#1 08-06-2012 6:59 pm

tallsharpe
Celebrity
Karmojo: 68

WIP Animatic Aug 2012 Comp

Hi everyone, I'm not really a forums kinna guy but I'm giving it a trial smile . Love the Aug 2012 audio and so am taking part in this month's comp. I'm guessing ya paste your video link for others to view so I hope this works. Here's my animatic.

Direct Link

I'll post more progress as I go along. All critiques are welcome and I hope everyone has lots of fun Animating.
Laters!

#2 08-08-2012 7:33 pm

tallsharpe
Celebrity

Re: WIP Animatic Aug 2012 Comp

Updated no 1! Hello all, I'm just posting my 1st record of progress. Blocking in with the 3d character. Open to critiques. Thanks!

Direct Link

#3 08-09-2012 9:06 pm

tallsharpe
Celebrity

I think I was supposed to hit edit for the second submission and not reply. Idk, no matter. Update! Yea, I'm further along with the blocking in. Truthfully I've always focused on making the key frames really strong and organically clean up the inbetween movements to see what I get putting further strong keys inbetween to rally everything together so this method is new and I'm trying it on for size smile .

Direct Link

Enjoy, critiques are always welcome.

#4 08-09-2012 9:30 pm

SvenS

I like it. Don't really get the concept though. Who is he supposed to be? What has he done?

Besides that I think you should go for a more interesting camera angle. Or did you just use this one to show the animation as a wip?

You got some spare time? I would highly appreciate it if you'd visit my website! www.stroomberg-productions.com

#5 08-10-2012 2:26 pm

tallsharpe
Celebrity

Hi SvenS. The audio reminded me if the Dos Equis commercial with the most interesting man in the world. I love at the end he's sitting at a table relaxed and with that moment of introspection he connects with the audience. A glance here, shoulder shrug there. Ultimately his performance grips you by just sheer stage presence. As far as props, lighting and so forth I plan to work that in after. Anything from an old actor drinking and tired after a day of work to a deluded beggar bragging about times that never happened. The subject of his background is open game right now. I was thinking of "Sesame Street" Alistar Cookie background with lots of book, a fireplace and that kinna thing. The details will sell the characters background from the 1st frame before the acting even begins... At least I hope so smile

The camera I was planning to pull in tighter once I really got the performance that I'm looking for gets going. I haven't tried any other angles though 'cause I was hell bent on the Dos Equis feel lol. I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks.

Here is the next update... Enjoy

Direct Link

I've been focusing on the interaction with the glass in his hand. I have another progress video to show soon but working on it seem to push the fact that all the pains of the past and hope for the future is being held in the contents of the glass. To be seen soon. Muah ha ha (Evil Laugh and grin)

#6 08-10-2012 2:59 pm

SvenS

Yeah I think the set will sell the story indeed. Sounds like you got that figured out pretty well. I like the subtle movements. I think you're doing a great job so far!

You got some spare time? I would highly appreciate it if you'd visit my website! www.stroomberg-productions.com

#7 08-13-2012 9:11 pm

tallsharpe
Celebrity

Thanks SvenS, I appreciate it! Here's the latest and last of blocking in. I'm working on it post spline. Lots of cleaning up to do. Enjoy!

Direct Link

#8 08-14-2012 8:24 pm

pollywoggles

I like it so far! 

You might not need the animation at the beginning (before the sound), because it feels a little redundant.  You also might want to hold the poses where he points (it feels like a storytelling pose that is getting lost with the rest of the animation).  When he holds up the glass the right arm bobbles a little, which may make that strong pose feel a little more mushy that it should (especially when you move to spline).

Paul

#9 08-14-2012 9:53 pm

tallsharpe
Celebrity

Thanks pollywoggles!

I think you are right about the pre-audio animation. I wanted his demeanor to set the tone and the initial glance up at the viewer to feel like he has broken out of his daydreaming trance. I think getting to the point earlier will make it stronger. I also like the hold for the hand pointing, that's also a great idea. I don't want to block his mouth when he's talking so I'll see how I can figure that out. I'm using FK for the pointing hand and the spline has lots of wobbling to clean up. Do you think IK would have been a smarter workflow move?

Thanks for your input!

#10 08-14-2012 10:26 pm

pollywoggles

I think, after clean-up, fk would work for you pretty well -- unless, at the beginning of your shot, the elbow (of the arm holding the glass) is supposed to be resting on the table.  If so, then IK would probably be easier when you try to lock that elbow down on the table.  If you try to lock that elbow down, while in FK, you might find yourself doing a lot of counter animating (unless, of course, the Moom rig has some way of locking an elbow while still in FK).

Paul

#11 08-15-2012 1:59 pm

tallsharpe
Celebrity

Ahhh, I've been using FK for that right arm the whole time. I'm posting the spline work I had so far. a lot of counter keying yea.

Direct Link

I'm gonna implement IK/FK switching where necessary as you suggested. Thanks again man. Further updates to come.

Last edited by tallsharpe (08-15-2012 1:59 pm)

#12 08-27-2012 5:18 pm

tallsharpe
Celebrity

Yo, back again with the latest. Dropping in facial animation and lip sync. W.I.P.
Enjoy.

Direct Link

#13 08-27-2012 5:25 pm

jabobob

When someone is sitting at a bar moving the glass they don't really move their shoulder that much. Obviously they use it to direct the movement of the arm in general but you wouldnt be able to actually see it as much as your portray. That is my main issue with this piece. I really like the eyes and eyebrows, i think you do a great job portraying him as drunk person. Keep up the hard work! smile

"What then is truth? A movable host of metaphors, metonymies, and anthropomorphisms: in short, a sum of human relations which have been poetically and rhetorically intensified, transferred, and embellished, and which, after long usage, seem to a people to be fixed, canonical, and binding." Friedrich Nietzsche

#14 08-27-2012 9:21 pm

tallsharpe
Celebrity

I'll address the overactive shoulder right away. thanks for the critique and I'm glad you're liking the progress so far. Any other pointers are more than welcome. Thanks again jabobob!

#15 08-30-2012 2:33 am

tallsharpe
Celebrity

Outta time, Had a lot of fun though. This definitely needs refining but here's my entry. Thanks for all the pointers. And help. any other thoughts and things to note are always welcome. good luck to all participants.
Enjoy

Direct Link

#16 10-03-2012 7:18 pm

LiesDecoutere

I like the way you animated his eyes, especially when he's talking about the stars and looks up.
It's good that he's holding something in his hand, it gives him something to do besides talking. But I think that his elbow is still sliding on the table a bit. Usually when you're leaning on your elbow, it stays at one point. It just needs a tiny bit of tweaking.

Board footer