#1 06-03-2017 10:14 am

Fiatsu

Chosen Voice tracks are mediocre

I can only speak for 2017 as i'm new but i went through 2016 animation and most of the sound tracks aren't good enough to set a decent premise on.
They are in general emotionally specific, ie has one tone or another based on a specific instance in the clip that's seems entertaining.
This makes for a severe lack of substance, Using a subject matter that people can think of from different directions instead seems best IMO.

Example:
"What were you doing with that mannequin in the bathroom guy?"
vs
"Hey kid, Ready to take it for a spin?"

One is automatically too specific forcing animators to work around a specific prop and setting, The other is vague enough that the animators are free to do about everything under the sun.
From what i see each month there are 100+ animations awkwardly trying to use a specific prop in a specific setting because of the sound track vs a vague platform that allows the animators to imagine things their way putting the focus back on the substance of the animations vs how well someone animated from inside the box.

#2 06-03-2017 11:26 am

Horganovski
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79

Re: Chosen Voice tracks are mediocre

I think you have a point. Another thing I notice is that many of the sound clips are pretty static from an emotional point of view, ie. they start and end with a similar intensity/mood. Much more interesting if a character starts off sad and then gets angry for example as it gives the animators a chance to show a character changing mood.

I get that it's hard to pick good clips (I always find it tough when I do it for my own shots at iAnimate etc) but think it's worth spending the time as the results are a lot more interesting.

Another common issue is a lot of background noise/extra voices that makes the main voice harder to focus on. This months is a prime example with those radio voices cutting across the dialogue. Not great.
And yeah.. I wonder how many clips this month will feature Batman talking to a cop smile

Last edited by Horganovski (06-03-2017 11:29 am)

#3 06-10-2017 7:46 am

IvanMendozaMedina

Hi all. I also think you have a point. On one hand, we should be able to animate anything. And it's true that it's hard to pick audio tracks. On the other, a few months back the audios were much more fun.
For example.
"No, no, no! Don't eat the car"
Is better than.
"Can I ask why no glass?"???
But anyways. It's fun. Let's animate smile

#4 07-01-2017 11:52 pm

arcrow

I think the thing Flatsu said about the clips being too specific is a good point, and something I definitely noticed about clips from 2016, and also the "no glass" one.

You could argue that it's okay to have one of these kinds of clips every once in a while - it's interesting to see how differently people can interpret it and think outside the box, even if it is specific. With the "no glass" clip, one entry had the characters in a high-rise building with no glass in the window; I thought that was a nice funny concept. Another entry had the guy with empty eye sockets and the interviewer was really weirded out by it. big_smile

I also think that some of the clips didn't have much going in terms of emotion; the characters talked with rather casual voices.

#5 07-05-2017 3:21 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

While I'm no huge fan of the clips recently chosen, I would challenge all animators to check out this article on creative ideas: http://www.animatorisland.com/stop-bein … -thinking/ (It is specific to this 11 Second Club issue.)

The truth is, any clip can be explored creatively. We just don't practice that enough. So while I would agree that more interesting clips would be, well, more interesting, there's nothing stopping us from coming up with some amazing concepts IF we don't just play it safe and complain that creativity is too much hard work. smile

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#6 07-05-2017 3:35 pm

zethicus
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

I love the submissions when the track has only noise or music, no voices. They are super creative and fun to watch.

-Zeth

#7 07-05-2017 6:16 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

zethicus wrote:

I love the submissions when the track has only noise or music, no voices. They are super creative and fun to watch.

Sadly we get very few of those...

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#8 07-05-2017 11:53 pm

Easy619
Productive!

zethicus wrote:

I agree.

"Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." - Will Smith

Board footer