#1 08-06-2008 10:20 am

luv2animate
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 50

Hi,I will start my Thread with some questions(as usual),please help...

Hey Everybody,
This time I want to approach the competition properly...I am now planning the poses but I need some help in setting up the Preferences...Especially that of animation n timeline..
Like in Animation preferences...
1.what is rotation Interpolation?
2.tangent
3.Animation Blending...
I want to know how this things affect my animation...

In Timeline
1.what is keyticks and option(timecode and snapping)
2. my playback speed is Real time (30fps) but still in the previous one many has complained that my playback speed is slow..How I m to fix that..if I m changing that to 24 the sound track is getting affected...
What I m suppose to do...

and another one...I have asked it in my WIP thread of July n havn't got any answer...I want some tutorials on graph editor...please please help...I need them urgently so that I can go through the tutorial and still can finish the work....

Thanx.

HappY AnimTinG

"Stressed" sad when read backward is "Desserts"smile

#2 08-06-2008 1:58 pm

kstrev
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 33

Re: Hi,I will start my Thread with some questions(as usual),please help...

Hi luv2 animate - good job with your last animation.

concerning your questions:

1. Rotation interpolation has to do with the way the computer understands the rotation of a given object. This are probably mathematical models. So there are 2 types Euler and Quaternion. The effect of switching from one mode to another affects the way we can manipulate the curves in the curve editor. For example Euler rotations are represented with curves that connect dots (in our case each keyframe) with one handle on each side of the point. These handles are called tangents (question 2) . Again I think "tangent" is a mathematical term. Quaternion on the other hand, does not work with tangents but instead it gives 4-5 variables which you manipulate and you get the same result, at least this is what happens in 3ds Max - never used quaternion in Maya. In general it seems more intuitive to use Euler rotations, since by manipulating these tangents you can get an instant visual effect of your curves. The only problem that occurs with Euler rotations is the gimbal effect.  This is when two axis come parallel to each other, and so its like limiting your self to 2 axis instead of 3. Now in order to understand this you have to go and change the rotational settings from "Local to Gimbal". The local rotations are not the real axis of an object, as far as what the computer calculates in order to rotate an object. What the computer sees and calculates is the Gimbal axis. If you change the rotational settings to Gimbal and individually rotate the Y axis you'll see that the X and Z axis become parallel. Moreover, what we see in the curve editor is the Gimbal axis and not the local ones. So when you naimte in Local rotations you never see the axis breaking, but sometimes when you go to spline your animation, the effect is that some of the objects may flip for 1 or 2 frames (between keyframes). There is an option in the curve editor, which is called Euler filter (i think). This will try to find an interpolation between 2 keyframes that will make your animation not to flip. (probably though, the curves won't make any sense, but still the transition its going to be smooth - this doesn't mean that the spacing is going to be allright!) So some times when you get these random flips - normally in hands or FK arms) you may have to go in each frame and put a value there in order to get the prefered spacing-timing).

2. About the tangents: there are 3 major types of tangents in each software - stepped, linear and spline curves. The first type is similar to what happens in 2d animation. This means that there is a drawing on frame 1 and it doesnt change until you put another drawing on Frame lets say 10. So you get the same pose for 9 frames and then it changes in 1 frame. In other words the computer does not calculate any inbetweens. Thsi type of tangents is used normally for the initial blocking phase of the animation, where you wanna see just your key-golden and breakdown poses, and you don't care about the inbetweens. There are animators with 2d backgrounds, that may use only this approach. Linear, as the word says is when the computer interpolates the spacing between two keyframes in a linear fashion. This means that it doesnt accelerate or descelerate the object, between 2 frames. This type of timing is more of a robitic one and is something that we as animators want to avoid. This doesnt mean that nobody uses ut. Sometimes before you start splining your animation from stepped mode is preferable to go linear put some extra keyframes and progressively go to splines. Keith Lango is a brilliant animator who explains best this approach. Now for the third mode "spline", Maya has 3 or 4 different types. play around with it and see the differences between these modes. Normally, when I start an animation I have thes option to "in - clamped" and "out - stepped". This is the configuration for stepped mode. As I progresse the animtion I may change that to plateu or flat. Normally, I tick the weighted tangets as well. This option gives you the ability to not only swing around the tangent but move it, which of course will affect the shape of the curve between 2 keyframes. Importamt note: when you want to translate one side of a tangent, you need to go to menu in the curve editor, under Curves and at the bottom click weighted tangents (in case you did not tick it in the animation settings), then under Keys you can click Free Tangent Weight and Break Tangents. Click on them and see how differently the tangents respond.

