#52 03-21-2013 7:24 am

Deepadas

Re: Beginner Exercises with examples, and explanations for you to follow!

Wolfer..I have a question...the examples you have shown is ball having squash and stretch (i mean ball having some characteristics through which jumps,runs..could be related) but before starting all these In think we need to practice normal ball bounce w/o having squash and stretch and then move on these..right?

Life is not a rehearsal, Each day is a new show.Each day is a new show.

#53 03-21-2013 9:43 am

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Hi!
You're absolutely right, it is a good idea to get that basic out of the way, and if you're really just starting out, I highly recommend to get the ball bounce nailed before applying squash and stretch to it. Actually, that's how I work even today, I animate the ball, get the timing right, and only after that I apply squash and stretch.

#54 03-21-2013 9:53 am

Deepadas

yup wolfer..i got a bit terrified by watching so much stretch and squash in the ball(although i get that ri8 that while u start applying these properties it means urs is a starting of character animation),THANKS A LOT FOR CLARIFYING!

Life is not a rehearsal, Each day is a new show.Each day is a new show.

#55 03-29-2013 5:24 pm

FlashofReality

#56 04-03-2013 6:58 am

srinukumar
Celebrity
Karmojo: 63

Hi,

Story board Animation challenge exercise. http://storyboard.animation-arts.com/

thanks

srinukumar

#57 06-25-2013 9:05 pm

mabby

Hello!

I am new to animation and decided to do the exercises starting with a basic bouncing ball on loop. Below is a playblast of it.

Direct Link

It takes 24 frames for the ball to complete a loop. I placed the breakdown where the ball contacts the ground on frame 12. I then broke the tangent.

I am not happy with the result. I feel like something is off, particularly with the stretch and squash.

I also have another question. For the translation of the ball I set three keys (2 extremes and one breakdowns). When I was planning the ball in 2D I drew every inbetween such that the ball slows out of position and accelerates downwards until it contacts the ground and slows into the highest position on its way up. Should I have done the same in 3D? Or should I set keyframes every 2 frames?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I can't get my head around it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#58 10-12-2013 10:05 pm

SeaOrange

Awesome stuff,,,,,,,,,,,, really helpful ...................

#59 12-18-2013 2:49 am

GrampaBetts

Tried the first one out, 10years out of using maya... how can I improve this wretch?

Direct Link

#60 12-18-2013 12:22 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Hey!
I think it looks very good!
If you want to make a cartoony, snappy ball bounce, I'd say you're done already, probably have the stretch fade out a little earlier and fade in a little later, so the ball isn't as wobbly in the air, but if you want to make a realistic ball bounce, you have to slow it down a lot, because right now it looks like its hitting an invisible soft barrier in the air.

Keep going!

#61 02-22-2014 2:18 pm

Yrliva

How to animate realistic ball? A ball that will do  the same thing in real life. Is this means, i do not add squash and stretch at all or to add just a bit?

For total beginner, these bouncing ball exercise are to hard. Any other practice for a total beginner to suggest, before we go to these?

#62 02-23-2014 1:39 pm

VoltStorm7

Yrliva wrote:

How to animate realistic ball? A ball that will do  the same thing in real life. Is this means, i do not add squash and stretch at all or to add just a bit?

For total beginner, these bouncing ball exercise are to hard. Any other practice for a total beginner to suggest, before we go to these?

You would add a little bit. Enough to notice it a little bit, but not a lot. Bouncing ball is the start of everyone's journey. It has every principle applied to it and it solely depends on the animator on how it will look.

Portfolio // coroflot.com/staffordahartz/portfolio
​            //​ ​ vimeo.com/user27376513

#63 02-23-2014 3:44 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Yrliva wrote:

Hi!
I'd say you always have a little squash and stretch, but like I said in the posts, they are, compared to the most more cartooney animations of a bouncing ball, very unnoticeable.
The cartooney bouncing of a ball is nevertheless the groundworks of a whole lot of other movements, and yes, the starting lesson is always a bouncing ball, because it's easy. Everyone can do it. If you read what I wrote, and follow the instructions accurately, after repeating lesson ONE, you will not find it hard anymore.

If reading this wall of text is too taxing for you, there are a lot of free bouncing ball tutorial videos around, I even linked a few, if I can remember correctly.
These posts are furthermost to illuminate the physics behind animation, so you know what physic law you bend in which way to achieve the desired result.

If you meant 'I don't know how to use maya' by'bouncing ball is too hard for beginners', no problem! go to Jason Ryan's ramp up tutorials page, and take a look at the Maya Basics Tutorial:
http://www.jasonryananimation.com/ramp- … rials.html

Cheers!

Wolfi

#64 09-26-2014 2:34 pm

Mishkawy

Hi,

As a complete beginner I am thanking you for the great effort you have made in this topic, and I am going to work on everything you have mentioned here smile

Thanks,
Kareem

"Hopeful"

#65 01-06-2017 7:54 am

SuperJunior

Great Staff! Thanks for sharing!

I am an animator. I feel like I'm the manager of an animation cinema factory. I am not an executive. I'm rather like a foreman, like the boss of a team of craftsmen. That is the spirit of how I work.

#66 03-19-2017 4:54 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Hi guys! due to changes in how dropbox handles public links, I can only recreate the few example movie links that point to my own dropbox. Until Stefan, who made most of the other examples you were seeing here, updated his movie files I linked here, there are currently only a few examples to look at. Sorry bout that! I'll try to resolve taht issue asap smile

#67 05-27-2017 7:12 am

jeffthoms

Thanks for sharing such helpful threads and links

#68 06-04-2017 7:05 am

EverythingAnimation

R u guys even giving tips for stick tutorials

#69 06-04-2017 7:10 am

EverythingAnimation

U guys even talk about stick man anim

#70 06-04-2017 7:14 am

EverythingAnimation

ps. I have a YouTube channel only has one vid but I'll be uploading more if I get more support the yt name is EverythingAnimtion and has little stick figure as profile pic

#71 06-04-2017 9:52 pm

EverythingAnimation

Srry the name is AniamtionPerson here a link to it I only have 1 vid but it'd be cool if u could sub the support will help me https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCfZHL29xyblaUwWtR5Ym06A

Board footer