#1 01-09-2017 6:28 pm

5thsun

feature film rigging tutorial

I'm looking for a tutorial that goes over who to build a rigging for a feature film,  all i ever find is basic tutorials nothing that actually goes into depth.

#2 01-10-2017 3:58 pm

cgjedi

Re: feature film rigging tutorial

Well, you will be looking for a long time since this just does not exist.  A feature film studio will not give out that information.  The best you can do is look up some of the online rigging schools.  Most are run by riggers in games and some feature studios.  But again, they can not give up their secrets (they have contracts) so they really dumb down the sessions.

However, I would recommend this book.  It's probably the best book from a feature rigging standpoint that I'm aware of:Inspired 3D Advanced Rigging and Deformations.  If your thought is that this book is from 2005 so how can it possibly still be valid, well, rigging really has not changed much, surprisingly.  Sure tools have been made to look prettier and a bit more user friendly, but at the core, there has not been much of a shakeup in how rigs are made.  This is coming from the guy that made the very first procedural auto-rigging tool all the way back in 2000.

Last edited by cgjedi (01-10-2017 4:18 pm)

"Whatever is worth doing at all, is worth doing well."
Lord Chesterfield, 1747
"you will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view"
Obi-Wan

#3 01-11-2017 3:33 pm

5thsun

thank u very much sir

#4 01-11-2017 9:49 pm

fusedgore

Well they will give out that informaiton because it is everywhere. Download any autorigger and see how complex those rigs are ,you have to be able to make those manually.This takes years to get right.

Unless someone like YOU cares a whole awfult lot ,nothing is going to get better .Its not -The Lorax

#5 01-12-2017 9:45 am

animatress
Celebrity
Karmojo: 61

How about trying out Josh Sobel's tutorial?Actually he worked previously in Disney Feature and his Rigs are soo good!!!!

#6 01-13-2017 6:27 pm

5thsun

im looking for realistic type rigging think lord of the rings or vision in the marvel movies, not a pixar style rig

#7 01-13-2017 8:09 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

I'm a little confused by that question 5thsun, can you tell me what you see as different between those two rigs overall?  The rigs aren't going to be all that different in general theory.

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#8 01-25-2017 2:34 pm

5thsun

im looking for in depth muscle and skeletal structures.  looking for a complete tutorial that would work for something like pirates of the Caribbean.  not a cartoon type of rig. something that explains why this why not that from top to bottom all the way to the skinning process.

#9 01-25-2017 11:32 pm

cgjedi

I'm going to assume you are pretty new to the industry in general.  As far as I'm aware, there is no tutorial around that is like you describe.  That vast majority of rigs in any film do not contain accurate muscular structures in the rig.  It's just not required.  The name of the game is to make things simple and to make it look like there is underlying musculature - if needed.  And most times it's not needed.  And usually this is done by shapes anyway as corrective fixes.

If a rig needs to have more accurate anatomical movement, that is usually a one-off rig taking lots of R&D time and development.  It's very specific and this is usually tied to the method of the particular studio doing the work.  They are not going to release this as a tutorial.

"Whatever is worth doing at all, is worth doing well."
Lord Chesterfield, 1747
"you will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view"
Obi-Wan

#10 01-26-2017 3:56 pm

SuperJunior

There is always no short cut to building something really great!
For feature film's characters, the reason why they look so good, is because there are simply huge amount of work being applied on a single character. Fon instance, they maybe have thousands of blendshapes for a single character, and each blendshape is either sculpted by a really senior modeler or scanned directly.
Besides the rigging part, there is also s big team called tech animation working on the characters. They do shot based work, such cloth, geo penetration fix. It's almost like they are doing stop motion frame by frame.
For tutorials parts, there are always something out there. I would suggest Rigging Dojo and CGCircuit.

Last edited by SuperJunior (01-26-2017 4:21 pm)

I am an animator. I feel like I'm the manager of an animation cinema factory. I am not an executive. I'm rather like a foreman, like the boss of a team of craftsmen. That is the spirit of how I work.

#11 01-26-2017 7:33 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Sorry for not understanding you initially.  To add to some of the replies here, you may look into muscle systems and things like that, I know there's plenty of information online regarding that.  I think you'll have to tackle each aspect separately as I don't know of a tutorial series covering this as a whole or in parts.  Sorry for the lack of help.

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#12 05-26-2017 3:02 pm

fusedgore

Every rig in basically the same . Its the fact that squash and stretch is not used on realistic humans because no human can stretch the way toon animaiton does. Facial rigs on the other hand are really impressive .Toons are meant to strecth like well stretch armstrong ,realism is more control so you get a ton of deformation. Cartoons use a mutlitude of skeletons to make the rig work better.Yes more than 1 skeleton can be done.This is where digtial tutors was a wonderful teaching source .Because every auto-rigger that is out there now well the good ones use their base for their setup .The thing with realisim is you need to match what the skeleton is .So say you are going to rig a fish then you need to match the same way the real fishes skeleton is .Rigging is not hard ,you have to simply put the time into study what it everything looks and works like.

Facial Rig
http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/expressive … d-ashrafi/
http://www.chrisevans3d.com/pub_blog/mu … l-rigging/
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/scri … al-rigging

Unless someone like YOU cares a whole awfult lot ,nothing is going to get better .Its not -The Lorax

Board footer