#1 05-14-2012 12:55 pm

wolfor
Rockstar
Karmojo: 75

MC 31: Eeek! A Monster!

Hi all!
This time round, I think it would be cool to step back from full body action and take a stab at the face again.

Thanks to this thread and especially Kyle's post I got the idea to give you a setting and you animate the character reacting to it according to it's personality.

So, to start with something rather simple, have your character being faced with a hideous monster.

Quoting KyleG, your character could for instance react this way:

A strong heroic soldier would react by puffing up his chest and grabbing a gun
A scared scientist would scream and start to shake
A young girl may scream a pass out
A young boy may look at it in wonder and smile

But there are multitudes of ways you could animate this encounter.

This Animation doesn't have to be that long, I'd keep it at 75 frames for now, so make sure all your poses are clearly readable and instantly understandable.
You don't need to have the monster visible either, rather concentrate on showing your character's emotions.

Deadline would be at June 4th, so you don't have any excuses to not participate big_smile

Here's a link to how to use the dropbox, please try and keep the videos below 10 MB, and if any more questions arise, Steve did a nice FAQ here.

Now have fun!

Cheers!

WOlfi

#2 05-16-2012 5:43 am

baglunch
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

Re: MC 31: Eeek! A Monster!

"So, to start with something rather simple..."

Are future mini-challenges going to build on this one?

This is my signature line.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.

#3 05-16-2012 8:03 am

wolfor
Rockstar

#4 05-16-2012 11:48 pm

Mr. Bear

No no, I like the sound of this. I love all of these mini challenges.

#5 05-17-2012 7:16 am

raghunandan.iyengar

I actually dint get this challenge properly ... could you elaborate a bit?

#6 05-17-2012 9:24 am

wolfor
Rockstar

raghunandan.iyengar wrote:

I actually dint get this challenge properly ... could you elaborate a bit?

Sure, it's pretty easy, you animate a character facing a hideous monster. You don't need to animate the monster. According to the character traits of the character, this animation can become pretty diverse. 75 Frames. Try to put your focus on the face, but don't neglect the body just because I said so big_smile

#7 05-18-2012 9:56 pm

baglunch
Upright Citizen
Karmojo: 48

It's ok if the character isn't literally "facing" the monster, right?  I'm going with a "I know the monster is in here somewhere... and now I hear it right behind me but I'm too afraid to turn around".

This is my signature line.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.

#8 05-18-2012 10:31 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Of course! I left this challenge very undefined so its up to your imagination how this is going about!

I'm really looking forward to what you all come up with!

#9 05-30-2012 7:15 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

Hmm... This didn't go too well... Where would you all rather want to participate, then? Shall I try to create some more basic challenges again?

#10 05-30-2012 8:22 pm

J.K. Riki
Rockstar
Karmojo: 79
Productive!

I like the slightly more simpler ones, but this one seemed like it would be a lot of fun too. For me it was that I'm rushing to finish my main 11 Second piece.

I almost wonder if these would be better suited to run the first two weeks of each month, instead of every two weeks? I imagine a ton of people are up against the main-contest deadline towards the end (though I could be wrong) so perhaps that's why there wasn't as much involvement this go around.

I dunno! I don't think we'll ever really understand why sometimes folks show up in droves and sometimes you can hear a pin drop.

Animator Island - for Secrets of Animation, updated Mondays
---
Creative Inspiration weekly at JKRiki.com

#11 05-30-2012 8:48 pm

wolfor
Rockstar

This could very well be, yes... But this challenge still runs until June 4th, so there is still some time to participate big_smile
I think I'll try to find something simpler again on the next round. Have already something that might be quite some fun to do smile

JKR wrote:

I dunno! I don't think we'll ever really understand why sometimes folks show up in droves and sometimes you can hear a pin drop.

[rambling]
This reminds me of my brother telling me a story of his study time in Sweden, where you could wander into the post office at one random time in the afternoon, and nobody's there, and just half an hour later its packed, and another half hour later, its empty again. I don't think this attributes to Swedish post offices only, but it seemed to be very significant there big_smile [/rambling]

#12 05-31-2012 2:04 pm

MattJ
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 39

I was planning on posting my blocking WIP tonight for this.  Does seem slow going, but I like the challenge!

Matt -

Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere - Ratatouille
Animation Drop
Animation Exercises

Board footer