#576 07-10-2008 12:47 pm

franko
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 45

Re: I have a couple of questions for you all?

Jason would you ever plan to do a webinar?

#577 07-10-2008 12:50 pm

chakri
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 32

Yep...it will be Great!!!!!

#578 07-10-2008 12:59 pm

daniel_huertas
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 47

I think this whole thread is a nice "webinar" already... almost all the questions we have.. Jason is right there giving feedback smile

#579 07-10-2008 1:30 pm

franko
Upright Citizen

But we don't get the encouragement of the uplifting Irish lilt.

#580 07-10-2008 5:14 pm

JasonRyanAnimation.com

Ha ha, a webinar sounds great....how do you go about it?

#581 07-10-2008 5:31 pm

chakri
Upstanding Citizen

that sounds technical to organize webinar.any talented person here ...who can suggest.we can request Bobby but Webinar is for AM staff only i think.so what to do guys????

#582 07-10-2008 5:43 pm

Kaidonni
Helper
Karmojo: 16

Hmmm...well, a random idea popped up in my mind, if I may - perhaps MSN or YIM or something like that? Is it possible, also, to set up microphones, etc, over that? I mean, some of us, me included, might not be able to speak into a microphone, only type, but we could hear other people, including Jason, who might have access to the right equipment. A nice mix of the two, so many could participate and not be limited by technology? Just a random idea, of course, but it might lead us somewhere.

The greatest story known to mankind:
Algy met a bear. The bear was bulgy. The bulgy was Algy.

#583 07-10-2008 5:50 pm

JasonRyanAnimation.com

I'm game.....J

#584 07-10-2008 6:02 pm

DanCe3d
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 52

that would be awsome... so how will this start

Strive beyond the obvious... there you will find ART.

www.angelostacatalina.blogspot.com

#585 07-10-2008 6:07 pm

daniel_huertas
Upright Citizen

uhmm i will try to look up the way smile for the webinars they use Microsoft Live Meeting.. wich is a free software that we could use.. but dunno yet how to set up a meeting.. you guys could also take a look ..  cuz jason could show some nice stuff there.. notes... video..even draw some flipbook stuff in the screen... it would be an hour of greatness smile

#586 07-10-2008 6:47 pm

TheGoozer
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 36

Live Meeting free? Nope, as far as I know you have to pay a monthly fee... And it isn't availble for all countries.
Btw, about MSN... If you use microphones and chat I think you will have a lot off lag.
As far as I know Skype is better for such meetings. You can chat, speak and webcam to. Well it should be great if
Jason should be the only one using a webcam so everyone can see Jason and he can show us stuff. Then we only have
to create a sort off system where everyone can ask questions without rushing are talking/chatting 5 messages per second,
if you understand what I mean.
And it's free wink

Isn't your life a storyboard?

#587 07-10-2008 7:04 pm

JasonRyanAnimation.com

Skype, is not that reliable, I've had issues with lag just talking to one person nevermind a webinar.
What about the framegrabbers?  I think there's a max of 24 people though, I just did one for them about a month ago for
some work on Chicken Little.  it was pretty cool.

Best......J

#588 07-10-2008 7:23 pm

daniel_huertas
Upright Citizen

I am in! smile

#589 07-10-2008 7:38 pm

rsowiak
Tipster
Karmojo: 29

that would be really cool Jason!

#590 07-10-2008 8:18 pm

Kaidonni
Helper

Framegrabbers? Never heard of that (but it'd sure be great to participate in a webinar of sorts).

#591 07-10-2008 8:43 pm

TheGoozer
Upstanding Citizen

Yeah Skype has problems to. But didn't had problems myself.
Never heard off framegrabbers to. I searched it up and they are devices?
And expensive ones... 200$....
And how can you use the for a webinair... Please explain your goal :s.

If it is possible I'm in to. I don't care if it is 4 am here in Belgium smile.

Last edited by TheGoozer (07-10-2008 8:46 pm)

#592 07-10-2008 8:49 pm

Kaidonni
Helper

Hmmm...now you mention it, I think Jason was referring to something he could use during a webinar, to show his work. Like Rostrom (sp?) cameras?

#593 07-10-2008 9:06 pm

TheGoozer
Upstanding Citizen

I was thinking the same thing... But then we have the other problem. Which software do we use...? And if Jason will use a framegrabber, then I hope the software will fully exploit the ability off the device.
Well, it's not easy... But we'll get out off it. As long as Jason want's to do a webinair, we'll find a solution to these problems. I hope smile

Last edited by TheGoozer (07-10-2008 9:07 pm)

#594 07-10-2008 9:39 pm

eric s
Administrator
Karmojo: 26
Administrator

Hey y'all-- just caught the past few posts here.   I wanted to clear up about the FrameGrabbers.   FrameGrabbers is an occasional club that Jason was recently a guest at.   It's held at FlashMeeting.com, but as Jason said it is limited to 25 people per room, and so might not be the best solution for setting up a wide meeting like this.

