#1 07-02-2017 12:44 pm

Infernoflower

July 11 Second Club Animation WIP

Direct Link

Here's my animation. What do you think of it so far, and do I need to improve it? Also, Heavy's eyes are not rendering properly. How can I fix this?

#2 07-03-2017 10:30 am

kalel6
Power Voter

Re: July 11 Second Club Animation WIP

Hi, I am not sure what you are doing? is this simply your main story poses? Because for an initial blocking pass you should have about 50 poses?

If this is just the start of your main story telling poses there is a lot of work you can do on the poses. I'll go through each poses one by one.

1. The boys pose doesn't tell us much. The big guys pose shows little weight, have his hip lean to one side, and put his weight on one main leg, very rarely do people stand with the weight evenly distributed. and when he leans to that side have him in balance by bring is upper body leaning over to counter act the lean. on the arm scratching the head, bring the elbow out a bit, it's too straight, it should be more relaxed, so bring the elbow out slightly.

2. The guy is saying "he kept his hood up" your pose has the arm completely out stretched.... this is too extreme for what is being siad. it doesn't fit the dialogue. a simple shift in weight and head tilt would convey the sentence. but with out poses in between this it gets lost in translation.

3. the boy is looking down and not at the person he is speaking to, looks like he wasn't listening to him.... more important, he moves his two arms with out the head or shoulders moving - this is not really correct, and his arms move into very awkward positions. it feels like your moving them just to move them, and not to tell the story or show personality. Have you shot ref footage for this shot? it doesn't feel like you have, if you act out the shot and record it, you will see your story poses and then you can push the, Below is an example of ref i shot for last month.

4. The boy looks up but the left arm looks strange, it too out to the side. bring it forward and the elbow back to make the angle less harsh, it would be near impoosible to hold your arm at that angle, let alone do it naturally. again this is were ref footage will help you. remember the character is not the actor - you are.

5. and .6 the guy is looking in the same place he always has - change it up, if you want him looking off, have him look out to screen left and change the finger posing, it doesn't link with the words very well. the Pose 6. with his hand on his head - tilt the head up and place the hand on the neck so your not hiding his face and this could read a little better.

7. and 8. poses are ok, a little straight or upright, again give him a little shift in weight to one side.

9. I don't even know what this is, looks like he might be lifting a weight - the arms are twined but also it doesn't read at all well. try find a better pose.

again with only 9 poses it's hard for it to read well. If you had ref shot you could pose all the story points.
then you could pose all the extremes of the head. arms and hip moves, then you could pose all the inbetweens, how he gets from one extreme to the other, thats when you would have your first blocking pass done, it would take about 30 to 50 poses in stepped mode.

Direct Link

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world"

https://vimeo.com/217295331

#3 07-03-2017 10:32 am

kalel6
Power Voter

and here was a first blocking pass for that ref - 20+ poses.

Direct Link

Last edited by kalel6 (07-03-2017 10:32 am)

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world"

https://vimeo.com/217295331

#4 07-03-2017 10:51 am

snuffymcsnuff

Like kalel6 has said, you'll need a more complete blocking (with breakdowns) before moving to spline. You were getting there with your last month's WIP, so keep at it. Don't worry about rendering at this stage, just worry about your poses and transitions between those poses.

#5 07-03-2017 3:03 pm

zethicus
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

Infernoflower wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W8VdlR1NZQ

Here's my animation. What do you think of it so far, and do I need to improve it? Also, Heavy's eyes are not rendering properly. How can I fix this?

Don't render it, my last submission was made using Maya's viewport 2.0 it worked like a charm.

-Zeth

#6 07-03-2017 7:06 pm

Infernoflower

Thanks for your help. I'll film a ref shot before I try and improve my animation.

#7 07-09-2017 9:11 pm

Infernoflower

Direct Link

Here's a version that used a ref shot for help. I hid the ref footage as it started to go out of sync with the planned poses for my animation. Does it look like a blocking pass now?

#8 07-10-2017 7:49 am

snuffymcsnuff

It's better, but it's still a very early blocking pass. Now that you have a reference, you can go in and start building the actions through breakdowns and inbetweens (still in stepped) before you start splining. It's really important that you don't go into spline before your action reads clearly.

I think a good recent example of something that's a complete blocking pass would be chris_drummer's new WIP submission found here: http://www.11secondclub.com/forum/viewt … p?id=32093

Aside from lipsync, everything is there. The shot is a complete story and all the spline is gonna do is help smooth the transitions within that story and sell the more subtle acting choices, like facial animation and such.

If you have a really solid grasp on the graph editor and working within spline, you can of course get away with less in the blocking stage, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's easier to build your own breakdowns than to try and tame your animation program into doing what you want.

