#1 03-31-2016 6:30 pm

Fr0stByte

FACE ANIMATION PRACTICE?

Hi All,

I've been animating and self-teaching myself for about 4-5 months (working a 9-5 at the same time) so its difficult finding time to animate but I make time. I've read both Maya textbooks (beginner and mastering) cover to cover, and I'm almost done a rigging book called "rig it right" I purchased "the animator survival kit" and "illusion of life" all to help me teach myself as I cannot afford to go back to school. My crappy animation vids of practice: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxtAsa … mhQp_FHmNQ

My Question: I really want to enter the April competition and hopefully make it into the top 100 at least, but I'm struggling to find any material specifically for face-animation techniques and would love to know how you guys got so good at lip syncing and how do YOU get better?..

#2 03-31-2016 7:34 pm

TobiasE

Re: FACE ANIMATION PRACTICE?

Just a heads up, i tried myself to enter a competition one month way before I really knew anything about animation. It ended up beeing a huge struggle and i almost stopped animating. So i will recomend doing som more body mechanics and get  proper weight to the animation. then start working on facial acting.
Ofc everyone is different, but i know everyone can agree that spending a lot of work on one project and it turn out carp, that not fun. Get better at the animation basic and all your work will imrpov and it will be much more fun aswell in the long run.

#3 03-31-2016 7:52 pm

TobiasE

I have one vid i really find inspring, it's extremely advanced though. But i still find it amazing, like a goal to one day be that good
https://vimeo.com/150556545

#4 03-31-2016 11:56 pm

Fr0stByte

great advice! I appreciate it and I look forward to giving it a shot but hey, im new, its probably going to suck but thanks for the tips and I'll try my best

#5 04-01-2016 11:04 am

tartarstudio

There is a book called: "Stop Staring: Facial Modeling and Animation Done Right" I remember coming across and I believe was mentioned in one of Eric's video above. I only skimmed through it as I am a 2D guy and the book at a first glance seemed to be made with a focus on 3D animation, so i can't confidently recommend it, but take it a lot at it, read the reviews and of course let us know how you found the book wink
best of luck this month, I am considering entering as well.

Board footer