#1 06-06-2017 1:37 pm

dtc2711

11 second club audio choices - too well known!

Hey 11 second club,

To start with I absolutely love this competition and want to see it keep getting better. I have 1 gripe unfortunately, and that is that most of the audio clips used in the past year or more have been from really famous films/TV shows with actors that everybody knows. When I hear and recognise the audio clip (which is pretty much every time now) it completely puts me off doing an animation to it, because that voice or scene is so recognisable that neither me nor any employers watching my animation are going to be able to think of anything but the original clip! This is especially unhelpful when the audio is from an animated movie, so it has already been animated professionally, perhaps even by the people looking at my reel. We need 11 second audio clips (seriously..any longer than 11 seconds and the quality drops) from relatively unknown sources. And it's easier than you think to get your hands on them, and they can still be full of drama and interesting acting choices. Here's some examples of places to look:

Radio shows
Interviews (musicians are quite good here, the talking voice is less known than the singing voice and it puts less emphasis on creating an entire story around an 11 second piece, so we can just focus on the animation)
Old movies
Classical music (think fantasia!)

I think that picking audio clips from sources such as these will help us create more interesting, diverse animations.

Thanks!
Dan

#2 08-01-2017 9:08 am

CooliusCaesar

Re: 11 second club audio choices - too well known!

Old thread, but... I'm a Hamilton fan. I mean, I could try and think up of some other story, but it wouldn't be as good as a "fresh take".

#3 08-01-2017 10:28 am

snuffymcsnuff

I question the decision to use a clip from a musical in the first place, let alone one from a production as famous as Hamilton hmm Just seems like an odd choice for a short animated scene.

#4 08-01-2017 10:30 am

kalel6
Power Voter

Why is that? Most animations are musicals.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world"

https://vimeo.com/217295331

#5 08-01-2017 10:46 am

snuffymcsnuff

kalel6 wrote:

Why is that? Most animations are musicals.

Good point I guess. Maybe it's mainly that Hamilton is so well known and the scene referenced in the audio is such a pivotal one from the musical that it's gonna be hard not to think about it.

That said, I'd be interested to see what comes out of it.

Last edited by snuffymcsnuff (08-01-2017 10:46 am)

#6 08-02-2017 12:29 am

DonMarks

Honestly my main issue with the audio clip this month is not that is a musical bit, but the inherent weight to the context of the dialogue/lyrics.

The dialogue starts with a person literally or metaphorically pointing at a person ("Spot him"), describing this person as an immigrant who has had their reputation ruined. America (many of the users on this site I am sure are American) has "forgotten" this person, and then the speaker identifies himself as having shot (either literally or metaphorically) this person. All of this with the current political undertones of the media in general,  and the added music to boot really makes this a very difficult clip.

Personally I dig it. It's forcing me to contextualize the clip in a way that has the same weight as the subject matter. With that in mind, I do think this month's clip is asking a lot more of its animators than usual, not just in their technical execution, but in their ability to tell a story or frame a world.... all while making sure not to offend anyone.

Tall order folks. Lets do this.

Last edited by DonMarks (08-02-2017 12:31 am)

#7 08-02-2017 1:52 am

Easy619
Productive!

DonMarks wrote:

Honestly my main issue with the audio clip this month is not that is a musical bit, but the inherent weight to the context of the dialogue/lyrics.

The dialogue starts with a person literally or metaphorically pointing at a person ("Spot him"), describing this person as an immigrant who has had their reputation ruined. America (many of the users on this site I am sure are American) has "forgotten" this person, and then the speaker identifies himself as having shot (either literally or metaphorically) this person. All of this with the current political undertones of the media in general,  and the added music to boot really makes this a very difficult clip.

Personally I dig it. It's forcing me to contextualize the clip in a way that has the same weight as the subject matter. With that in mind, I do think this month's clip is asking a lot more of its animators than usual, not just in their technical execution, but in their ability to tell a story or frame a world.... all while making sure not to offend anyone.

Tall order folks. Lets do this.

Love a challenge. Nice breakdown of the dialogue.

"Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." - Will Smith

#8 08-13-2017 10:15 pm

MMARZT

Why should you make sure not to offend anyone? I understand that it's better to avoid unnecesary conflict. I do it a lot myself. But with a sensible topic like this it would be unjust to wash it down just to "play it safe". At least in my humble opinion.

Still, if you want to avoid the current political drama you could just make it something historical. Or about E.T. Would still work if you don't want to go into risky therritory and just have fun.

Last edited by MMARZT (08-13-2017 10:17 pm)

#9 09-08-2017 2:28 am

Kent wang

COOL

Board footer