#1 05-01-2016 10:44 pm

MotherFU

Admin threatened to delete my post so I beat them to it

I don't understand why everyone here has such thin skin. They rip your work to pieces and when you disagree with them they get upset and post 500/page novels as reply. How ridiculous is that? Criticism goes both ways. If you're gonna criticize one's work be prepared to get an answer. They used to allow responses under entry comments but they stopped that.

Last edited by MotherFU (05-01-2016 10:45 pm)

#2 05-01-2016 10:56 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

Re: Admin threatened to delete my post so I beat them to it

I think the problem may have been the rude remarks you made on your first post then those that followed.

Putting that aside, good luck with your future work. Though warning, the advice I gave before still stands. If you want to focus on building games, good for you. I cannot code and admire those who have taken the patience and effort to learn, But on a character animation site, such as this, you need to improve your animation fundamentals for your ideas to be expressed better. Otherwise, you may be met with the same criticism.

Last edited by thelittlepenguin84 (05-01-2016 10:57 pm)

#3 05-01-2016 11:03 pm

MotherFU

I don't know what rude remarks you're referring to. We're all adults here, right? We can take a joke? Hopefully. I got many animated clips. This is just one. And compared to the animation in some of the flash games this is Art Babbit. The folks on this site take themselves too seriously and forget that the majority of people you are gonna show work to can't even tell 2d and 3d apart from each other. The world is a tiny bit bigger than this site and this is not the only place to get judged by. But some of the critique is pretty handy, the rest is just gas.

#4 05-01-2016 11:24 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

Its true that some people cannot tell the good from the bad. I don't think my animation supe is one of those. The stronger my work, the easier it becom... no, he'll still kick my butt to be better. But he's a good mentor and wants me to be the best I can be. Alongside, this site has continually helped me to do so. Yes, its members are demanding. Its for this reason that I love that 9 is the highest score so far, achieved by BJ Crawford's beautiful work. Its a clear reminder that there is always room to improve smile

#5 05-01-2016 11:31 pm

MotherFU

@Moderator
Yeah the comments help but sometimes they border on the ridiculous and pompous and those belong to here and here only.
@Eric
The folks I'm talking about are the viewers online and in public. Having the experts' approval and pleasure is good but remember those are not the only people looking at your work. They're a minority. Last year they gave Chappie 31 percent on rottentomatoes, I saw it and I absolutely loved it. I don't care what they give and I still read their reviews sometimes but ultimately I decide for myself as to which movie is good and which is not.

Last edited by MotherFU (05-01-2016 11:55 pm)

#6 05-02-2016 6:40 am

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

I agree some games that do very well, care little for animation principles. Mind craft drives me nuts, but my little brothers love it. Your animation maybe valued by other communities, but you are on a site for character animation. I believe in its community.

However harsh and pompous it may seem to you, I still stand by my ranking of 2 stars for the reasons I gave. I also advised how you may strengthen this, but you said you had little time or interest in doing so.

How you choose to go forward is up to you.

#7 05-02-2016 7:36 am

MotherFU

I've seen entries worse than mine that got 4, 5 stars. If you think it's 2 stars. then it's 2 stars to you(can't vote on it though wink). DonMarks raised a good point about the parts moving separate from each other. I changed the color on the arms and legs to the body's, and made the muzzle the same color as the face. And it made it look more whole and one piece and less segmented. Some good came from all the blabber after all. So thanks.

Last edited by MotherFU (05-02-2016 7:55 am)

#8 05-02-2016 9:05 am

Stina
Celebrity
Karmojo: 63

MotherFU wrote:

I don't understand why everyone here has such thin skin. They rip your work to pieces and when you disagree with them they get upset and post 500/page novels as reply. How ridiculous is that? Criticism goes both ways. If you're gonna criticize one's work be prepared to get an answer. They used to allow responses under entry comments but they stopped that.

I welcome you to read the other threads on this forum. You might see that you're not the only one here who gets their work torn apart by other animators. I've written much longer and detailed feedback to other animators for example. The difference is that they answered with "thank you", and/or if they disagreed, did so without insulting me. It's not a fight about who's right and wrong, it's a conversation.

You got a lot of great feedback, but for some reason you see it as an opportunity to behave like a bully and belittle the people giving you feedback. It's up to you what feedback you want to listen to and not, you're absolutely welcome to ignore all of it! No one's going to upset about that. But you aren't writing funny jokes in response, you're being rude. Treat others the way you want to be treated - it's worked very well for me so far.

Stuff I made: www.stinaboberg.com
Days gone without mentioning knees: Not many.

#9 05-02-2016 8:40 pm

MotherFU

Relax. Take a deep breath. Feedback aka criticism is good. I am good. You're good. We're all good. It's all good.

