#1 04-09-2016 11:26 pm

tartarstudio

2D vs 3D voting

I am relatively new here; this month will be my 3rd entry. I tried to look up if this topic has been discussed before but it seems the forum has no search function. Anyway,
I noticed on more than one occasion, coming from different people here, that people tend to rate 2D higher than 3D. I am a 2D hobbist, and naturally have a soft spot for anything 2D, more so if stylized 2D! but I would try my best to look at the animation itself when voting in this club. So i was wondering if more people have the perception that a bias towards 2D exists and why they think it is there to begin with.

Your thoughts would be appreciated smile
Thanks!

#2 04-10-2016 6:24 am

Gaucelm

Re: 2D vs 3D voting

Maybe because 2D submissions are more rare, so they get the benefit of "novelty".

Maybe because 2D require more images to be drawn separately, so it looks like more effort has been put there, while most 3D already has pre-built engines/rigs for these contests.

Maybe because modern mainstream animated movies tend to be predominantly 3D, and so there is going to be a bias towards 2D so as to "give it a chance".

Maybe because 2D is much older and has been established for a longer time, so it has more "seniority" and looks more "old-timey respectable".

#3 04-16-2016 8:14 am

ForzaInter
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

I can definitely say that I'm guilty of this.

As said by the people above, 2D animation, like stop-motion, is a tough discipline and I got a respect and admiration for the people excercising it. It's even harder to do acting and put all the subtleties in. Plus, it's quite rare to see.

..:: We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit ::.. Aristotle

Twitter

#4 04-22-2016 10:54 am

tartarstudio

Thank you guys for your feedback, appreciated!

#5 04-22-2016 3:36 pm

Easy619
Productive!

There is definitely a bias for the 2d. It is what it is lol. I honestly don't think 3d is as easy as people think. Especially if you're going for feature quality. Both 2d and 3d have there positives and negatives I'd say.

"Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." - Will Smith

#6 04-22-2016 5:37 pm

Easy619
Productive!

It depends what you're animating though. Are you animating something like a powerpuff girl or are you animating something like the beast in 2d. You can hold a pose completely still for several frames in 2d, but in 3d you may need to have keys to keep the character looking alive for those frames and jump in the graph editor.

Last edited by Easy619 (04-22-2016 5:40 pm)

"Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." - Will Smith

#7 04-24-2016 4:01 pm

doffer
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 46

ericraffle wrote:

I've been doing 3d my entire career, the simple fact is that 2d you need to have way more skills then 3d, 3d is far easier then 2d its just a simple fact.

I'm sorry, but your opinion does not become a fact, just because you say it is a fact big_smile
Maybe one is easier than the other for YOU, but that does not make it so for everybody.

Christoffer Andersen - www.doffer.dk
Senior Animator

#8 05-02-2016 10:49 am

Harry
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 49

I'm curious what other people think of this too 'coz I know I sometimes rate 2d animation higher than 3d.
BUT it depends on the style of the piece.

To me this is the deciding factor: How much of the animation is left to the computer to draw?

In 3d, the computer 'draws' everything in your scene, giving you free perspective and keeping things on model. Easy. Thanks, computer!
It even provides motion (interpolation) between poses. How much did you rely on this? An excellent 3d animator will leave next to nothing for the computer to interpolate. So if they show such ambition I'll give top marks.

Some 2d styles can rely on the computer drawing things for you as well. A HomeStarRunner style piece has solid vector shapes that the computer redraws for the artist all the way through. Now, it's still valid! I'm not saying it isn't. But I think it's not as hard as...

...drawing on paper in a Disney style! In this case there is no computer to help you. You have to draw everything yourself. You have to have mastered things like drawing correct perspective, anatomy and capturing emotions and lipsync... and make sure you do this across the board while keeping your character on model without any jittering or sliding or any such artifacts.

That sounds like a lot more work to me and that's why, if this kind of style is well executed, I mark it highest.

You have to be a hunter.

-Shawn Kelly

#9 05-02-2016 12:47 pm

captainMorgan

hey everyone, this is my first time here, and I was wondering, can we use any rigs we want, I have iAnimate rigs.

#10 05-03-2016 2:19 pm

kalel6
Power Voter

I lean in the other direction, i find a lot of 2D work is sub par and lacks animation fundamentals. becuase of the process involved, it end up being rushed, and has frames missing or not completed, the animation tends to have characters frozen in a position, their arms, and bodys go through motionless frames - 3D Animation tends not to suffer these problems for the most part. of course sometimes you find the awful 3D animator and it's not good, and Sometimes you have an amazing 2D animator and it looks brilliant. i just find for 11 seconds a 2D animator has far more to do to submit a finished Polished Shot than a 3D animator with out the issues mentioned above.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world"

https://vimeo.com/217295331

#11 05-03-2016 2:23 pm

kalel6
Power Voter

I Am a 3D animator mind you. I find 3D Better - It is worth noting that very few 2 D Animation actually win or end up in the top 5. Thats not to say none, but very few.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world"

https://vimeo.com/217295331

#12 05-03-2016 6:02 pm

tartarstudio

it would be fun if for one month 3D animators had to create their own models, i wonder how they would fare in relation to 2D animators then wink

#13 05-03-2016 6:14 pm

Easy619
Productive!

tartarstudio wrote:

it would be fun if for one month 3D animators had to create their own models, i wonder how they would fare in relation to 2D animators then wink

Modeling and rigging a character to the point of being able to animate at a cartoony level takes forever lol. Especially if you want a disneyish looking style character.

#14 05-14-2016 5:44 pm

Blond

Well, 2d is higher but only when it's well done. Sometimes, we have feature film traditionnal level going on here.

http://www.11secondclub.com/animations/watch/popular

Just look at those from mr. Crawford. Timeless.

Board footer