#1 08-03-2012 1:52 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Yes entering, no WIP though.

Recently someone commented that with the number of final entries there should be more activity on the forums WIP board! Well this is a simple thread to say "I'm entering" for August, but I won't be putting up a WIP for two reasons:

1) It is my hope that I've totally thought outside the box this go around, and I'm interested to see if that's true. The only way I can really do that is to not say a word about it before I enter. If there are others that are similar even though I didn't share my idea, I think that will be a very good indication that I need to "think outside the box" first, but then throw away that concept and think outside THAT box as well. smile So this month my focus is on my thought process more than my actual animation. I hope to learn a good lesson out of it.

2) I'm relaunching FredtheMonkey.com in October, so the bulk of my time over the next two months will be spent on that. As a result, there won't be a lot of time dedicated to getting feedback on this month, even though I know how useful that is. After the relaunch, I'll likely return to trying 100% here at the club.

Anyway, figured I'd share those thoughts so it wasn't a surprise when there were more entries in August than WIP thread!

Good luck, everyone!

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#2 08-03-2012 5:50 pm

rjt

Re: Yes entering, no WIP though.

IMHO it shouldn't matter if two or more people come up with the same idea for a dialogue shot...it's your execution that sets you apart from the rest, and no two entries can have the exact same animation frame by frame, unless this has already happened before.

i personally enjoy watching the progression of a shot...it shows what a person did to get to a certain point. it's disappointing to see people refuse to post progress in fear of being copied. i personally think coming up with an original idea is great! but your execution is far more important, especially in an animation site. just my 2 cents. good luck! smile

#3 08-03-2012 6:26 pm

Sundaynights

I would appreciate some WIP posts, since I am here to learn and want to see how others work. I am totally new to animation (well you see that in my WIP very clearly ^^) and I wanna learn and get critic and ideas how to improve. It's importend to get feedback. Without feedback not so much improvement. But it's everyones own choice to post a WIP or not and I respect that.

Looking forward to your out of the box idea! (and if you change it midways it would be cool to see the original and maybe talk about why you changed it!)

Have fun!

Lifelong learning!

#4 08-03-2012 8:37 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

rjt wrote:

i personally enjoy watching the progression of a shot...it shows what a person did to get to a certain point. it's disappointing to see people refuse to post progress in fear of being copied. i personally think coming up with an original idea is great! but your execution is far more important, especially in an animation site. just my 2 cents. good luck! smile

Oh don't get me wrong! I don't fear being copied. I agree with you, bring on the competition! It makes everyone better.

No, in this case what I'm saying is I won't know if my idea is as "out of the box" as I think it is unless I DON'T tell anyone about it. Because if I post it all here, and there end up being several like it in the final contest, one of two things happened:
1) I didn't really come up with a very original idea at all.
2) My idea was so original, several people stole it.

In that case I have no way of knowing which it was, so I don't know if the idea was original. My goal for this month is to find OUT if my idea is original. Then for the future I'll be able to better judge if the things I think are unique really ARE, or if I'm just on the same wavelength as a lot of folks. Does that make sense? For example, two previous months I thought I had decently original ideas, but then there were five or six similar ones to mine. I have no idea if the concept was copied or if I just didn't think enough outside the box. I need to know that, for my own purposes going forward.

Plus, as I said, I don't have time to make it absolutely fantastic this month. Too many other things going on. So I'll use the situation I'm in to learn something else! And next month it will be back to posting full WIP stuff, from Day 1. smile

Last edited by JKR (08-03-2012 8:42 pm)

---

#5 08-05-2012 3:03 am

wellings
Model Citizen
Karmojo: 51
Productive!

I'm feelin' ya on that one JKR. Originality is a terrific ability for an animator to possess. Although professional animators are restricted in that they have to follow a storyboard (I guess I'm speaking of 3d animators here) there is still lots of room for creativity. If you as an animator can take a scene from a storyboard and inject some wildly original poses and life into it then all the better! I think that extra level of creativity and originality is what separates the good animators from the great ones. Trying to improve your ability to "think outside the box" is never a bad thing. As you say the only way you can know if your idea is original is to keep it to yourself. Interested to see what you come up with...good luck!

#6 08-05-2012 3:27 am

Nonsense
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 45

Hey JKR, I hate to break it to ya but if your thinking of doing a chess game. Its totally inside the box!   XD

#7 08-05-2012 6:27 pm

aja
Administrator
Karmojo: 35
Administrator

Chess game!!  Chess game!!  big_smile

#8 08-05-2012 9:29 pm

heymikey
Rockstar
Karmojo: 80
Productive!

LOL...chess game. that's NEVER been done before... ;p
one thing you might consider is that the first thing that comes to your mind is probably going to come to a lot of people's minds as well...unless of course your idea is blatantly original and you have no doubts about it...so perhaps don't settle for what comes to mind...listen to the audio on repeat and soak in every sound and vocal nuance and try to think of how you could apply those sounds to various scenarios...this is often actually the hardest part of the whole process...yes, it can take a while, but eventually you will think of something that fits everything that you hear AND is supported by an original scenario.