#9 07-10-2017 1:05 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

My suggestion would be to put them into a situation.  Have the bigger guy cleaning up a pile of poo or something while delivering his lines.  Right now, the lack of interest is because there isn't anything happening.  Instead of having them there just delivering lines.  Have them doing something to give context and intent to the scene.  Keep rockin'

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#10 07-10-2017 6:01 pm

Infernoflower

Thanks for your help.

#11 07-11-2017 3:52 pm

Infernoflower

Hello, I'm trying to get the big guy in my animation to hold a broom and sweep, but I'm having trouble getting him in the right positions. Please can someone give me a tutorial video to help me?

#12 07-11-2017 4:12 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen

Can you show a thumbnail of what you're thinking?  Is it a technical issue(dynamic parenting, rig limitations, etc)?  Or is it an aesthetic issue?  I've never used that rig, so i'm a bit unfamiliar with it's limitations.  The more information you can give about what it is you're struggling with, the more useful suggestions we'll be able to give.

Here's a couple quick thumbs I whipped up, do you have something similar you're working from or are you trying to build the pose on the fly?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/8wVtl1H0BZgdXzMHYLwnbgFQ5GnPiwCrrnEoZWUxfvV9iKDiVBSlJcut_tmalh9srBoqBD_tijNMeJg=w1673-h882

Ryan
Animator

#13 07-11-2017 5:16 pm

Infernoflower

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd91/Infernoflower/Posing%20Problem.jpg

Here's a screencap. The problem is that the bottom parts of the Heavy rig's arms, which is the big guy I'm using, can only rotate upwards and downwards as Rotate X and Y, and, if I rotate Heavy's arms too close to his body, they clip through it. What can I do about this?

#14 07-12-2017 1:03 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen

Are you using all of the controls in the arm to get him into position? Including the shoulder control and spine controls?  I'm sure you can get him into position if you use all of those controls. If you look at your video ref, you can see you're bending in the spine quite a bit more than you have your guy right now.  Really push yourself to get the pose you need.   I wlll download the rig tonight and do some testing with him and come back with suggestions.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ryan
Animator

#15 07-12-2017 1:19 pm

Infernoflower

Thanks for your help. I also filmed some reference of myself using the same type of broom Heavy is using, and will use that to help me too.

#16 07-13-2017 3:09 pm

Infernoflower

Hello, Ryan, please can you show me some recommended poses for Heavy if you're done testing the rig?

#17 07-13-2017 3:34 pm

zethicus
Celebrity

Inferno, don't be afraid to use every single control to get the pose that you want. I would recommend sketching the poses before so that once you're in a 3d environment you'll pose the character the way you wanted it in the first place, cheers!

-Zeth

#18 07-13-2017 4:34 pm

Infernoflower

Thanks for your help.

#19 07-15-2017 2:43 pm

Infernoflower

Hello, I've managed to get Heavy into a sweeping position, and I've parented the broom to his right hand, but I can't move Heavy's right hand forwards to get the broom to go forwards. How can I move Heavy's hands and the broom forwards?

#20 07-15-2017 8:31 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen

Depending on what you want happening, I would suggest you parent the hands to the broom vs the broom to the hands.  There's a nice script for dynamic parenting called zvParentMaster that handles that really nicely.  https://www.highend3d.com/maya/script/z … r-for-maya

Ryan
Animator

#21 07-15-2017 8:49 pm

Infernoflower

I parented Heavy's hand to the broom with Parent Master, but thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestion.

#22 07-15-2017 9:05 pm

Infernoflower

If I parent the hand to the broom, then Heavy's hand control becomes detached from his hand, but if I parent the broom to his hand, the hand control doesn't become detached from his hand. Either way, I can't move the broom and hand at the same time, though I can rotate them. By the way, I am selecting the broom group in the Outliner when selecting the broom. How can I fix this problem and move the broom forwards?

#23 07-15-2017 9:31 pm

zethicus
Celebrity

Maya's constraints are difficult to explain, the best course of action IMO is to plan out how and what objects you're constraining to what controls beforehand. The key is being organized I believe.

-Zeth

#24 07-16-2017 1:46 pm

Infernoflower

Thanks for your help.

#25 07-16-2017 8:15 pm

Infernoflower

I found out there was an IK/FK switch on Heavy, so now I can move the broom forwards easily. Also, I'm having a problem with ParentMaster. When I select the broom and right hand, I can parent the broom to it just fine, but when I try and select the same objects again to detach the broom, I get an error that says: "#Error: Exception: No Valid Objects selected". How can I fix this? Is it a bug with ParentMaster or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by Infernoflower (07-17-2017 7:29 pm)

Board footer