Welp! This kind of restricted challenge can really broaden our perspectives and creativity! Go get em guys!

#16 08-05-2017 11:53 pm

DonMarks

As requested here'e my previs @RyanHagen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrXU32M … e=youtu.be

I'm pretty proud of the story but won't be animating it this month because it is not something I can use on my demo reel in hopes of gaining a gig I want. You never know what the biases of a recruiter are and such controversial subject matter can immediately make recruiters look the other way. I know I could have reaaaallllyyyy flexed my story muscles to try to come up with something that made sense with the audio that wasn't so on the nose.... but out of 5 people I shared this sound file with, (without showing them my work or ideas) 4 replied with "It sounds like a cop".

For the purposes of creating a great animated piece for this competition I think this is awesome, but for anyone who is hoping to use the piece on their reel, this was a poor audio choice for this month, and it is my hope that those who choose what audio clips we animate month to month will think more deeply about the potential ramifications for anyone who does want to place audio with such subject matter on their demo reel in the future.

Last edited by DonMarks (08-06-2017 2:38 am)

#17 08-06-2017 12:56 am

Easy619
Productive!

DonMarks wrote:

As requested here'e my previs @RyanHagen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrXU32M … e=youtu.be

I'm pretty proud of the story but won't be animating it this month because it is not something I can use on my demo reel in hopes of gaining a gig I want. You never know what the biases of a recruiter are and such controversial subject matter can immediately make recruiters look the other way. I know I could have reaaaallllyyyy flexed my story muscles to try to come up with something that made sense with the audio that wasn't so on the nose.... but out of 5 people I shared this sound file with, (without showing them my work or ideas) replied with "It sounds like a cop".

For the purposes of creating a great animated piece for this competition I think this is awesome, but for anyone who is hoping to use the piece on their reel, this was a poor audio choice for this month, and it is my hope that those who choose what audio clips we animate month to month will think more deeply about the potential ramifications for anyone who does want to place audio with such subject matter in the future.

That previs is awesome wow. Kind of made it a thing to always enter/try every month to try and improve no matter what the audio is.

"Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." - Will Smith

#18 08-22-2017 7:10 am

Leroynz

Hi,

I'm completely new to this forum. This doesn't have to be humans does it? It could be ants vs crickets.
My idea is looking through a pair of binoculars scanning the 'scene'. Settling on an"ImmigrANT". The binocular vision becomes a 'scope' vision then at the last minute, with the words 'shot him' change the view to show a 300mm telephoto sense on a camera!

I'll try & get something done by deadline...bear in mind I'm a complete amateur.smile

#19 08-22-2017 1:08 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen

@Leroynz It can be anything from your imagination.

Ryan
Animator

Board footer