#9 08-06-2012 12:05 am

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Nonsense wrote:

Hey JKR, I hate to break it to ya but if your thinking of doing a chess game. Its totally inside the box!   XD

GOSH DARN IT! That's exactly what I was going to do! A chess game, played by ONE person but as if he had TWO personalities! I can't believe someone guessed it. Well, back to the drawing board...

Hmm... Maybe... some kind of... guy with a gun...

heymikey wrote:

one thing you might consider is that the first thing that comes to your mind is probably going to come to a lot of people's minds as well...unless of course your idea is blatantly original and you have no doubts about it...so perhaps don't settle for what comes to mind...listen to the audio on repeat and soak in every sound and vocal nuance and try to think of how you could apply those sounds to various scenarios...this is often actually the hardest part of the whole process...yes, it can take a while, but eventually you will think of something that fits everything that you hear AND is supported by an original scenario.

That's a great point. I think early on that's exactly what was happening. I was going with an early concept and when I did that a lot of OTHER people had that concept too! I guess that's bound to happen. So yes, I've been trying to toss my first idea, then toss my second, then consider my third and then go with one after that. So far it hasn't worked, so maybe I need to get to my 10th idea. smile

This month I feel like I really do have something I myself wouldn't have considered before (I came up with it pretty randomly, just taking an "idea walk" and finding something that surprised even me) so fingers crossed that it's actually original. smile

Or not. I mean, honestly, my goal here is to learn a lesson. If that lesson ends up being "you need to work a lot harder if you want totally unique concepts" then that's cool with me. The end-game is to LEARN, you know?

---

#10 08-06-2012 4:11 am

wellings
Model Citizen
Productive!

I like your attitude JKR. I think it will take you far. Looking forward to seeing what your brain came up with this month!

#11 08-31-2012 7:20 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Aaaaaaaaaand done! Signed, sealed, and delivered. I look forward to tomorrow and going through the entries! Looks like there are a ton this month, which is great because then my experiment to test for creativity will have a great number of chances to prove right or wrong, whichever the case may be!

Good luck to everyone still finishing up. Next month I don't think I'll have time to enter (relaunching FredtheMonkey.com on October 1st) but I'll try to stop by frequently and keep in touch on the boards!

Ah summer, where did you go...

---

#12 09-04-2012 10:54 am

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

Yay, found it! And yes, it definitely is a unique idea! I like it, but that's no surprise for me smile I'm not sure if I understood the pun in it though (I'm often a bit slow with that) but maybe you can explain it to me further as soon as the voting is over...

#13 09-04-2012 5:49 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Well I guess at this point there's no reason to not post it here or anything. smile

Direct Link

I'm not sure what pun you mean, though... It's not so much a joke as just something different from the standard "Old guy and young kid human" idea that I was sure would be 99% of the entries (and yes, was).

I'm glad the concept was original. Now I can go back to posting my work in progress for future entries, knowing the result of this experiment! As for this entry, I'm happy with the concept and art, but there obviously needed to be a LOT more actual animation. That part wasn't very good.

---

#14 09-05-2012 2:34 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Well apart from a base guitar usually being a lot larger than a classical guitar, I would have nothing to complain here. Sure you didn't animate as much as others did, but how should guitars move, anyways? smile

#15 09-05-2012 8:59 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

wolfor wrote:

Well apart from a base guitar usually being a lot larger than a classical guitar, I would have nothing to complain here. Sure you didn't animate as much as others did, but how should guitars move, anyways? smile

Probably at LEAST as much as a clock and candelabra. wink

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8wki9BMc41r8acgso1_500.gif

Gotta set my goals high!!!

---

#16 09-05-2012 9:14 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

JKR wrote:

Probably at LEAST as much as a clock and candelabra. wink
Gotta set my goals high!!!

At least they got arms and some sort of legs... well one of them big_smile

And, booh you're still not getting that Productive badge sad Well, maybe next time smile

Last edited by wolfor (09-05-2012 9:15 pm)

#17 09-06-2012 12:16 am

heymikey
Rockstar
Karmojo: 80
Productive!

wolfor wrote:

And, booh you're still not getting that Productive badge sad Well, maybe next time smile

Yes he will get it next time! it happened to me after 12 and you're on 11 so one more! I really liked your guitar idea by the way...i agree the wasn't much actual animation, but what's there works very well, i'm surprised you didn't finish higher just for your original idea...god luck next time amigo!

#18 09-06-2012 3:53 am

wellings
Model Citizen
Productive!

I think I ranked you around 50th this month JKR. I had no idea it was your entry, but I found it quite charming and the idea certainly stood out to me. I remember watching the first half thinking "okay..." and then when the audio got to "I owned the stage" I went "oh, clever".
Good job with your idea (which was the whole point for you this month anyway)
smile

#19 09-06-2012 12:18 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Productive!

Thanks folks! I'm going to work extra hard next go around (which may not be until October or November, but eventually)!

---

Board footer