As a matter of fact, I know that AnimationMentor went through a significant amount of research and development to put together their own tool that could host a large amount of participants in a video conference.   I don't know that there are many tools out there that can handle that kind of server load.   Hopefully someone will find one, though, because it sounds like Jason is wide-eyed, bushy-tailed, and ready to go.   And it would be sure to be a treat for anyone in attendance.

Just to clear up the FrameGrabbers thing, though: the online club took the name from the hardware that you have been referring to.  A FrameGrabber, or Video Lunchbox, is a hardware tool mostly used by stop-motion animators.  It is able to capture the frames of animation that the camera sees in front of it so the animator can have a real-time playback of all of the previous frames while animating.   It is a huge help, and has done a lot for advancing the quality of stop-motion animation in the past 15 years.   However, I don't think it would have any application at all in a web conference.   smile

The world is full of diamonds; go out and find them.

#595 07-10-2008 9:59 pm

schtroumpfes
Tipster
Karmojo: 27

And if you make a webinar it would be cool to record it so the people that wouldn't be able to attend to it would watch it later

Phil

#596 07-10-2008 10:37 pm

Darkzephyr
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 42

Hey Jason!

I'm glad I found this thread. I'll tell you a little bit about what's giving me trouble right now, for the most part...it's the concept and planning (and it kinda ties into blocking golden poses)

When I initially approached this months' 11 sec club, I just listened to the dialogue and tried to think of a funny scenario and tried to think of the appropriate acting beats and gestures.

But then I saw a few people who had some really detailed and interesting back-stories, personalities and motivations for their characters.

So I did some re-thinking of came up with what I think is an interesting back-story scenario for my main character. However, even though I thought of a new setting and have the characters in a different layout...I still come up with the same basic gestures and acting that I had before.

I also spent about 4 hrs yesterday trying to get the thumbnails of my ideas out onto paper...and I could never get the poses to look quite right. It seemed like ever new set of thumbnails had some flaw that I didn't like. Of course, most of the time I wasn't trying to come up with new ideas...just trying to get the poses out onto paper so they would read more clearly. I almost felt like I was spinning my wheels spending too much time in the planning stage and if it would be better to just go into Maya with the idea I had so far, and let it evolve from there.

So,  I guess I want to know how to enrich your character's performance with a specific backstory and personality and avoid cliche acting or come up with fresh original ideas.  ( because every time I do it...I seem to be stuck in the frame of how I would do it!)

I hope you can understand that.

Last edited by Darkzephyr (07-10-2008 10:39 pm)

#597 07-10-2008 11:40 pm

JasonRyanAnimation.com

I understand exactly what you mean and to a certain extent a lot of what is cliche just means that gesure is overused in animation...not that it's the wrong gesture. 
So gestures that you would do yourself, given the situation may be perfectly acceptable.  Sometimes if I can't come up with a good gesture then using no gesture at all works better, a lot of power can come from a simple head tilt or a look of thought before the character speaks.

Don't over think it, keep it simple......do what feels right.  Anthony Hopkins always said "Acting is not really that difficult as long as you don't make a big fuss about it".....easy for him to say.

Hope this help Mate....J

#598 07-11-2008 1:25 am

franko
Upright Citizen

Clarity. DarkZ. Clarity.

I've got a few comments to test sparked by DarkZ's post.

I've been dissecting some animation with some more experienced animators in the past few days. The aim was to clearly see the motivation of characters. To see if the goal was well communicated in the character's poses and movements .

Many experienced animators describe things as "keeping it simple". The key thing I learnt from my mentors is to strive for clarity. Yes, there usually is a simple motivation (hunger, thirst, avoidance of pain, seeking physical contact) and the character's movement toward achieving that goal should read clearly.

Make the poses and gestures in the thumbnails clear as a starting point, so that they communicate nothing else but the character's clear intention. Get those thumbnails down first. Don't self edit.

To make a clear action, consider there usually is a few moments of thought that occur first. That can be added on after the clear poses are nailed down (to me it seemed the wrong way round - adding the thought after the action, but apparentley, it's a good way to achieve it.)

If the poses tend toward cliche, that's OK. It means that a recognised, clear, message is being communicated. One that so many animators have used that it is getting worn out. It's a step toward creating your own interpretation of the movement.

The next part is exciting, it's when you try to break the cliche using your own personality and experience as an animator, but try to retain the clarity of the character's intention.

Delicious.

This is just some stuff I learned speaking with professional animators. Hope it makes sense. (Probably old news to you all?)

Please, Jason, anyone, feel free to add to my education, if I'm not clear, or plain wrong. Thanks DarkZ for sparking this post.

Cheers

Last edited by franko (07-11-2008 1:30 am)

#599 07-11-2008 1:35 am

franko
Upright Citizen

About the webinar. Any chance of Jason teaming up with the AnimationMentor gurus as a 'guest' speaker for mutual benefit?

#600 07-11-2008 1:44 am

chakri
Upstanding Citizen

Aja may help with this webinar.hey aja could u tell us how to organize a webinar from Jason.
Hey franko i like your site.so much helpful reference and good notes for me.

Last edited by chakri (07-11-2008 1:52 am)

Board footer