#1 09-02-2012 9:06 pm

powl77

Eleanor

Hi there, this is my first try at 11 second club. Well, actually I tried last month but I was no where near finishing (it looked great though!) so this month I'm going for SPEED.
2nd day I thought I'd upload my progress. Obviously it is awfully sketchy at the moment, but if any of you have any advice before I push on I would love to hear it.

Direct Link

Thanks!
Steve

#2 09-02-2012 10:04 pm

pollywoggles

Re: Eleanor

It looks like this is going to be a powerful piece. 

It seems that the most complex area of the composition is that window:  it has all those parallel and diagonal lines, as well as contrasting value and multiple hues.  Having a bunch of diagonals pointing to that window (the diagonal light, the floor corner, the window pane, even lines from the shadowy character) also keeps directing my eye to it.   Is it possible to loose that window?  The yellow jumpsuit and glass divider conveys prison perfectly fine to me. 

I am also thinking that empty chair, with it's value difference and the beam of light crossing it, might also be an extra distraction.

Paul

#3 09-03-2012 6:17 am

Skyefish

great stuff so far. id make her grip the table and lean forward (almost getting up) on that last "havent i". hope it helps tongue

i will sleep when i'm dead :-P

#4 09-03-2012 6:22 pm

ctedin1

Really interesting choice. I like the set. It would be great if she built up her energy to the point of "Live a Little" where she might place her hands desperatley against the glass, press into the glass on "before I die", then the guard slams her back down on her chair in the quiet paused moment, then she could deliver her line, being held down by the guard, "haven't I?" Just a thought. It seems to have a constant energy level throughout, and no real acting beats yet.

#5 09-03-2012 7:21 pm

powl77

Nice, great advice. This is a great, thought I was gonna get told to come back when I had something to show lol.

@pollywoggles good points, there wasn't really a plan when I started laying out, I think I was going for a dr. caligari thing (weird angles, repeated bars/barcode motif) but it does kind of distract. I guess I wanted to break the composition up a bit and hoped the orange jumpsuit and hair would be enough to pull u back to the character. Will give it a go without.

@skyefish & ctedlin 1 Both great ideas. I went for less action at this point as I have a horrible habit of setting the bar way higher than I can achieve. But it's going faster than expected so will try to work it in tongue

#6 09-26-2012 9:18 pm

powl77

Hi again, 2 things please smile

1) Next month I'm finally going to dip my toe into the big bad world of 3d animation, and I just wondered if any of you sexy 3d hotshots had any advice? What's the industry standard? Should I go for 3dsMax or Maya, or something else? Any good books you can recommend?

2) This is pretty much my submission for this month, I've been looking at it far too long, are there any bits I should clean up before the deadline? Baring in mind it's too late to add anyother characters and stuff..

Direct Link

Thanks again!
Also, can we do something more fun next month? All this emotion is hard..

Last edited by powl77 (09-26-2012 9:19 pm)

#7 09-27-2012 3:22 pm

eddie j
Participator
Karmojo: 6

This have a great design on it. I like the way you added the hand on the glass that was a nice touch.
For your first question you should go for the autodesk MAYA program I think most of the people here uses it. I do also and i always recommend the animator's surivival kit book. but im sure you have that book.

you can check my creditability on my site
www.youtube.com/bronzeplaya

#8 09-27-2012 7:33 pm

powl77

Ooh, kinda surrealist, I like it

Board footer