#1 08-17-2013 4:14 am

godofiron

Animation Mentor or Digital tutors?

I currently live in the UK and I want to learn animation and modelling. currently the only choices I have are animation mentor (which I'm not sure I have the funds for) and Digital tutors, which was suggested to me by a friend.

In animation mentor, I was planning on taking the maya workshop first, then moving onto animation fundamentals in january next year. I'm wondering if the Maya workshop is worth the money, or If I should look at tutorials on digital tutor.

As a complete newbie in the animation field, which site do you recommend I join? what would my best course of action be?

"we who are of noble blood may not follow the wishes of our hearts"

#2 08-17-2013 9:05 am

godofiron

Re: Animation Mentor or Digital tutors?

"as a complete newbie, I recommend digital tutors first because for animation mentor, I think your suppose to already know how to animate and use the program before entering.
also because its much cheaper which is good for complete beginner.
You can join Animation Mentor later on once you learn all the tutorials and have enough experience."

Really?
I assumed the Maya workshop/springboard classes at AM would teach me the absolute basics of how to navigate through and use Maya, before the actual animation fundamentals course....

#3 08-17-2013 12:39 pm

AGoodFella

I'm sure AM's fundamentals course will get you up and running with Maya in no time. Besides, learning Maya isn't that difficult, learning the techniques, theory and processes behind the art is what takes time.

Last edited by RockstarGamesRocks (08-17-2013 12:39 pm)

#4 08-18-2013 2:33 am

rdchan
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 44

Yeah AM has a fundamentals course to teach you the basics of Maya.  But even then, I would recommend Digital Tutors first.  I would suggest AM if you're really serious about learning feature level animation ONLY and that is your ultimate goal.  But since you're wanting to learn more about modeling and stuff, DT might be a better way to go.  Besides, it's a LOT cheaper than AM, which seems to be a concern for you.  So that would be my suggestion just to get your feet wet, get comfortable with the software, and try learning on your own before you dive into a school like AM.  Who knows.  You might not even like animation that much.  You might be super talented already and can find an animation path on your own without AM, or get to a point where you get good enough where you can land a job and learn ON the job, instead of for it... or maybe take supplemental workshops from schools like animschool or ianimate, which will still be cheaper and from what I here are really good too.  AM and DT aren't your only 2 options here, so I wouldn't necessarily run straight for AM's arms because it's not always the best option.  Your path is ultimately in your hands.  I've seen animators come out of far worse schools for animation than AM, and produce better reels and land better jobs than AM students, because they work for their own education, not the only way around.

Also, how only are you if you don't mind me asking, and what is your ultimate goal for your career?  You want to work for VFX houses like ILM or Framestore (droppin' a UK company for ya wink)?  Or more feature animation like Pixar and Dreamworks?  Do you want to get into video games?

I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. - Walt Disney

#5 08-18-2013 3:05 am

godofiron

Aaaaah, I see, I see. Thanks for repping the UK!
My ultimate goal is to work in feature animation, really - cartoons, and movies. Getting into video games would be nice as well, but I've heard from a couple of places that it's pretty different from animating for movies so I'm probably biting off more than I can chew.

I mean, I've drawn cartoon characters most of my life, and really, I'd just like to make them move and talk as well, you know? that's why I wanted to learn both animation and modelling. IF possible.

yeah to be honest, I'm not entirely sure how good AM would be for me (especially with that price tag), but I heard all the glowing recommendations on the net, then again a friend who studied animation suggested DT and I just really don't know what to choose. I want to get the best info I can about the industry - not just the animation, but the making connections, how to break into the industry, how to make a killer demo reel, who's who in the animation world, what not to say to piss other animators off... I'm basically just a hatchling artist.

All my current artistic abilities have been self taught, and I just don't know if I'm on the right path, if that makes any sense...? I just want to make the best moves possible and that's my current dilemma.

#6 08-18-2013 11:16 am

doffer
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 46

You could also consider a real, physical school. That is still the very best I think. Of course depending on your school, but you get to know people in a much more real way. And you develop a strong network of future colleagues.

I know Bournemouth have a school. Perhaps that is worth looking into?

Christoffer Andersen - www.doffer.dk
Animator

#7 08-18-2013 11:22 am

godofiron

Real school is way too expensive for me right now, not to mention accommodation, transport etc. - just finished a degree in computer science. And funnily enough, I DID apply to Bournemouth, but I got rejected.

The interviewer told me that he liked my work, but I lacked confidence in draftmanship. He told me that a bit more time practising and studying art would give me the results they need.

I would have actually gone ahead with that plan, but I've wasted too much time already, doing a course I wasn't even passionate about. Hence my deciding to go the online route.

My problem now, is deciding the way I want to learn the ropes, really.

Last edited by godofiron (08-18-2013 11:24 am)

#8 08-19-2013 3:40 am

ajfrank
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 35

I vote youtube

"If You Stay Ready, You Don't Have To Waste The Time Getting Ready"
Will Smith

My website: www.ajfrank3d.com

#9 08-19-2013 5:53 am

figdigital

Speaking as someone who took AM's intro to Maya course, I'd do Digital Tutors.

You really do need to be up to speed with the basics of Maya before starting any online animation school, and in retrospect there's a lot more value for just learning the software with something like Digital Tutors or a few good books.

#10 08-26-2013 9:43 pm

Larry_g1s
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 55

You could also purchase Jason Ryan's Maya: Back 2 Basics series where he cover Maya from a strictly animation purpose: http://jasonryananimation.com/webinars/ … ies-3.html

Always learning. big_smile

Board footer