#1 02-15-2016 3:17 pm

TaiBo
Productive!

Old entries working with Chrome?

Is it possible for the site to fix the issue with chrome playback? Any entries more than than a couple years old won't play in chrome and I have to switch to firefox. It's not the biggest issue but it's been years and it gets kind of old for me.

Is anybody else having this issue and can it be fixed?

#2 02-25-2016 9:30 pm

TaiBo
Productive!

Re: Old entries working with Chrome?

Any word on this?

#3 02-25-2016 11:03 pm

tartarstudio

i am having the same issue.

#4 02-25-2016 11:32 pm

arcrow

I'm having the same issue even in Firefox. >_<

#5 03-01-2016 8:22 pm

TaiBo
Productive!

I realize I should have put this thread on "site problems" to begin with, whoops!

Is there any update on this?

#6 03-06-2016 3:06 am

RKMaroon
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

Wow, there really is a problem. Being an avid Firefox user I haven't noticed.

Ok, it seems that the mvc codec doesn't render on Chrome (the mp4a audio is playing though), but the open-source Theora ogv file is playing just fine. Also, and that's a simple way to fix the problem, order matters: Chrome can't seem to choose wisely on its own so it picks the first source that is suggested to it, which unfortunately is the problematic mov file.
So, this is for the Admins: in order to fix it, just swap the <source> order within the <video> tag, placing the ogv one at the top.

In the meantime, you can force the ogv source using javascript:
On an old entry page, hit F12 to bring up the developer tools panel, switch to the Console tab and paste the followind code:

Code:

(function($){var vs=$('source[type*=video/ogg]')[0].src;$('video').attr('src',vs);})(jQuery)

Hit enter to execute.
this will do the trick as long as you don't refresh the page. Unfortunately you'll have to run that procedure for every old entry you wish to watch.

You can however create a "speed-dialer" by fashioning a bookmarklet: just hit ctrl+d to bookmark that page, this will add a button on your bookmarks bar. Right-click this button and choose Edit...
On the "Name" field you can change it to something like "11sec fix". Clear the "URL" field and paste this instead:

Code:

javascript:(function($){var vs=$('source[type*=video/ogg]')[0].src;$('video').attr('src',vs);})(jQuery)

Click OK for the changes to be saved. Now the bookmark button no longer navigates to a URL but simply runs the javascript code that fix the video source.

Last edited by RKMaroon (03-06-2016 3:15 am)

#7 03-06-2016 4:50 am

arcrow

Thank you so much for that, RKMaroon! Now I can happily watch the old ones. : D

Last edited by arcrow (03-06-2016 4:51 am)

#8 03-06-2016 8:17 pm

RKMaroon
Celebrity
Karmojo: 66

Great! Glad I could help.
Indeed, I now see that several of the older vids fail to play on Firefox as well (and also Opera). This problem probably dates back to the pre-HTML5 days, where they relied on the Quicktime plugin, and so even the older mp4 files are really containers for MPEG-4 Visual encoded videos, and not h.264 that plays natively in ALL latest browsers, Internet Explorer included.
The ogv format never seem to fail and so it'll be best to prioritize it in the source list, it'll solve most of the problem (but not IE's). The extra mile of course would be to re-encode all the oldies to h.264, but that's a lot of work.

#9 03-22-2016 3:06 pm

TaiBo
Productive!

Thank you RKMaroon!

Is there any update from the admins on fixing this issue?

Board footer