#1 08-07-2012 2:50 pm

jamespwaters
Tipster
Karmojo: 21

August 2012 WIP

Hi all,

I am currently working on a short for this month's competition and I have decided that will revolve around an elderly man and a boy.  I have worked out the animation poses for the elderly man and I have blocked most of them out.  I haven't yet decided on some poses for the boy yet and I haven't yet decided on an environment,

Please take a look and tell me what you think of the poses and animation that I have got so far and anything else that you would like to say about the concept overall.  Thank you smile

Direct Link

#2 08-07-2012 9:04 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Re: August 2012 WIP

Seems okay, but a little flat. This audio is full of emotion, so it should have a camera angle to match that emotion. Right now it's too "full front shot" for that, so try tweaking the camera position a bit and see what you come up with. Keep at it!

Another thing to consider is that 99 out of 100 people are going to be doing nearly this exact same story/concept. That's fine if you just want to focus entirely on your animation, no worries. You might also consider going in a different-than-usual direction, though, since when it comes time to vote people are going to quickly tire of seeing almost that exact same scene. Just a thought. smile

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#3 08-08-2012 11:27 am

jamespwaters
Tipster

Thank you, JKR.  Yes that is a thought, I may need to be a bit more subversive regarding the scenario and also the surroundings so I will consider that.  Yes I think I am definitely going to have multiple camera shots in the final piece; maybe a few to convey the boy's emotion a bit more, as he has no dialogue.

#4 08-08-2012 12:10 pm

SvenS

For me it's pretty hard to tell what's going on right now. Do you have a backstory to this dialogue? I think it could help you in making decisions about what pose you will use and what the emotions of both characters are. Try to work that out before animating since that will help you big time in choosing what the characters will do, how they move.

You got some spare time? I would highly appreciate it if you'd visit my website! www.stroomberg-productions.com

#5 08-09-2012 11:56 am

jamespwaters
Tipster

Thanks, SvenS.  I need to work out a backstory actually.  I was initially thinking of something involving them sitting in a hilly field observing the stars.  But lately, I have considered a whole new scenario involving the elderly man and the boy in which the boy has to leave the planet in a ship but the elderly man must stay behind.  Only thing is that will involve more modelling haha.

#6 08-09-2012 1:47 pm

SvenS

Well, if I have to choose I'd make you go for the spaceship version, sounds way more original than the first one! But the extra modeling does indeed sound like an extra challenge. I'll leave it up to you wink

You got some spare time? I would highly appreciate it if you'd visit my website! www.stroomberg-productions.com

#7 08-29-2012 7:11 pm

Skyefish

erm try not to move everything at the same time. :-)

i will sleep when i'm dead :-P

Board footer