#1 07-13-2017 12:43 pm

Spooks88

Rendering software problems<Solved>

Hey all,

So I have not been animating in a while and thought it would give it a crack this month and get back into it. I have realised now that I took mentalray for granted and every other rendering program seems to want to charge apart from Renderman.

So I have created a scene and added renderman textures and it looks ace, however when I import any rig which does not support it, more specifically the Malcom Rig it has tonnes of textures which I do not know how to change automatically into renderman compliant ones.

I have tried the Arnold but get the text across because I have not paid for it so I am wondering if anyone has found a way to convert the rig to be able to be used by renderman or if I rendered the scene using renderman and then switched to Arnold for the character and used premiere pro to layer it across would this work?

Any help would be great as I am at a loss and been trying for a while now, ideally I would like to get to know renderman well but it just seems as though not many rigs/scenes work well with it unless you put a LOT of time into retexturing.

Kind Regards

Arran

#2 07-13-2017 1:13 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Re: Rendering software problems<Solved>

Renderman is not a easy tool to get up to speed with.  Especially in a short amount of time.  You can refer to the documentation that comes with Renderman to start learning it.  It would require much more than a reply on a forum to get up to speed with.  The learning curve for Arnold is less complex but still requires some time.

I don't think it would be wise to try and learn either of those to get a respectable render flow going and work on an animation for a competition.  I would highly recommend ditching your rendering efforts for the competition and simply use Viewport 2.0 with some decent lighting.  It will be more than sufficient for the competition.

Premiere Pro is not a compositing program, it's an NLE.  For basic compositing, I would recommend After Effects, which you should have with your CC subscription.  But again, I would highly recommend learning those rendering softwares outside of an animation competition, focusing on your animation will take most if not all of your time to finish.

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#3 07-13-2017 1:45 pm

Spooks88

I totally get what you are saying so i have been going through tutorials at a crazy rate so you might be right. I only have the trial version of the arnold and what will run out soon.

Do you not find that the normal render in Maya looks god awful? and yes sorry i meant after affects i tend to flick inbetween both programmes once i have created an animation.

I have Nuke too but not too good at it yet but was wondering if you could render the scene out in renderman and then the model in a different renderer and match it together.

You are probably right though and i will have to stick to the viewport 2.0, i thought i would ask as this is all new to me again.

Thanks

#4 07-14-2017 4:36 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

I do not find the viewport 2.0 look awful, in fact you can get some really decent results with minimal effort.  If you render elements in different renders, you're most likely going to find inconsistencies, but may still work if you can analyze what the issues are and then find solutions in the different rendering softwares.  That would be an R&D thing.

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

Board footer