Last edited by MotherFU (05-02-2016 8:42 pm)

#10 05-03-2016 11:44 am

KyleG
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 38

FYI - I've been an animator in the industry for 10 years - and if this bothers you you're in for a long haul

Many (I mean maannnyy) of the projects I've worked on involved Directors/Clients that knew 0 about animation. And they would recommend things I knew was not 100% right - but in the end, they are the one with the vision/paying the bills. I am a tool for creating their vision. If you get defensive/fight every comment that comes your way - you'll be out of the job fast

Everyone has different opinions, and when you post your work online you are going to get a lot of different opinions - some you agree with, some you will not. If you are working on a personal piece where you are the "Director" it's up to you to decide which critiques you will take into consideration and which you will not. But, don't put anyone down for giving you a critique - whether you like it or not.

Kyle Kenworthy
My Blog
My Class

#11 05-03-2016 1:48 pm

RyanHagen
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

I believe maturity and respect become a factor at some point.  I didn't see the "thread you beat moderators to", or really have no frame of reference to go from.  But i've simply found the best answer to any criticism as it relates to your animation is.....thanks!

Ryan
Animator
"Frustration is the handmaiden of creativity" ~ Chuck Jones

#12 05-03-2016 8:02 pm

DonMarks

Need to stop feeding these threads, attention will only make the monster grow. Sadly there isn't a lot of reason going on with this member. He explained that he has posted earlier under several accounts, which leads me to beleive that there were several kicks/bans. Why are we allowing this a vote? So much anger towards everybody it seems. can't be good for the community.

#13 05-03-2016 9:15 pm

MotherFU

@DonMarks
Your point about all the parts moving separately from each other helped a little bit. I changed the arms and legs to the body's color and made the muzzle the same color as the face. Not a bad idea man. Don't worry about the community. You're reading too much into this dude. Just keep on posting and sharpen up. wink

#14 05-03-2016 9:18 pm

DonMarks

Hah, there we go man. Now that's the attitude Mother!

Last edited by DonMarks (05-03-2016 9:18 pm)

#15 05-03-2016 9:25 pm

MotherFU

I saw your reel. Not bad. Pretty impressive. You seem to do everything. I really liked the toonboom clip. Very nice. What language was that last clip? Russian?

Last edited by MotherFU (05-03-2016 9:31 pm)

#16 05-03-2016 9:32 pm

DonMarks

Thanks for the kind words Mother. Haha, yeah that's Czech. Tough to do lip sync in a language you have no clue how to speak.

Also...  @thelittlepenguin84

thelittlepenguin84 wrote:

Its true that some people cannot tell the good from the bad. I don't think my animation supe is one of those. The stronger my work, the easier it becom... no, he'll still kick my butt to be better. But he's a good mentor and wants me to be the best I can be. Alongside, this site has continually helped me to do so. Yes, its members are demanding. Its for this reason that I love that 9 is the highest score so far, achieved by BJ Crawford's beautiful work. Its a clear reminder that there is always room to improve smile

Thanks for posting that. I had to go searching for him on the forum and I wasn't aware that all 3 of my favorite 2D animations here were all done by the same animator on this site, and that he's literally won every competition he's entered. Lifegoals, holy cow.     http://www.11secondclub.com/users/profile/20238

#17 05-03-2016 9:33 pm

thelittlepenguin84
Upright Citizen

BJ Crawford did not produce my favourite animation on his site. that belongs to Andrew Chesworth! smile

#18 05-03-2016 9:37 pm

MotherFU

@DonMarks
They had a dialogue in Hindi or something a while ago, right here. Like years ago. I had no clue what to do with it. I would have needed a translation to understand what he was saying first. The number of entries for that month dropped by 60 percent at least.

Last edited by MotherFU (05-03-2016 9:39 pm)

#19 05-03-2016 9:37 pm

DonMarks

Hah, yet another artist who refuses to get 2nd place or worse when entering. Good lord. I assume the favorite is the Attitude problem clip? Both are amazing. I think the acting is way more subtle in that one.

#20 05-03-2016 9:46 pm

Dr. Robot

MotherFU wrote:

@DonMarks
They had a dialogue in Hindi or something a while ago, right here. Like years ago. I had no clue what to do with it. I would have needed a translation to understand what he was saying first. The number of entries for that month dropped by 60 percent at least.

The 2nd place entry from that month is my favorite animation on here tongue

http://www.11secondclub.com/competition … try/ZEfp9X

Last edited by Dr. Robot (05-03-2016 9:47 pm)

#21 05-03-2016 9:51 pm

MotherFU

That's one of my all time favorites too. It's so random. All that stuff he pulls out of his coat. So wonderfully done. I wonder if it's in line with the meaning of the words.

#22 05-03-2016 10:02 pm

DonMarks

HAHA never saw this one. I'm dying right now. I love the paddle-ball game he pulls out... and a calculator... what the everloving carp... Love it... great sense of humor.

Board footer