#1 04-17-2017 8:01 pm

animguy

Really basic question, but could use some help

Hi,

This is probably really dumb, but is there some kind of trick to make a walk cycle go from walking in place like a treadmill to walking through space? Or will I have to re-animate the feet/body controllers?

I've tried animating the big master control along with the walk, but his feet are still slippery and I can't seem to get it quite right.

#2 04-17-2017 8:52 pm

Winterstride

Re: Really basic question, but could use some help

The moment one of your feet connects with the ground to the moment it lifts off again is the key, it has all the information you need to set the speed on your master/move-all control to exactly line up with your feet.

In the graph editor, isolate the translation your foot is moving forward in (usually translate Z) and select the key where the key connects with the ground and the one where it lifts again and COPY that. Go to you master/move-all, set a key on your Translate Z (or whatever direction your character is walking), and paste. This works best if if the tangents on your IK feet are set to LINEAR while it's on the ground to prevent slippage.

If you don't need the character to stop you can now Cycle with Offset and walk forever.

Last edited by Winterstride (04-17-2017 8:58 pm)

#3 04-18-2017 7:53 am

Arterial Tree
Celebrity
Karmojo: 68

This is a tutorial showing you how to use the tool Locinator (from cgmtools) to convert a treadmill walk to a walk moving through space.

Direct Link

I find this method particularly helpful because, once the process is complete, it frees up the main/master controller so you can re-position your cycling walk if necessary.

Here's a video describing the cgmtools install process:

Direct Link

#4 04-18-2017 3:51 pm

Winterstride

That's an interesting process. Question, though: for those of us who cannot install custom scripts on our computers at work what sort of alternative would you use? I haven't had to do a lot of turning in my cycles so far so I'm curious about how you'd handle this without that script.

#5 04-20-2017 1:57 pm

Arterial Tree
Celebrity
Karmojo: 68

Hi Winterstride.

Unfortunately I don't really know of any alternative at this time. If I find one, I'll be sure to post it here. But with Locinator, I think it basically creates a locator for each controller that moves through space independently (so on a basic walk that might be the COG and the IK feet but not the Main controller) and then snaps the locator to the controller whenever it moves and keys the locator. So essentially, it is copying the location and rotation of these controllers over to the locator. Then, when the animation on the main controller is deleted, it reverses the process, copying and pasting the animation from the locators back onto those original controllers.

So if there is a nice simple way to copy the animation from those 3 controllers onto locators and then back again, that might do it. You could try it manually by snapping/aligning the locators to those controllers for every key, but this could be a very monotonous task if the shot is a long one or if there are a lot of keyframes.

But I'll try and look into it and post back if I find something that might speed up the process.

#6 04-20-2017 8:19 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

This might be a solution for you. Not sure, ive never done it myself, hope it helps though.

Direct Link

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#7 04-25-2017 1:09 am

animguy

Thank you all for your help!

Board footer