#51 10-30-2016 6:29 am

GideonFester

Re: Student Animation Thread [Post here!]

Hello,
this seemed the best place to introduce myself. My name is Gideon and I am in my second year of an animation degree. As part of our audio module we have been tasked with engaging with your competition with at least one piece of work entered. I am new to the world of lip synching with this being my second attempt at it, my first in 3D.

I'm aware that the deadline to the competition is very close and the video lacks a frame counter so I'm not expecting any feedback (although please feel free to do so if you feel so inclined!), I suppose I'm just using this as an opportunity to formally introduce my self to the website's community.

Direct Link

Last edited by GideonFester (10-30-2016 6:51 am)

#52 06-21-2017 1:59 am

PhoenixG

raywindz64th: I laughed when the mirror fell, that was entertaining. The man's initial head bob up in preparation is good. It's difficult to magically redrawn hard worked on scenes, but for a future thought, the more you use your character and 'sell' their expressions, the better. Perhaps dropping the held prop and using both hands to grab his face, getting a progressive full body motion with the no NO NOO!! (More and more motion in a building gesture.)

For example, the hands on his aghast face could come off, and progressively 'step' their way out to a wide pose of shock. I do like his expression at "don't understand a word I'm sayin." And the ear/tail waggle of the goat, all together quite entertaining!

Keep pushing your characters!

The journey of 1,000 sites begins with a single click.

#53 06-21-2017 2:15 am

PhoenixG

GideonFester wrote:

Hello,
this seemed the best place to introduce myself. My name is Gideon and I am in my second year of an animation degree. As part of our audio module we have been tasked with engaging with your competition with at least one piece of work entered. I am new to the world of lip synching with this being my second attempt at it, my first in 3D.

I'm aware that the deadline to the competition is very close and the video lacks a frame counter so I'm not expecting any feedback (although please feel free to do so if you feel so inclined!), I suppose I'm just using this as an opportunity to formally introduce my self to the website's community.

Direct Link

Hello, welcome to the community! I just joined today as I have become a student myself. You have a great sense of gestures to audio, the timing is good. If I could pick absolutely one thing to improve on, it would be using the COG more in the rig. Even a subtle "up" and "down" for emphasis would reduce the static parts and make it more lively. My professor puts a huge stress on making sure to use the center of gravity/upper body control in every bipedal character animation.

Thank you for posting this, I really feel better knowing I'm not the only one out there who is still learning new things every day. It's obvious you are cut out to be a great animator, as that sense of character expression and persona is peeping out in your budding style. (The brow animation, the hands. The very well timed rise and fall/snapping of chin. That's good acting, right there.) The head/eye motions really sell it to the audio.

It would be nice to see that final "boom" on the punch line, he is a little rigid right in the last few seconds. You can push it just two seconds farther to really sell that sarcastic punch.

I really liked getting to see this, I love your pessimistic character. (The eyes are a bit intense, even if meant to be, maybe a 'roll' upward could help reduce the soul piercing aspect in the early part of the scene. I know it would be a bit better after the blinking and you're still working on it, just my thoughts.)

Keep at it!! And post more.

The journey of 1,000 sites begins with a single click.

#54 07-20-2017 7:56 pm

AliJayShannon

Evening all! Only just joined up, saw the student section thought Id post up. Im actually studying computer arts and animation is a part of that, its not solely a course on animation. (they never let me into that one, said my portfolio wasnt good enough sad sad times) Anyway, I posted in the july competition progress/feedback thread before I noticed this student one, so thought Id post it here too for other students to nosey at. Lookin forward to spending more time on this site!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWJUIxyXxNM

#55 08-09-2017 4:50 pm

mvn882

Hey!
I'm actually a game development student, but I took some extracurriculars in animation and now I think I might want to become a 3D animator!
I started for the august competition today and this is what I made in the last few hours, feedback is appreciated!
https://youtu.be/ESCsd9c-6Hk

Board footer