#1 04-15-2017 5:10 pm

nbrooks

Advice needed for finding first job

Hi all

I have been studying animation for a while now and have been looking for work for quite some time.
I have been applying for jobs quite a lot but never seem to hear back for anybody in regards to employment or
at very least an interview.

I don't know if this is because of my lack of studio experience of because I'm just not good enough as an animator (hopefully not the latter)

Feel free to take a look at my website and my current demo reel (currently working on new animations to update my reel) the web address is below.

http://nabrooks8.wixsite.com/animation

any advice that anyone can give me would be most appreciated!!!

I look forward to any replies!!

Last edited by nbrooks (04-16-2017 8:35 am)

#2 04-16-2017 12:09 pm

random_person
Power Voter

Re: Advice needed for finding first job

I don't know anything about the industry or why you're not receiving replies, but just from looking at your reel I think you might want to show things that are more "flattering" to your current skill level.
You have shots there like the wolfman attack and the parkour stuff that are really hard to do well and they are reveling your weak spots. So maybe you should think of compiling your reel from simpler shots that you can do really well and take them as far as you can in polish, even if you end up with something much shorter.

#3 04-18-2017 10:44 am

snuffymcsnuff

random_person has a point, but speaking from experience (as someone who went to animation school and have been employed since right after graduation), the key to getting a job is networking. It's not always the case and obviously you'll want a good reel to show off your skills, but the two times I've been hired has been through friends putting in a good word for me. I'm not saying no one ever gets hired based on their skill alone, but the animation business can be fickle in that everybody knows one another. There will always be someone at a studio ready to put in a good word for a friend if a position opens up. It's a place to start anyway, if you have friends or even just acquaintances working in the business.

If not, well... time to get networking.

#4 04-18-2017 11:31 am

nbrooks

Thanks for the tips I will try and refine my work more. as for networking where do you go for this I don't know where to start I live in the UK and I imagine that there are events that are gong on but I have no idea how to find out when and where?? how do you go about networking????

Cheers!

#5 04-18-2017 1:18 pm

LouistOF

Top Tours & Tickets in Verona. Book Online Now for Local Prices!

#6 04-19-2017 12:51 pm

MMARZT

I'm currently in a similiar state (freelancer), so I know your pain. Above posters already gave some good advice. Keep your reel short and if you're in doubt of keeping something in, either improve it or kick it. That's the advice I always read on "how to make a good reel" slides from recruiters.

About Networking: It totally depends on your personality. I got some freelance jobs through friends or even teachers I know from university, sometimes I got offerings from people I literally just met on economy gatherings (that was product- and arch-viz stuff though).

Since you are in the UK you are in a perfect place to network. You don't really have to go to Verona since lots of Europe's biggest studios are already there. Especially when working abroad is not an option.

A really good place to find out about the newest openings though is through LinkedIn. Imagine Facebook but in a business matter. Recruiters of bigger studios usually offer you to subscribe/befriend them and that way you get the openings as fresh as possible. That way I found out about this recruiting show in London from method Studios and Iloura you should probably checkout: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur … 076636160/
That way you can get in touch with the recruiters, hear from them what THEY like to see (not every studio wants the same stuff in their reel - they are always looking for a style that fits their projects).

And when you're waiting in line, watch a presentation or have a drink (they are offered), be sure to talk to other people, ask them what they do and try to get to know them. They COULD become your next oppurtunity, but I usually try to not treat them just as oppurtunities, but as colleagues. You can always learn from other peoples experiences or give something back, sometimes even become friends. Opportunities will follow then, at least some did with me. Oh, and get visa cards! ;D

#7 04-20-2017 12:20 pm

nbrooks

Hi MMARZT

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. networking has always been something that I have never been sure how to approach so I will defiantly take a look at the link you provided and hopefully find some shows/events to attend as I imagine there are quite a few in London. I have just signed up to LinkedIn so will make the most of it and try to link up with some people via that as well, and like you suggest I will get some cards real soon.

thanks again

#8 04-23-2017 3:38 pm

MMARZT

no probs! smile You're welcome!

Last edited by MMARZT (04-23-2017 3:39 pm)

Board footer