#1 08-20-2012 1:19 pm

jdameron

August Wip

Direct Link

Hey everyone, I am hoping to get some tips on what I've done so far. I'm fairly new to character animation and I'm just now finding out how hard acting is. I hope the mirror idea reads clearly.

#2 08-20-2012 6:18 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

Re: August Wip

I like it a lot already! One thing I'd suggest is speed up a little bit of the movement at some point, because right now things seem very evenly spaced. Contrast is always what you're after, so get some quick movement in there to balance out the slow, subtle stuff.

Keep at it!

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#3 08-21-2012 6:39 am

A_
Helper
Karmojo: 12

This is really great! I agree with JKR, it's a bit too even. Maybe Keep him a bit longer looking close at the mirror after "dream". Then you'll get a different pace for 'I own the stage'. One more thing - I think the timing of his turning around is a bit off. Try either push it earlier or later. Just my feeling. I could be wrong, though, I don't have a lot of experience. wink
But I really like the overall animation, it's very smooth and full of character.

#4 08-21-2012 2:11 pm

jdameron

Thanks for the kind words and advice! I did some adjusting to the timing and added the lip sync. I'm pretty happy with how its going. 

Direct Link

#5 08-22-2012 6:39 am

jtmuller
Helper
Karmojo: 12

Hey Jdameron,

I think this shot could benefit from loosening up your character. Have your character break the X access. "When I was little" is great. The character looks towards its viewer.. but screen right is feeling pretty lonely throughout the shot. By adding an accent.. a body shift.. or a hand gesture (live my dream) can help involve more of the stage and make the shot more entertaining.

( I live my dream is a great point to add something personal ) What is your characters dream? To be a girl? To wear make up? to be beautiful? Ask yourself these questions from time to time while you are watching your shot. It can open new doors to a more personal and believable acting choice that your audience can relate to.

Is your character answering these questions?

Nice shot!

#6 08-22-2012 7:54 am

Aloke316
Participator
Karmojo: 10

the hips throughout he animation is not translating in X axis....   The whole animation and concept is good.....i only didnt understand the Last gesture for "own the stage"

#7 08-22-2012 10:30 pm

jdameron

Thanks, really great advice. I have learned so much from this site. Here is another go with a more personal "live the dream" bit, and an outstretched pose at the end.

Direct Link

#8 08-23-2012 1:34 am

pollywoggles

I'm loving this. 

There are parts that feel floaty.  I think they could be fixed by giving a few places a little more snap and greater moving holds.  A couple suggestions for this:  1.  Perhaps, make the action where he turns to the camera a little faster, and then have it sit on a hold a little longer.  2. Another area for a longer moving hold would be when he holds out his hands when he says "stage," then make the transition with hands when they go to the chest at the end a little more snappy.  3.  Give the left hand a little more of a hold when it is on the table (just before he says, "I own the...").  Even though the movement in the hand feels right, it does seem like a little too much motion not directly related to the point of interest.

When he lefts up his hand to cap the mascara, it feels like there needs to be a little more ease.

Paul

#9 08-29-2012 3:20 pm

jdameron

Thanks so much for taking the time to point out such specifics. I adjusted those areas a little and I'm very happy with it.

Board footer