#1 01-11-2017 1:04 am

JaqueMarques

Quick animation exercise

https://youtu.be/-Pu_ZWC8UTY

So, this is supposed to be a quick exercise to review the basics and I would really appreciate some honest feedback about how to become a better animator! Thank you very much! big_smile

#2 01-11-2017 9:20 am

Evelyn3D

Re: Quick animation exercise

This looks nice so far smile it's cartoony, squishy and the poses are nice and clear.

right off the bat, because you are moving many things all at similar speeds, I honestly thought the camera was rotating around him until after watching it a few times I then noticed the table wasn't so that's when my brain clicked out of that false illusion. His elbow moving would be to blame in my opinion but I also would think about playing with the timing in different areas, like having his head first star pulling in and then his body following. Adding little slow downs or halts to the process of leaning over can also make it a little more dramatic. And to resolve the elbow, You can have his shoulder start caving into his body before even moving it.
-the timing of one hand closing and the other opening is happening at very similar times. I would maybe break that up.
-when he crashes his head on the table, I feel like it's a little too bouncy. You could also have his head slam the table, hold for a second or two and then shoot back up.
-the eyebrows in the end feel a little bouncy. treat it like a muscle that tightens in reaction to the characters thought process.

I hope this helps. It looks like a fun exercise, how many hours have you put in to it? smile

Last edited by Evelyn3D (01-11-2017 9:23 am)

#3 01-11-2017 4:22 pm

isobare

nice exercise i ll try it

#4 01-12-2017 1:06 am

JaqueMarques

Evelyn3D wrote:

This looks nice so far smile it's cartoony, squishy and the poses are nice and clear.

right off the bat, because you are moving many things all at similar speeds, I honestly thought the camera was rotating around him until after watching it a few times I then noticed the table wasn't so that's when my brain clicked out of that false illusion. His elbow moving would be to blame in my opinion but I also would think about playing with the timing in different areas, like having his head first star pulling in and then his body following. Adding little slow downs or halts to the process of leaning over can also make it a little more dramatic. And to resolve the elbow, You can have his shoulder start caving into his body before even moving it.
-the timing of one hand closing and the other opening is happening at very similar times. I would maybe break that up.
-when he crashes his head on the table, I feel like it's a little too bouncy. You could also have his head slam the table, hold for a second or two and then shoot back up.
-the eyebrows in the end feel a little bouncy. treat it like a muscle that tightens in reaction to the characters thought process.

I hope this helps. It looks like a fun exercise, how many hours have you put in to it? smile

Thank you SO MUCH!!! That is such a detailed feedback! I will implement that on this and next animations! About the time, its hard to say cause I could only work on it for a certain amount of time everyday, so I would maybe guess between 3-5h total. Probably more than I should, but I was reminding myself of the basics xD Again, thank you for the feedback!

Board footer