#1 07-20-2017 10:16 pm

Lemonman

Overweight animator?

Hello, I have recently completed an online interview and have been asked to come to another interview in person, the issue is I'm morbidly obese. I've never even seen a slightly overweight animator let alone my size. Will they take one look at me in the interview and rule me out due to my weight?

Before I went through the interview process I had multiple appointments with dietitians and psychologists and lost 42 pounds/3 stone and will continue down this path of weight-loss but yeah I just feel one look at me and I'll be shown the door.

#2 07-20-2017 10:35 pm

Adriel
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 39

Re: Overweight animator?

No way! If you can show you have the skills and ability to give them what animation they want then you are hired.
If it were my studio the more peoples body shapes are different all the better for getting good video reference for various size characters. It is always good to be as healthy as you can and good for you for working on getting healthier. But what really matters on a job is if you can actually give them what they want for the specific project they are working on.

#3 07-21-2017 1:47 am

Horganovski
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79

Hi, I think Adriel covered it really. Kudos on working to get fitter, it's hard work but worth it, shows a lot of character.
Just to add though - there are certainly plenty of overweight animators out there, some of the most famous ones are (not going to name names!) as it's not exactly a healthy lifestyle sitting at a desk for hours a day.

So I would echo what Adriel said, keep working on your health for your own benefit but don't leave it hold you back from going for jobs you'd like to do. If you have the skills that's the most important factor for any employer.

#4 07-21-2017 8:06 am

Lemonman

What you both said really takes a load off my mind, reading about fat discrimination in the workplace didn't help my mindset at all.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to me, it's really appreciated.

#5 07-29-2017 8:06 pm

fusedgore

Who cares what they think  about your weight .All that matters is how good your animation skills are .If they discriminate against you then f.... em .Make your animation better than anyone else.

Unless someone like YOU cares a whole awfult lot ,nothing is going to get better .Its not -The Lorax

Board footer