#1 09-16-2012 4:21 am

starshock12
Helper
Karmojo: 18

September Work in Progress

Hello everyone ! Here is my first rough blocking and layout. Comments and critiques are vastly appreciated! I'm really enjoying working on this so far.

"A studious university student stays up late in the library to finish her pile of homework, alone. She ponders deeply into her current role of life."

Direct Link

One technical problem that I have with uploading to Youtube is that the timing is really messed up, some frames get chopped off, the animation's timing is much faster, etc. Is there any way to fix this? Or maybe it's just a problem on my end?

Last edited by starshock12 (09-16-2012 4:51 am)

#2 09-16-2012 12:57 pm

dclark

Re: September Work in Progress

Love the action with the coffee cup. I would probably add another pose towards the end though for "haven't I?" It can be subtle, just make sure to switch up the body language a little bit.  Is this going to be 2D or 3D? If you got the time to do it in 2D, it would be cool to see how you handle the cluttered, depressing library background. Also, definitely go with the colors you are using right now. They are contributing to the scene greatly IMO.

Richard Williams: "Excuse me, uh, Milt but do you ever listen to classic music while you are animating?"
Milt Kahl:"OF ALL THE FFFSSSTUPID QUESTIONS!!! I"M NOT SMART ENOUGH TO THINK OF MORE THAN ONE THING AT A TIME!"
Richard Williams:"I-I won't do it anymore..."

#3 09-17-2012 3:40 am

starshock12
Helper

Hey dclark! Thanks so much for your comment and for the advice. I didn't have an idea on how to finish the last 3 seconds last night so I left it hanging on the last pose. Sorry about that! I'm working on 2D, and I really do want to show a depressingly cluttered, lonely library at nighttime so I was hoping that the colors would pull through!

I've worked on it a bit more today. I'm hoping to add the in-betweens whenever I feel like the timing is solid enough. I'll also start finishing up the layouts.

Direct Link

Youtube still poses a problem with fudging up with the timing. Bah.

Last edited by starshock12 (09-17-2012 3:44 am)

#4 09-17-2012 5:10 pm

dclark

That is excellent work! I really like how you cut to another shot of a passing custodian cleaning a table. Also like the timing a lot better. I feel like the character is frantic and can have some over the top movements which I know a lot of people may avoid. The double take of coffee is clever as well. The only thing you might want to do is have her slam her fist down on "die" and have either the coffee cup fall or pencil roll. But the thing with that is there isn't a clanging sound at that part so it may not work. Other than that, it is even better than before. Can't wait to see it fully animated!

Richard Williams: "Excuse me, uh, Milt but do you ever listen to classic music while you are animating?"
Milt Kahl:"OF ALL THE FFFSSSTUPID QUESTIONS!!! I"M NOT SMART ENOUGH TO THINK OF MORE THAN ONE THING AT A TIME!"
Richard Williams:"I-I won't do it anymore..."

#5 09-17-2012 9:31 pm

Lily W.

I like this too. It reminds me of trying to pull an all-nighter before a big exam. In that situation, for me at least, the thing she "deserves" at the end, i.e. "the right to live a little" is sleep. So I would like to see her put her head down and get ready to take a nap on her desk. I did this all the time. I would fall asleep in the library on top of my books pretty frequently. But that is just my experience.

#6 09-17-2012 10:03 pm

starshock12
Helper

Dclark! Lily! Thanks for your input! I really appreciate them!

dclark; Thanks a lot! I wasn't sure if I was pushing the envelope too much by animating quick, broad movements, but I feel that it fits with the situation that she's gotten into. Yeah, I think I could alter the "... before I die" to be a bit more dramatic, too bad that there's a limit to what I can do when it comes to sound effect. I'll whip up my sketchbook and do some thumbnailing/brainstorming during break at my job tonight and I'll see if I can't make any better modifications.

Lily W.; Ha ha, we've all been in that situation, haven't we? Sleeping as a reward is a good idea, but I feel like it won't fit well into the dialogue... I'll see what I can do though. Thanks for your input!

Direct Link

I've started doing in betweens on 2's today before going to work. I've only done until she stops taking a big gulp of her coffee cup. The rest is unchanged from yesterday (for now.)

Last edited by starshock12 (09-17-2012 10:14 pm)

Board footer