#1 09-20-2011 9:27 am

PMarson

Recent Graduate?

Hi Guys,

I have just finished uni a few months ago now and am seeking a full time job in the 3d world, i have applied to so many jobs but its very hard to find places that are taking on recent graduate`s, anyone got any tips on how i can go about getting a full time job, or maybe even point me in the direction were there might be some going?

Thanks

Phil

#2 09-20-2011 1:31 pm

Jackwaller
Upstanding Citizen
Karmojo: 36

Re: Recent Graduate?

Hi Phil,

Why don't you add your demo reel on here and we can take a look. Its the most important thing and essentially is whats going to get you your interviews.

#3 09-20-2011 1:39 pm

AFightingPanda
Celebrity
Karmojo: 68

Yes your demo reel is #1 for sure.  You also need to make a solid effort to start networking.  If there are any kind of events in your area that you can go to and meet fellow animators, preferably people who are working in the industry, then that is great.  Go meet and greet, get their contact info, and just keep in contact with them.  Something may crop up eventually that these guys might think you are suited for, or not.  There are no guarantees but it helps your chances.  I think the big thing though is going to be the demo reel.  Go ahead and post it up somewhere for us to look at and we will go from there.

“It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.” - Walt Disney

#4 09-20-2011 1:57 pm

PMarson

okay cheers guys, here is my link to my site, the showreel is on the first page, my showreel is not as strong as some peoples i have seen, but any criticism or tips anyone has i would be very happy to listen!!big_smile

www.phillipmarson7.wordpress.com

Thanks again

Last edited by PMarson (09-20-2011 1:58 pm)

#5 09-20-2011 2:39 pm

AFightingPanda
Celebrity

I just have to ask.  What do you want to do?  Do you want to be an animator? A modeler?  What is your goal career wise?  Are you shooting to be an animator in games?  a modeler for films?  Just run us through what you are trying to achieve.  Once I have a more clear vision of what you are going for I will be able to give you better recommendations.

#6 09-20-2011 3:17 pm

PMarson

well this is the thing, i like to do a number of things be it modelling, animation or fx etc. i would also love to work for either games studios or film studios, im in quite a pickle!

#7 09-20-2011 5:13 pm

AFightingPanda
Celebrity

Right.  Well, here is the deal.  It is way easier to get employed if you have one skill that you can devote all of your time to, in order to be good enough to get employed.  It is great that you like all of those things and its good to have an appreciation, but you really need to up the ante on one skill to get your foot in the door.  Once you get in you can work on expanding your knowledge base outward.  In the end though you need to be specific on what you want and where you want to go and where you want to work so that you can tailor make a reel/portfolio that has the best chance of getting you a job.  I am going to be honest with you though.  Whichever direction you decide to go you have a long way to go before you are going to be at an employable level.  Your animation is lacking a lot in terms of basic mechanics and acting.  As far as your modeling goes you don't have a very large body of work on your reel so you would need to make more stuff.  On the modeling front though I don't know very much and it would be best to go talk to some pro modeling guys instead.  If you are interested in their opinion head on over to polycount.com which is a great community of modelers.  Once you have a more clear path in mind we can give you some more specific advice to help you get there.

#8 09-21-2011 5:25 pm

PMarson

ok, cheers, thanks for the advice smile

#9 09-30-2011 10:20 am

mehamgul101

Well job seeking is so easy in those days you need to search all jobs according to your criteria from the Google search engine it could provide you jobs and don,t worry you will get so easily a nice job

Board footer