#1 07-14-2017 6:27 am

Kojiben

General resume rules for job applications?

I am still trying to find work in the animation industry (Almost reaching 1 year) and my newest demo reel is not getting me anywhere.  Someone (not in this industry) suggested to me that my resume may not be good enough.

I find it a bit difficult to find information about resumes specifically for the animation industry.  I know that we should have a creative CV but would that be for all jobs concerning animation or should we use a less creative one for others?  Also it would be great to know what HR people look at when it comes to resumes.

I know the demo reel is a big part of the application process but I also would like to know how a good resume can bold well for getting an interview.

Thank you!

#2 07-14-2017 1:58 pm

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

Re: General resume rules for job applications?

honestly - its your reel that will get you a job not your resume

When we're hiring I don't even look at the resume until after I've seen/liked the reel

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#3 07-14-2017 4:29 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

I second Kyle's suggestion.  When I was hiring, I made sure I got a resume/cv, but I didn't look at that until I reviewed the reel.  Not saying that's the only way things happen, but for me, I was reviewing A LOT of reels, and didn't have time to go through resumes at times.  If I was impressed and saw potential in a reel, I gave their resume a once over to get a sense of their background. 

I would say definitely make your resume professional looking, clear and to the point, with a cv that shows your personality, why you think you'd be a fit and what you're personal motivations are.  A good resume and cv is something that shouldn't be an after thought.  It's part of the process and details in this industry make or break you.  Don't give up, keep rockin'

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#4 07-14-2017 6:00 pm

Kojiben

KyleG wrote:

honestly - its your reel that will get you a job not your resume

When we're hiring I don't even look at the resume until after I've seen/liked the reel

That is what I figured.  My friend was adamant about how employers look at resumes first despite me telling him it was different with animation.  He just would not believe me at face value as "I don't work in HR" or "I don't know the exact hiring process".  I am sure it is my demo reel and that is what I am trying to concentrate on but a lot of people around me, family members and friends, keep telling me it HAS to be something else.

This is also the first time I heard someone say that my resume was not good and might be the reason I am not getting called back, so I left focus from my demo reel to improve it.  But my resume wasn't something I made in an hour either, I have refined it over the years or at least I thought but now I am doubting this too.

#5 07-14-2017 6:05 pm

Kojiben

RyanHagen wrote:

I second Kyle's suggestion.  When I was hiring, I made sure I got a resume/cv, but I didn't look at that until I reviewed the reel.  Not saying that's the only way things happen, but for me, I was reviewing A LOT of reels, and didn't have time to go through resumes at times.  If I was impressed and saw potential in a reel, I gave their resume a once over to get a sense of their background. 

I would say definitely make your resume professional looking, clear and to the point, with a cv that shows your personality, why you think you'd be a fit and what you're personal motivations are.  A good resume and cv is something that shouldn't be an after thought.  It's part of the process and details in this industry make or break you.  Don't give up, keep rockin'

Thank you for the advice and words of hope, I am still trying.  I will make sure my CV is not cluttered but do you think it would be okay to add my own character art to it?  I mean if it fades enough in the background and the type is still legible?

A lot of creative CV examples are for 2D animators and they sometimes have their own unique drawn character but I am not sure if that really would make a 3D animator stand out.

Thank you both, @KyleG and @RyanHagen

Board footer