Here are some tutorials by pixar's animator Victore Navone explaining some features of teh curve editor.

http://www.navone.org/HTML/Tutorial_Splines1.htm

http://www.navone.org/HTML/Tutorial_Splines2.htm

3. Im not familiar with what this option does at the moment. I normally click the radio button which says "Never blend with existing connections", and I never had a problem.

TIMELINE:

1. Keyticks are these red bars that appear on the timeline every time you put a key on an object. When you havent selected anything nothing appears on the timeline. When you click on an object and the "Dispaly Key ticks" is active, youll see all the keyframes (for each variable on the chanel box). If you click "None", even if you select something, you will see no keyframes on the timeline. The "From channel box" option gives you the option to see the keyframes only in the selected channels of the object. For example if you have keyframes for the translation and the rotations of an object, and you wanna see just the rotation keys for that object on the timeline, activate this option and click on the object and then click in the channel box the specific attibute you wanna see. (hope that makes sense!)

2. teh Playback speed refers to speed that it plays within your viewport, when you press play. If you put this to real-time 24fps, the computer will try to play at that speed but as things are getting heavier (a lot of keyframes), it will even skip some frames to play at that speed. This is the option you normally wanna play your animation. Off course you can play it at half speed or double the speed - never really use that. the last option "Play every frame" will show you every frame but it wont be the actual speed. In general when you see your animation to play slow - or skip frames in your viewport, it means that you need to start playblasting your animation in order to see the actual speed. A note here, concerning the frame rate. Most frequently, we use a 24 fps and not a 30 or 25 (these being the most common ones for television). It is preferable to use a 24 film fps, just because feature animation is at that rate, and it might be easier for you when you reference an old cartoon since these used to be at 12 frames.

The duration of the audio clip is not going to change (in seconds) whatever frame rate you are going to use. Just have in mind that when you start to animate at a certain frame rate, lets say a stride on a "vanilla" walk takes 12 frames, this is in 24 fps, so when you animate for TV you may have to readjust that for the certain fps.

Wow , that was a big answer smile - As far as the tutorials - I think the ones suggested above are really nice to start with, but if you mean how each button or feature works you can allways look in the help text, which is really helpful. Take care love2animate and goodluck with your next animation. If you have some more questions put them up! Im curently an AM student so I don't have the time to participate in these competitions, but when I finish my course Ill definitely would like to be part of it.

#3 08-07-2008 7:47 am

luv2animate
Model Citizen

hey kstrev ,
thanku thanku soo much...I was looking for this soo long....I will do my best...

HappY AnimTinG

#4 08-07-2008 4:40 pm

KISHORE
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 37

@ kstrev

wow man i like the whole explanation you did and its great

wot i really want to thank about is the key tiks i always wanted to check the individual attribute keys on time line but as all attributes are visible it looked like a hell to find out which key belongs to which attr

lov 2 animate the questions were cool and ans were teriviky

all the best for your animation

KEEP MOVING FORWARD --- Walt Disney

SKI

#5 08-08-2008 8:09 am

SebT
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 34

hey luv,

i recently found a really awesome tut on the graph editor and how to deal with it, made by victor navone.
I recommand you to check it and all the super tutorials he made smile

http://www.navone.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm

concernning the graph editor it's the one called splinophilia 1&2

hope it will help you smile

#6 08-08-2008 2:55 pm

luv2animate
Model Citizen

Thanx a lot SebT,
I will check it ....will update my animation soon.....will try my best...

HappY AnimTinG

#7 08-18-2008 1:30 pm

luv2animate
Model Citizen

I am late i know but still trying hard to finish...I have animated this much only but facing a problem..its happening too slow..I have tried to minimise the space between keys but still not helping much...can anyone syggest how I shud manipulate the graph editor to make it more snapping??

Direct Link

thanx.

HappY AnimTinG

#8 08-18-2008 2:37 pm

F-star
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 35

Hey, it starts off great! Then from the second "kosa" it all goes a bit slow.  If you think some fancy tricks in the graph editor are going to magically make your animation snappier, I have sour news for you... not gona help!  You can spend hours apon hours pulling and tweaking tangents untill you happen to do something that looks allright, but this is not animating.  The answer is to leave as little as possible up to the computer to decide.  It's just a dumb computer, what does it know about animation? wink Sure it can plot the movement of something from point A to point B, but it won't give you ANY flavour to that move, it will be dull and bland.  You have to give the computer as much information as you can before you hit spline and expect everything to happen just as you imagine it should.  One of the gems I have recently descovered through the wonderous teachings of my animtaion guru Keith Lango is this:  if it looks good linear, it'll look great in spline... spend some more time in linear telling the computer what YOU want the animation to look like (key eases, settles, overshoots, holds etc.) and your spline cleanup will go ten times as fast!  Trust me, this really works.
Hope this helps!

