#1 04-05-2017 6:28 pm

wellings
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 51
Productive!

CHEF entry

Haven't been able to enter or vote in a while as I've just been too busy with work and life stuff, but I check in every month to view the top entries and this time I have to ask: How did the "Chef" entry end up 9th?! That should have been top 3 at least, potentially even the winner!

#2 04-05-2017 6:55 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Re: CHEF entry

Opinions vary, keep that in mind.  I agree, it was a strong entry.

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#3 04-05-2017 11:09 pm

Easy619
Productive!

The subjective life of art. big_smile

"Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." - Will Smith

#4 04-06-2017 3:59 pm

wellings
Model Citizen
Productive!

Yes, opinions vary. Buuuuuuut high quality anim is still high quality anim. It was definitely technically superior to some other entries. The acting choices, camera move and cinematography were excellent as well.
Opinions vary and art is subjective, but try telling that to your anim supe when he/she gives you notes lol

I just don't like to see high quality work place lower than it should because I know how much time everyone puts into their work.

#5 04-06-2017 4:34 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen

Well, you can't compare this competition or individual opinions to an animation supervisor unfortunately.  This is a site for growing and getting better, not a review site for production. And while I almost never agree with the final outcomes of the voting, I can't do anything to change it. 
I remember when the 10secondclub mailing list and cgchar was a bunch of people just wanting to get better and no one cared about a badge.  Times have changed.

Ryan
Animator

#6 04-10-2017 3:19 pm

wellings
Model Citizen
Productive!

personally I'm a fan of both. It's hugely important to animate just to get better, but in terms of this competition, I like the badges and stuff. It gives people something to aim for and some kind of reward, even if the voting isn't always accurate.
It seems to me like this site is much quieter than it was a couple of years ago. I see lots of entries still but the chat on the site seems to be down a lot. Granted I haven't been here much myself lately but that's the vibe I get.

Last edited by wellings (04-10-2017 3:20 pm)

#7 04-10-2017 7:55 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen

Agreed, the chatter is down significantly, not sure why.  And in truth, I feel the site could use an overhaul a bit to give it a fresh look, and some of the backend things could be cleaned up.  But I know it's not the admins full time gig, and that's hard to find time for. I do think though, that it would reinvigorate the site and get people chatting a bit more.

Ryan
Animator

Board footer