#1 03-23-2017 7:44 pm

SESMAEIL2
Celebrity
Karmojo: 67

Here's where I get my rigs

Hi everyone,

A lot of people here at the 11 second club ask me where do I get my rigs from. I get them from www.daz3d.com
Basically, I export characters from Daz as fbx files with blendshapes and do the rigging, animation, and lighting in maya. The characters export with skinned skeletons and nicely painted weights, so I only add my rig which I create easily using an awesome script called AbAutorig II which you can get it here: http://www.supercrumbly.com/3d.php?sid=207#.WNQXFzvyuUk
There are other good auto rig scripts out there. I just happened to use that one. It's not free, but I'm sure you can find something similar for free.

I like using new rigs because I'm tired of watching the same old ones over and over again. I also like to light and render my animation because lighting, in my opinion, is crucial to the overall mood of the story which supports the acting choices. I'm not saying people should vote higher if rendering looks good, but if rendering is done right it will support the acting choices of the characters and will make the animation more convincing. So if you have a really nice animation as a playblast and another one with not so nice animation but great lighting and rendering you should vote higher for the nice playblast animation.   

I just wanted to share my thoughts with you. For me, the point of being here is to have fun and express my passion for animation. Feel free to leave any comments or questions.

Thank you,
-Shamel

#2 03-27-2017 10:38 am

fanc3d

Re: Here's where I get my rigs

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the rigs you use. I had a question or two.

I completely understand your use of daz3d characters and the whole FBX to Maya process. Thousands of incredible characters for animating and rarely used in this forum. Poser/Daz ARE NOT known for traditional animation use (or any good at creating animation manually), so I understand why it's not favored very much. Trying to keyframe in poser/daz studio verses Maya and/3DS Max are two different worlds.

The Daz Studio to Maya is almost a flawless transfer from one software to another and ready to use. I even added HumanIK for a semi-useful control rig a few times. The potential is there. If we can lower the polygon count a little, at least for animating on the meshes, that would be awesome too.

My question(s) are: How or why would you integrate AbAutorig II in already rigged characters from Daz3d? Are you saying you are trashing the bones/skin weights from Daz to rig with AbAutorig II? Are you performing some sort of bone/weight replacement process?

Then there's the matter of that pesky main bone that's centered of the character. How did you get the character to move out of place without it? Dazstudio drops in that centered bone and when you try to walk your character from it, seems like the whole mesh gets distorted. Therein, I understand why you would switch over to AbAutorig II for better control ... but how did you do it??

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Visit me at Fanc3d.com

#3 03-28-2017 2:19 am

SESMAEIL2
Celebrity
Karmojo: 67

As you mentioned, Daz is not really ideal for animation which is why I export characters to maya.

The reason I integrate AbAutorig II is to get the curves controls with IK/FK switch and so forth. When exporting a character from Daz it comes with a skeleton only, not really a rig. It's not really practical to animate the bones, so you need some sort of rig. It could be any rig as long as you can make the character fit in it. AbAutorig II allows you to customize a rig for any character (even quadrupeds.)

I don't trash the skin weights from Daz that would defeat the point of using a Daz character. I only parent each Daz bone under the correspondent AbAutorig bone.  For example, I parent Daz head bone to AbAutorig head bone so when you rotate the head curve control it drives the two head bones (Daz's and AbAutorig's), and since the Daz bones have the skinning weights they deform the mesh properly. When I say parenting I mean hierarchical parenting, not constraining.

Once all the Daz bones are parented to AbAutorig bones, including the hips bone, the character will be freed from the root bone that you mentioned. It wont have any effect on anything anymore, but because everything is parented under it, I keep it for organizational purposes only. You can choose to delete it.

Parenting all the bones is a bit tedious at first, but if you do it once you can make a script and save it in the shelf (if you use maya) so next time all bones get parented in one click.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thank you,
-Shamel

#4 05-23-2017 10:23 am

jeffthoms

Thanks for sharing i like using new rigs too.

Board footer