Keep at it, this has potential!
Have fun - Andr

#9 08-18-2008 3:53 pm

msferoz85
Tipster
Karmojo: 21

Well, I was just about to write what I thought could be done, but F-star hasn't left much to be said. The linear thingie is a great tip. Thanks for that, F-star! I'll try incorporating it in my future animations. big_smile

Yes, that's right. We need to leave as little to the computer as possible. (Darn it, I know that theoretically, but I keep slacking off, leaving my animations looking spliney! neutral ). Anyway, I heard that one being emphasized by Jeff Lew too. But yes, that Linear curves tip was great. Thanks again!

luv2animate, best of luck for the fixes. (And yeah, thanks for the great critique you did on my WIP! smile )

Last edited by msferoz85 (08-18-2008 3:55 pm)

#10 08-19-2008 8:17 am

luv2animate
Model Citizen

thanks msferoz85 and F-star ,
I will try my best...thanks a lot for your help....

Nowadays something is bothering me much n I m a bit worried about it....I m not sure if this is common to all or happening to me only...

I really love animation and njoy it ...as a newbie and sitting at home trying to do what I m thinking is a struggle all through...May be sometimes I try to do things out of my ability...but the bad thing is sometimes in frustation,I jus don't feel like animating...few days I jus don't swtch on my laptop....does it happen to all or I m getting too much stressed???
I m pursuing animation as my career seriously and at that time I feel like this is not for me....though that is short lived and I fight back to my usual self..but it is bothering me a lot.....

Have anyone of u gone through this??

Last edited by luv2animate (08-19-2008 8:18 am)

HappY AnimTinG

#11 08-19-2008 9:25 am

F-star
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 35

Don't be stressed! Remember the desserts that await you! wink
I think we all go through stages of self-doubt some time or another,
just hang in there, be patient, animation is a learning process weather you're a pro
or just starting out - isn't that exciting?  Sometimes it's good to take a break and recharge your 'animation batteries'.
Go do something that takes your mind off things. For me it's skating or surfing. Then when I get back to my computer
I'm inspired and ready to animate.  Afterall you luv2animate don't you? Go for it!

#12 08-25-2008 9:36 am

franko
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 45

Hi Luv

It's normal to realise that animation is not all consuming and a definition of your 'self', of you. Even though it seems that lots of people live and breathe animation, they'll actually never be great animators. Their life experience will be too narrow. If you are going to bring life into an animated world, it's good to know a bit about what life is actually about. And it's not all about sitting at a computer staring at the colourful spaghetti of the graph editor. Which brings us to cooking. F-star is correct, your animation will improve if you cook a fine meal, catch a nice wave, plant a vegetable garden. But don't forget to keep animating. Definitely, this is important, time away from animating should inspire you to want to animate more, it is not well spent thinking about animating and not animating, or not being at the beach, or not creating an awesome meal, or not playing Vivaldi to your sunflowers.

As a student sometimes I get so bogged down in the 3D software that i stop having fun. So I also switch off the computer. But what I do instead is go to my light box and feel the love of pencil on paper, and flipping pages. I get stuck in solving the performance on paper using the basic things I am slowly learning and before I know it I'm back at the computer hurrying to get the line test from paper into the background, on an image plane, for my 3D animating (like the Jason Ryan tutorials - so let's see, you've got tutes from: Victor Navone and Jason Ryan to look at, so you're in pretty good hands). The graph editor is our friend but a lot of the performance can be animated for timing and spacing and poses before messing with the splines.

Solve the performance on paper, if the 'on' switch of the computer is too daunting. It's always fun to draw.

Last edited by franko (08-25-2008 9:46 am)

#13 08-25-2008 9:57 am

franko
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 45

That's quite a nicely timed strong pose you have actually got happening at the start and it would be nice to see the character hit his gestures and poses with a similar rhythm. I love how Spanish is so rhythmic a language. When he puts his right hand on top of the left consider using similar spacing as that first nicely timed gesture as a starting point.

#14 02-07-2013 10:42 pm

akrem

hi I'm new to the site this is the first faith that I participate in the contest for the eleven secondclub work in progress.
  es need to upload my video on youtube.
  I have another question regarding final animation I upload my video to the site and want to know when I will be allowed to vote and have comments from other members to assess my level animation and thank you for everything

Board footer